PEAX Equipment

Thoughts on E-scouting thread/videos

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
So, out of some wild ass idea, I decided to apply for an archery mule deer tag in Utah. I beat the odds and drew. I've never stepped foot in the joint. I have no idea about it, other than doing some research prior to the application, I found mixed comments regarding the quality of the tag. All comments where that it is a rugged unit with low deer densities. Which causes me to wonder why even with 6 points, my odds based on last year would have been around 9%. Why such poor draw odds on a hunt with such mixed comments as to the quality? Many years, archery success has been 0%, with some years as high as 67%. Not many tags issued, so the huge fluctuation in success rates is not unexpected.

One of the most comment emails/PMs/questions I get is, "When you draw these tags in places you've never been, how do you go about deciding when/where/how to hunt it?'

I am wondering if there would be any interest in me doing a thread on the approach we take, knowing full well that many are not under the confines that filming places on us. How we do it might be impacted by the filming issue, but it seems with our situation being more restrictive, that might still make it applicable to others and their hunts.

Even though this is an archery mule deer hunt, the system I use is the same process I go through for rifle hunts or elk hunts. The reason I am willing to go into this depth on this tag is that their is only one non-resident archery tag available. The odds already suck. So, us talking about the unit and having to show some of the mapping features, would not ruin the hunt for a bunch of other people. In many other places we go, there are many other tag holders and I would not want to shine that much attention on an area and mess it up for other current or future tag holders. I would probably not do this in any other unit, due to the focus it might place on a location, exerting excess application and hunting pressure.

Thoughts?

As someone in the midst of e-scouting/map reading right now (I had to move a map out of the way just to type this) - I'd love to see this.

I'm in! I think it could be helpful to a lot of us east of the Mississippi that won't place a foot down in the units we hunt until we get there in the fall.

Great idea, but don't leave out what would be different if you weren't filming.

I think a lot of us would like to hunt different places but just do not have any idea where to start. Please do this so we feel more comfortable in branching out and what to do in order to achieve our dreams!

Living on the east coast, this has the potential to be one of my all time favorite threads on any of the forums I frequent.

Please do it!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back