Thoughts on binos

174in

western big game would you go with a 10x42 or 10x50. I will be useing a spotting scope also

8X42 or 10X50 are your best options for most glassing you will be doing. 10X42 will have a smaller field of view, and probably not worth the weight savings when considering what you give up in the FOV, compared to 10X50.

I use 8X42. I shake too bad, and I get seasick trying to look through the higher 10 power

Randy, isn't it magnification decrease that increases fov?...not objective size increase?

For hand held viewing, I use 8X42. Mostly standing, unsupported.
10X42 vs 10X50, it's really your call. Check the weight of each, and compare stability and weight vs 8X, and make the choice that works for you.

Randy, isn't it magnification decrease that increases fov?...not objective size increase?

As I understand it, it is a function of both. I always thought that field of view is a function of angle of view and magnification. Angle of view being smaller as the objective lense size decreases when magnification stays the same. Therefore, smaller angle of view results in smaller field of view.

But, this is based on my engineering physics classes taken 25 years ago. That is a long time ago, so maybe the rules of physics changed over that era, or my state of sobriety caused me to misinterpret what Professor Greenlees was teaching. :confused:

Would like to know if anyone else has this same thought about what affects FOV.

My thoughts were along the same lines as Fin regarding FOV, but it appears that NHY may be right.

Definition of FOV from opticsplanet:

Field of view (FOV) is the amount of area seen through your scope from right to left at 100 yards. As magnification is increased, FOV is lessened. As magnification is decreased, FOV is increased. For example, a typical 3X variable scope might have a FOV at 100 yards of a bit over 30 feet, and at 9X, the FOV would be around 14 feet. A larger objective lens will not change these figures.

I like big glass, and would choose 10x50's. I currently carry 10x56's, which weight about three pounds. Heavier than most would care to carry. When I get closer to NHY's age, I'll probably downsize.

FWIW, Cabelas has their Leupold Gold Rings on for half price. Have also been hearing quite a fuss over Zen Ray ED2's. Haven't handled either.

The second number describes the objective lens diameter, or the size of the front lenses, in millimeters. Since larger lenses collect more light, the greater this second number, the brighter images will appear (other factors being equal). That's useful for improved low-light viewing. You'll also get a wider field of view with larger objective lenses (more on field of view below).

This shows why you shouldn't always trust the internet. From my 5 minutes of browsing, I have found contradictory information about FOV and objective lens size.

go look thru some 10x25's and then 10x50's and tell me which one has a bigger field of view---10x50's win here--so it's the size of the obj lense--but the power size does play some also so it's not all obj lense, but most of it is when you're talking about the sizes we are---difference between 8x42 and 10x50 FOV isn't worth discussing IMO---buy which one you want---only thing I'd add is, as you age you will want more power, so maybe the buying of the 10x binos is smart---good luck---chris

would you go with a 10x42 or 10x50.

10x42 SLC and 10x42 EL FOV @ 100 330. 10x50 SLC FOV @ 100 336...10x42 EL HD Swarovision FOV @ 100 336.

10x50 SLC 40 0z. 10x42 SLC 30 0z...EL's 28 0z. More exit pupil with 50's (5 versus 4.2)

I agree with Randy on the steadiness and reduced eye strain of the 8x powers but have always used 10's.

Along with the Zen Ray's, I've heard similar good comments about Promasters. IIRC, they are very similar to the alpha's, just completely assembled in China, thus the lower price.

I"ve carried 10X42 leicas for a long time. I also carry a walking stick to use as a rest for long distance glassing while standing. Works well for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back