Caribou Gear Tarp

This stuff makes me sick!

Honestly I think people do these kinds of things for as many reasons as there are violations. Some do it out of anger towards fish and game, the land owner, people in general. Some do it because they just love to kill or love to get away with killing. Some just do it because they can. Whatever their reason the end result is a sad one.

Here's an idea...
$10k minimum fine for poaching. $1k (once collected) goes to the person who turns them in.

What is so discouraging is the moose poaching. Montana and across the west has seen significant population drops recently and every year I hear about cow moose getting poached. I am sure the biologist is beyond mad losing a radio collared moose to poaching.

I like the idea of increasing the fines 10 times from current levels and using some of that money to pay the person who gave the tip... maybe if the fines were much higher it would curb some of this poaching.

The game wardens here in OK have a Facebook page where they post a lot of the cases tent work on. I wish they would post pics of the guilty parties. There is a lot of poaching that goes on though. It's nice to see them at work solving cases though.

Here in nevada we have had a six elk poached all we're either cows or calves and in the same units 072-074 just suck people would do something stupid like that. If your family was starving I would not look down on you for doing what you need for surivial but just to let them rot is just wrong.

double_a, totally agree. I remember many years ago at a check station in Colorado they had moose parts off to the side - when I asked, we were told that apparently a hunter mistook the moose for a cow elk. Really?!?! There is absolutely no way that could be a legitimate answer from a hunter about that illegal kill. I just don't get it. Seriously. They don't even look similar other than they both have 4 legs!!! Distinctly different animals!

Has MT ever entertained the idea of giving points to people who tattle? I know in Washington they do and I know a few guys that have scored well on getting points. I would turn them in regardless... but I do think there are those that wont go through the trouble without a little incentive...

When I see this I always think of the people who blame the lack of game on 4 legged predators.

So sad but true.... there are some out there that are just ruining the resource for everyone. We have to step up as there aren't enough enforcement folks to handle all of it.

Studies on collared mule deer on the winter range of the east cascades in OR revealed the #1 mortality cause was POACHING. Yes, more than the big bad cougar...

Back