This Rodent Life

Dude this is the epitome of DIY, long distance NR effort. Resonates WAY better to me than most stories. I also had a deer wreck my truck right after getting home from a cross country adventure a couple years ago. Have had a LOT of deer TRY to wreck me out there with all the after dark driving I do. I hope you get back out there again next year, or whatever is soon enough according to your wants. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family.

Well, I love to see a story where hard work and patience pays off and that's exactly what this is. Great bull, great job, well earned, congratulations. Sorry about the truck and hate to hear your hunting is mostly wrapped up... but at least you can fill the time experimenting through recipes with the abundance of elk meat you've procured.

Reading your story made me think back to a crazy pack out I had. The shear determination it takes to finish the job, we ask ourselves would we do it again. Absolutely, thanks for sharing.

So at what age can you conscript your kids into meat packing?

@TOGIE and I are curious for no particular reason

At 3 they are very eager to help and can be assigned some nominal tasks like handing supplies or stacking packages. At 5 they can do a lot more, but with the level of supervision required it’s not quite efficient yet 😁

The hunting hiatus is finally over. Switched to an older model Honda Accord for the time being.

Sat AM out solo for gun deer opener. Tons of pressure, and got a fawn and small doe pushed my way and passed on them.

Today headed for a more remote area and had it all to myself. Mostly walking tall grass and kicking up deer here and there. Midday bumped a forkie and a 130” buck. I didn’t blow them out too bad, so I opted to spend the remainder of the day glassing and taking note of evening food routes of nearby deer.
7AC570E7-BD18-42F2-968D-5FF71682E714.jpeg

The last 90 minutes of light watched 4 does and a fawn funnel up a draw for supper. I think I have a good chance to ambush the buck next weekend based on anticipated movement.

I’m leaning heavily towards hanging up gun season and switching over to ML next year, which would be completely new for me. As much as I enjoy shotgun hunting, sharing the woods with gangs of AR hunters spraying everything that moves has become a little ridiculous.

I’m leaning heavily towards hanging up gun season and switching over to ML next year, which would be completely new for me. As much as I enjoy shotgun hunting, sharing the woods with gangs of AR hunters spraying everything that moves has become a little ridiculous.
I'm sure you'd experience less of that stuff during ML, but... The last late ML I hunted, I had a decent sized group push through with braced AR pistols one morning. Let's just say they weren't there to save ammo.

I'm sure you'd experience less of that stuff during ML, but... The last late ML I hunted, I had a decent sized group push through with braced AR pistols one morning. Let's just say they weren't there to save ammo.
Thanks for the info. I guess early ML is an option, where only ML pistols are allowed…for now.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back