This Rodent Life

Thanks for the info. I guess early ML is an option, where only ML pistols are allowed…for now.
Early muzzleloader has seen a lot less pressure since they changed the rules regarding hunting both muzzleloader season and shotgun hunting. I had very good luck rattling during early muzzleloader, especially if we got the first shot of cold weather.

Set up early for ambush. Saw 10 does and fawns and a 2-year-old buck. On the way out met another hunter who bumped the buck I was after. The buck was bedded about 1000 yards from where I had bumped him last weekend. I hoped to circle around and set up for an evening ambush on him but there was another truck at that access point and I opted to skip.

Moved to a different spot and walked some bedding areas. Passed on a doe and fawn, but was 1 for 2 on rabbits with the snubnose.
2400BEE4-D7BC-438B-8222-50D01D7F882C.jpeg

At 3 they are very eager to help and can be assigned some nominal tasks like handing supplies or stacking packages. At 5 they can do a lot more, but with the level of supervision required it’s not quite efficient yet 😁
My son has done a wonderful job with our now 7-year-old granddaughter in teaching her to work in the kitchen. She gets to slice fruit, cheese, some other stuff - brilliantly, he puts her in the same anit-cut gloves that I use for field dressing. Wish I'd thought of it when my son was a little guy.

David
NM

Mostly family commitments today. Wife encouraged me to slip out before dusk for a quick hunt. It was the last night on the tag, and I set up in a productive spot thinking I'd put it on a doe. Right after I posted up I spotted my target buck near his original bed at 520 yards. I got to watch him and his little buddy from post #98 for about 20 mins as they stood up and slowly their way to the next drainage over. He walks directly into prevailing the wind to feed...smart buck. It turns out the 2-year-old buck from my last post (small 3x3) is actually the "forkie" accompanying the big buck.

I got a really good look at his headgear from multiple angles tonight. The tines have little stain and look a lot like ivory in sharp contrast against the drab grass. He is also more like a solid 140 than a 130. Symmetrical 5x5 with unremarkable brow tines, average mass, 15" inside spread, and average sweep of main beams. Where he really stands out is height. G2's and G3's are about 13" and G4's are just a touch shorter. The tines tilt inward at about a 15 degree angle, so when he is looking head on it makes the shape of a gumdrop. I'm really not one to give bucks names, but I'm OK doing it here since it's not from a trailcam, haha.
gumdrop.jpg
Back to the bow to try and seal the deal in the final 3 weeks of the season. Tomorrow is good wind, but I have appointments I cannot cancel. Bitterly cold weather, wind, and snow to follow. My wife says take off work every afternoon till I kill him. Tuesday wind is impossible. Wednesday is good wind and probably my best chance 🤞🤞. Thursday and Friday are gale force winds and I guess he will relocate his bed to thicker cover, so really all the chips are on Wednesday.

Made first pack-out yesterday. The most challenging hike of my life. Terrain is very rough. Took 9 hrs to go 5.5 miles, and took several spills. The remaining four loads will be lighter. I “might” have found an easier route which is about 7 miles one way. Longer, but possibly gentler terrain. There are 2 places if I get cliffed out it’s a loss and and I’ll have to go back to the original route.

I’m figuring if I leave at 5 AM I can be back by 9 pm, and take a day off before heading back again, and repeat 3 times. I have up to 12 days to get it done, and it’s 4 bags of 60 lbs frozen meat not going anywhere.

If anyone is foolish or daring enough to make the death march with me in zero degrees it will save 1 trip. Cody area this weekend or thereabouts. Send me a PM. I’d be happy to trade intel for what is a pretty sweet opportunity to kill a monster bull in a hellhole if anyone has the ambition. It was fun once but I have no thoughts of doing this hunt again.
Missed this thread by a month or I could have come enjoyed a couple hell days! Congrats on the bull!

Weds afternoon got into position for ambush. Glassed to pass the time and saw nothing. When the snow started falling I clipped my release and got ready for a close shot. The snow soon became really heavy, reducing visibility to about 50 yards. I strained my eyes to the edge of my sight radius, searching for the dark shape of a deer. After sunset I could hear one walking, close, but could not place it. On the way out I found the deer’s tracks, about 50 yards away.

Got out for a few hours today, decided to go for small game. Productive walk, with 3 rabbits in the vest plus a bonus wingshot.
7A7ECD2E-E20F-44FA-8E3F-E09153C1FC76.jpeg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back