Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

This Rodent Life

Idk, antlers should always be the last thing out… i could be mistaken, but Im pretty sure there’s laws on it in some states..
Perhaps he just left the antler part out of the pics.. in which case I’d say, some of y’all are very sneaky to take half-empty pics just to keep the HT crowd entertained 😅

Sunday 11.6

Checked the weather report and decided I could make a quick spur camp before a storm rolled in Wednesday.

Got up early the next day and headed for the trailhead of spot A. At the last minute decided to head to the next drainage over for spot B instead. I overloaded my daypack with my heavy base camp gear, and set off. As I hiked in, the 2-track road narrowed to a SxS track, further narrowing to a bridle trail, and finally just an ancient deer path. No human tracks there since at least the previous spring. The quiet and solitude was wonderful.
CD83A3F9-6B4B-423A-81BD-BC0793C710A1.jpeg

The trail eventually became very rough, covering about 20 snow-covered rockslides, steep sidehills, willow thickets I had to crawl through, and frozen creeks. There were some 2-day-old elk tracks, but the freshest tracks belonged to another hunter.
0A61C5B4-C6B2-4DE7-8F74-3DCB23811DAB.jpeg

In one particularly nasty hole a massive old bull jumped out of his bed at 30 yards. I was so startled I fumbled my rifle but did get on him. As he ran, he stopped 4 times to turn around and look at me, and I missed 3 times offhand within 100 yards. The 4th time I didn’t click the safety off and he was gone.

I checked for blood, hair, anything. About 95% sure he was still healthy I dropped my pack (bad move…always a bad move), and followed his tracks for a mile. He eventually headed into more thick stuff and I ended pursuit.

At this point I thought I might turn him up again thru binos after sunset, but it was windy, cold, and I had just my base layer, and bino harness with a few essentials. There was no way I could sit still - I’d freeze.

I quick checked the hills for other elk, and instantly found a herd of 300 animals another mile away. I chose to return to my pack, and come kill one the next morning. I turned to leave and saw from the position of the sun I had 90 minutes of light left. I talked myself into killing an elk tonight instead.

On the way to the big group I happened on a smaller band of cows and calves. I hung tight, knowing a young bull might be with them. Sure enough a 3-year-old bull stepped into view. I crept from 325 yards to 275, calculated holdover and windage, and made a rest with a sagebrush and my bino harness.

I waited 20 minutes for a perfect broadside and the bull clear of his companions. I think adrenaline was keeping me from shivering. I waited for a lull in the wind for the steadiest shot and squeezed the trigger. I immediately realized my error of the windage calculation off with the wind lull, knowing the shot was too far back. A second follow up shot a few seconds later dropped him.
D52E7EE2-157D-4F55-895D-73AFB049A849.jpeg

What followed was a very heavy experience for me. Lots of sorrow and sadness. I had been interested in hunting bull elk since I was a kid, and have really wanted to make it happen for over ten years now. This moment was the culmination of many dreams, plans, and a lot of hard work. As I walked up on the animal he was still moving but as I got the gun ready for a final shot he breathed his last and was gone.

Just a quick pic taken, and now just an hour of light to prep the carcass. With my little backup pocket knife I gutted and quartered the bull and left the hide on, to prevent meat from freezing overnight. I was so cold!

Next AM deboned all the meat and made a dreadful packout with an already overstuffed pack. Fell many times on the rockslides and got bruised and cut up pretty bad. Back to truck at 11:30 PM and collapsed in the driver seat to sleep.

Total packout was 8 days and 60 miles. Saw not another soul the entire time. This is in an area about 8 square miles and the solitude was amazing. I got to see and hear elk every day, as well as many other wildlife. One bull even bugled his head off day after day.
B2E7500D-A0A4-4638-AF15-D427224753C4.jpegA0A85CDF-CA6F-4021-8C82-866D0F2FBCC7.jpeg5B624273-C8FE-4C51-B223-46424B6B9FA6.jpeg

Trip home last night a 3-year-old WT buck crossed in front of me on the highway, I was going 65 and nailed him. Radiator destroyed, airbag deployed, truck is toast. Getting a rental to complete the journey to IA, but unfortunately hunting is pretty much done for the year. Have to save $$ to get a new rig. Very thankful I escaped the collision with just a bloody nose from the airbag.
1250D257-42A3-4006-BF00-D4D0224F2B9D.jpeg

Trip home last night a 3-year-old WT buck crossed in front of me on the highway, I was going 65 and nailed him. Radiator destroyed, airbag deployed, truck is toast. Getting a rental to complete the journey to IA, but unfortunately hunting is pretty much done for the year. Have to save $$ to get a new rig. Very thankful I escaped the collision with just a bloody nose from the airbag.
View attachment 250443
Did you get the buck?
Did meat and chit go flying everywhere?
That sucks but makes the story that much more awesome!!!

I was thinking about you this morning as we hadn’t heard anything in a few days. Congratulations on the Elk. Sorry about the deer, but you are ok so that is all that matters!

I asked, but WY highway patrolman said they do not issue salvage tags. Buck was surprisingly intact except for road-rashed antlers. His entire right side hit my truck and he flew about 75 ft forward from the impact. He died instantly and was probably pretty jellied inside the hide though.

I kind of wish I could have kept him - at least get a little meat and a momento rack from wrecking my truck. I’m sure rutty bucks are walking under my IA treestands this week that I won’t be hunting from now.

I asked, but WY highway patrolman said they do not issue salvage tags. Buck was surprisingly intact except for road-rashed antlers. His entire right side hit my truck and he flew about 75 ft forward from the impact. He died instantly and was probably pretty jellied inside the hide though.

I kind of wish I could have kept him - at least get a little meat and a momento rack from wrecking my truck. I’m sure rutty bucks are walking under my IA treestands this week that I won’t be hunting from now.
Wyoming does have a new program to obtain roadkill animals, I'm surprised the patrolman didn't mention this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back