Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

This Memorial Weekend...

Sytes

If you're inclined, post a picture of those we honor year round with a Nationally recognized, "Holiday" dedicated to them, him and her.

For myself, Memorial weekend is a somber holiday dedicated to our greatest men and women who have fallen for our great country. The only glass, bottle, or can I shall clank is not out of joy for paid days off, but out of sobering respect for those who gave all so I may walk this hallowed ground.

To my Uncle John. I love you.

FB_IMG_1527272971924.jpg

I believe our flag is more than just cloth and ink. It is a universally recognized symbol that stands for liberty, and freedom. It is the history of our nation, and it’s marked by the blood of those who died defending it. - John Thune

That was a great read, thanks 3855. Hadn't read about the Confederate women decorating the few union soldiers buried w/ their confederate Americans. Endearing, to say the least. The article below touches on it, in some regard.
I saw this a couple year back regarding the history of Memorial Day, originally named, "Decoration Day" for sake of decorating burial sites. Apparently, it's updated on occasion.

I remember 18 from my unit who were killed at Nasiriyah, 3-23-2003. Two were close friends.

Mike was a true patriot. After 9/11 he left his contractor business to enlist. He was over a decade older than the rest of us. We called him Old Man River. But man could he fight, joke, and have your back. As we floated over it didn't occur to me that we would not float back, we were more concerned were we would get for a libo port on the way back and beers were on him.
zzwilliams-michael.jpg

Chris and I were on our second tour in Iraq. As a corpsman he experienced the first hand horror of serving in a combat zone. Many conversations were spent with him and I talking about what happened, crying when we couldn't do more, and praying that we would have the faith to make it through.
zzthompson_christopher_wsma.jpg

Then I remember my buddy Mike who died on his next tour in Iraq after I got out. We had some good times throwing Spades and wondering when all the BS would end.

12311631_118839716944.jpg

Memorial day is for them, their sacrifices, and their families. Its not for me, or others who served. Most likely, most of us think of them often, but one day a year we intentionally pause and pray.

I remember 18 from my unit who were killed at Nasiriyah, 3-23-2003. Two were close friends.

Mike was a true patriot. After 9/11 he left his contractor business to enlist. He was over a decade older than the rest of us. We called him Old Man River. But man could he fight, joke, and have your back. As we floated over it didn't occur to me that we would not float back, we were more concerned were we would get for a libo port on the way back and beers were on him.
View attachment 141232

Chris and I were on our second tour in Iraq. As a corpsman he experienced the first hand horror of serving in a combat zone. Many conversations were spent with him and I talking about what happened, crying when we couldn't do more, and praying that we would have the faith to make it through.
View attachment 141233

Then I remember my buddy Mike who died on his next tour in Iraq after I got out. We had some good times throwing Spades and wondering when all the BS would end.

View attachment 141231

Memorial day is for them, their sacrifices, and their families. Its not for me, or others who served. Most likely, most of us think of them often, but one day a year we intentionally pause and pray.
True heroes, thanks for sharing!

My folks both served in WWII.
Mom joined the Navy and served as a decorated officer, along with 3 of her sisters who also served their country. 4 of 7 served.

Dad was a midshipman @ Kingspoint Merchant Marine Academy ,serving on the Emily Mund when she was sunk by a U-boat in May of 1941. The crew was allowed to depart before the sinking and FDR sent a 1st of many scathing letters to the Reich concerning our Merchant Ships.
He became a Skipper,was on the Mermansk run and other dangerous trips across the Atlantic.
He was on board another Liberty Ship when it was sunk by a U-boat. He got survivors onto life rafts and they survived 3 weeks without food nor water.Dad collected rainwater & caught fish for to survive,with scrapnel in his knee.
He then served in the Pacific Theatre and retired a Commander after the war.

They never spoke of the war.
I found out about the sinkings when I asked my uncle Dave what the burnt, torn flag was he always had hanging on a studio wall. Dave just said "It was your dad's ships flag. He grabbed it as his ship went down and he jumped on a life raft. Your dad is a hero who saved most of his crew."

I found out more about their service in DC one year I spent a week there.
Mom is listed in the "Women Who Served" WWII memorial @ Arlington ,decorated Captain.
Dad finally got a Merchant Marines Who Served Memorial built with help from the Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association of Kingspoint. It is in the WWII Memorial in DC near "the Wall".
He finally got the Veterans status he and others deserved way after the war was over. He got his Purple Heart.
Both of my Grandfathers served & survived WWI. My dad's brothers both served in the Army during Korean incident.
Me, I worked to hard to forget the vivid deaths of my friends who served. I understand my folks.

Last edited:
I have for the most part attempted to not talk about this in the past, as it always make's me very sad. Usually just saying "nothing".

The previous posts were stories of heroes, one and all . Beautiful stories, memories, and tributes to fallen comrades and relatives.

My grandfather served in WW I and one of my great uncles died in WW I

My dad served in the Pacific theater during WW II and my mother served in the SPARS, after the Pearl Harbor attack, as many thought the west coast would be their next target.

POW and Internment camps were in Arizona and two aunts worked in those camps. Another moved to San Diego to help build ships

An uncle died during the Invasion of Normandy in WW II and as long as I live I will never forget the time that my aunt received word, as she was living with us at that time.

I have visited several of the memorials in Washington D.C. and have cried every time.

God Bless all those who served and THANK YOU ! freedom is not free !

Yes God bless all that served or are serving now either over seas in a jungle or storming a beach somewhere with a rifle in hand or a clip board filling supplies or if they spent their service on home ground God bless each and evey man or woman that put on the uniform and made the pledge to keep this great country free know matter what the cost

I have not served but I came from a family of veterans. My father took us to various places on Memorial day. Vietnam Wall, Arlington, Pearl Harbor, Flanders field, American cemetery in France, the Holocaust museum and the Alamo. He use to tell us when at one of these places. You enjoy your freedom, these are some of the men you can thank. And I do thank them as well as the ones who came home and the ones still serving. Thank you

Marine gunnery Sergeant John Basilione. Local hero who served in WWII and earned the Medal of Honor for action at Guadalcanal. He returned home, but couldn’t stand being out of the war so he went back and was killed in Iwo Jima. For the last 38 years the town next to me has held a parade for him. Hopefully this September won’t be any different, we’ll see. The HBO series, “The Pacific” recounts the story of this treasured and beloved local hero.

4253A661-EC9E-48F0-B3F7-67F95AAE8554.jpeg

This day I remember all, those who paid the ultimate sacrifice upon the Alter of Freedom! Especially those of my son’s unit 1/40 CAVALRY AIRBORNE, 5 of 15 are still, on patrol in the heavens!🇺🇸

Last edited:
Thinking of one of my best friends son Jack Lee. I remember the day Jack was born. I was like an uncle to him. The whole group of us was. Jack grew up and served as a Marine in Afganistan. Saw hard action and never recovered from it. We lost Jack 5 years ago. He was way to young but he had given all he had. Rest in peace Jack and we will never forget you.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back