Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

This Is Why I Hunt Coyotes- Video of Yotes Killing Whitetail Buck

Do you also hunt cars? Blue tongue?

What the hell does that mean? Is this a serious question? If it is then I will go ahead and play your game. No I do not hunt cars nor blue tounge. I do however hunt coyotes and wolves and do what I can to help control the factors that we can control to help the deer herd.

Kill all the coyotes you want. It won't make a difference on the overall herd health or numbers.

Coyotes respond to increased pressure by going into heat several times a year, as opposed to once in a stable environment. Coyotes with established ranges tend to keep out interlopers and make the predator/prey dynamic stable.

If you want bigger deer or elk herds, focus on growing more groceries. Without good habitat and forage, you won't have females reach fecundity like you do with good forage.

I have to say that I disagree with the above statments that limiting coyote populations won't help the deer population. Clearly if someone had shot those coyotes ahead of time that buck would still be dead???? The statement regarding depredation not being effective is absolutely false. Tell that to a rancher who raises sheep...nope, trapping and shooting coyotes wont help one bit b/c they will change their breeding cycle??? haha! I do agree that of course if you have more food and habitat, you will likely get larger deer herds, but larger herds usually means MORE predators.

Killing can be a dirty, messy, and emotionally trying experience to be involved with no matter who does it. Whether human or animal, does it matter. Don't use emotion to make decisions. Use logic and common sense.

We humans like to look for a higher calling to justify killing a creature. We usually come up with that calling when it comes to killing a predator.

Do you feel the same hatred when you see elk in an alfalfa field, or deer in a corn patch?

Studies have shown that widescale trapping of coyotes just before fawning season can significantly improve the survival of fawns.

I tend to think that coyotes killing adult deer is not very common. Certainly not to the extent that mountain lions do in the west.

When I saw the topic I was expecting it to be a link to the new study out showing that the whitetail deer is the most dangerous animal in North America killing about 200 people a year in vehicle accidents.

What the hell does that mean? Is this a serious question? If it is then I will go ahead and play your game. No I do not hunt cars nor blue tounge. I do however hunt coyotes and wolves and do what I can to help control the factors that we can control to help the deer herd.

If you really want to help mule deer and such turn the thermostat down in the house and drive a fuel efficient car.

I have to say that I disagree with the above statments that limiting coyote populations won't help the deer population. Clearly if someone had shot those coyotes ahead of time that buck would still be dead???? The statement regarding depredation not being effective is absolutely false. Tell that to a rancher who raises sheep...nope, trapping and shooting coyotes wont help one bit b/c they will change their breeding cycle??? haha! I do agree that of course if you have more food and habitat, you will likely get larger deer herds, but larger herds usually means MORE predators.

Sheep are born to die. They die easier than any other life form. But we're not talking about livestock, we're talking about a set of animals that evolved together over millenia and work symbiotically to establish a relationship.

The effect of predator control on coyotes for livestock producers is this: Without constant application of control, numbers rebound very quickly. Females go into estrus multiple times per year, producing multiple litters. In stable environments, a male and female have a home range they protect, and reproduce once a year.

Predators and prey work on waves and troughs, not a straight line. Balance is a human construct that we buy into because we want herd numbers to remain high no matter what. Killing coyotes for deer is a black hole in which we throw millions of dollars per year into.

It's not just my supposition, there's quite a few studies that back this up. As I said, kill all the coyotes you want, I don't care.

Last edited:
Sheep are born to die. They die easier than any other life form. But we're not talking about livestock, we're talking about a set of animals that evolved together over millenia and work symbiotically to establish a relationship.

The effect of predator control on coyotes for livestock producers is this: Without constant application of control, numbers rebound very quickly. Females go into estrus multiple times per year, producing multiple litters. In stable environments, a male and female have a home range they protect, and reproduce once a year.

Predators and prey work on waves and troughs, not a straight line. Balance is a human construct that we buy into because we want herd numbers to remain high no matter what. Killing coyotes for deer is a black hole in which we throw millions of dollars per year into.

It's not just my supposition, there's quite a few studies that back this up. As I said, kill all the coyotes you want, I don't care.
I agree with most of this. However, we appear to have a different "working" definition of symbiosis... ;)

I was promptly chastized on another board for stating that the money UT DWR is putting up for the coyote bounty would be better spent on habitat work and/or winter range acquisition...

I agree with most of this. However, we appear to have a different "working" definition of symbiosis... ;)

I was promptly chastized on another board for stating that the money UT DWR is putting up for the coyote bounty would be better spent on habitat work and/or winter range acquisition...

I was pretty impressed with myself that I spelled it correctly the first time. :D

Well for every coyote killed that makes things a little easier for deer, rabbits and most everything else it would be hard to put a huge dent in the population

I saw a study back in 2003 from out west that had several ranches were they did nothing to the coyotes. On a couple others the trapped, shot from helicopters, and other things to kill the coyotes. They saw the larger litters I dont recall multiple litters. The auther was not ready to say for certain, but thought you might be better to live with the coyotes you have as long as they have manners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back