Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

This is what we're up against

Sorry you missed my humor. I was poking fun at those that try to sound politically correct and not ruffling any feathers by using that term. I harvested a great deer last weekend...No you didn’t you killed it...
Right on.

People are free to use whatever terminology they want but personally I harvest fruits and veggies and kill animals. Ask the folks around here if they "harvested a deer yet" and they will look at you like you have three heads.

we do use both words and many times in the same sentence.

i.e. There is more to hunting than just harvesting the animal. How many seal's did you harvest today ? Were you able to harvest any Caribou on your hunt today ?

remember we dont kill the animal, the animal sacrifices his life to sustain ours; Of course we must give thanks in various ways after each animal is harvested

Seals, Caribou, corn, wheat, are all harvested. Fruit is picked. Beavers and muskrats are trapped. Wolfs are killed

Some people and cultures have different ways of looking at life, death, etc. I really like the way panda expresses this. After all, if it wasn't for the meat we get from the animal, what point would there be to hunting non predatory animals? The animal exists partly to sustain other animals, and we should give that the utmost respect

Not an uncommon expression when those from the South visit us.

All living things have a spirit and right, wrong or indifferent we give thanks to the animal that feeds and clothes us.

We dont still do everything that our ancestors did after a harvest ( like a four day celebration when a male was harvested and a five day one when a female was harvested ) but we still respect our elders and their customs even if we dont practice them anymore.

Take care all, have a great hunting season (s ) regardless of what you are hunting or "kill"

Great point Panda. I don't think we as a hunting society take enough time to admire the animals we get. Sure we do on a big bull elk, but how about a pheasant or a duck? I try and teach my firearm safety classes to take a moment to admire each and every one at least for a few seconds.

Not an uncommon expression when those from the South visit us.

All living things have a spirit and right, wrong or indifferent we give thanks to the animal that feeds and clothes us.

Take care all, have a great hunting season (s ) regardless of what you are hunting or "kill"
Great points.

As long as it is done with respect and admiration killing and harvesting are just different terms used for the act of taking an animal's life for the sake of sustenance.

No argument with respecting the animals here, but the idea that they "sacrifice themselves" for us is tacitly and demonstrably untrue. Every fiber of their being, every instinct they have tells them to live through the day and you hold every agency in the decision whether they live or die. I think I understand the sentiment you're going for, but I don't think you need to dress up what it is that we do for fellow hunters.

Life eats life and always has. It's not any more complicated than that.

I understand your point but you may have misunderstood hers

She wasn't selling anything, or trying to dress anything up, for anybody

But I believe she will continue to respect both her heritage and her elders.

Inuits in the far North are not the only people with interesting beliefs. I have found that many people around the world believe in a variety of things I dont personally subscribe too, but they may be right o_O.

Right here in the states we have people named Dave that believe Kiss was a good band and much too my disbelief several here hunt with rifles that have stocks NOT made out of wood. And you wont believe what Dirtclod thinks are pets------- You buy them books, send them to school, tell them all that you know---and ;)

Panda Bear, I will accompany you to one of your villages Bladder festival, but I will not eat moose nose!

You'll have to forgive me then, Animism not being something I'd personally entertain, I took the language for it's literal meaning, given that there was no preamble about "We believe that..."

Anybody who thinks Kiss was a good band, however, deserves any and all ridicule they recieve.

Good change of pace to kill an elk after killing (the) bears for years

That rifle is worth more than my truck.

In all honesty congrats to him on the bull but I'm not sure there's much of any actual controversy. If you have 600k followers you could post about free ice cream and saving puppies from burning buildings and get hater comments.
or share an ex-football players bull on a hunting forum....well, you know the rest.

I understand your point but you may have misunderstood hers

She wasn't selling anything, or trying to dress anything up, for anybody

But I believe she will continue to respect both her heritage and her elders.

Inuits in the far North are not the only people with interesting beliefs. I have found that many people around the world believe in a variety of things I dont personally subscribe too, but they may be right o_O.

Right here in the states we have people named Dave that believe Kiss was a good band and much too my disbelief several here hunt with rifles that have stocks NOT made out of wood. And you wont believe what Dirtclod thinks are pets------- You buy them books, send them to school, tell them all that you know---and ;)

Panda Bear, I will accompany you to one of your villages Bladder festival, but I will not eat moose nose!
I see nothing wrong with sitting down to dinner with friends,
enjoying a steak I harvested from the grocery store...STEALING STEAK.jpgSTEAK TAKEOVER.jpg

Thought this was an appropriate place to post this. This cat got hit about 3/4 mile or so from my house. I don't do facebook but a lot of friends have been sending me posts like this and others that say there afraid for there kids to be out trick or treating in a couple weeks. Good news is more of the will be moving out here everyday from Chicago. YAY!

Attachments

• Resized_S.jpg
    Resized_S.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 20
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back