Caribou Gear

Third ovt elk/mule season in Colorado (a novice looking for advise)

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

Hey everyone,

I have decided that I am going to change my second rifle season in Colorado to third season elk/mule deer. I Decided this because of whitetail deer in Nebraska scheduling. It would be about two weeks of hunting. Perfect timing. 7 days for elk in the mountains and 7 for whitetail.

Doing some scouting in Colorado has me concerned about certain aspects. I’m going to do over the counter. The area that I’m looking at is the Arapaho and Roosevelt national forest(s). Looking at some of the websites. These parks are not open in November. Where can I camp? I’m really looking for the elk experience. I’m not afraid to rough it in a tent, hike the mountains, and stalk my elk for harvest. Can I camp anywhere on BLM lands and national forest areas? Do I need to reserve a campsite? I have the equipment, the want too, but concerned about being legal about where I can stay for camping. Can I park my truck and just start hiking in the mountains, hunt, and camp wherever? Really confused on where to start or definitively get legal answers to go elk hunting (properly).?.?.?

Any help and/or suggestions will be super helpful for securing a campsite or advise in where I can hunt and camp in the Colorado area or areas that I am looking at. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, you can camp anywhere on BLM or national forest lands. Some areas only allow camping in designated campsites though, so it does vary by location. You can reserve campsites in some campgrounds, other are first come first served. If you know where you would like to camp, call the forest office and ask if there are restrictions. They are usually helpful.

Thank you Pelican. I will give the forest service a call; thanks for the starting point. Very much appreciated.

You need to check with CPW, to see if the option of changing your season exists. Depending on your unit and sex of tag, it may not exist especially if it was a draw tag and not over the counter.

I've never had an issue parking/camping wherever on a forest road as long as you're out of the way. This past week, however, I got a parking ticket on NF land (where I shoot) for parking in an area that didn't have a parking sign. I tried looking into it and couldn't find any regulations regarding parking. The officer was not helpful and not very nice at all.
In general, you can camp wherever unless it says otherwise.

thank you for the information. I honestly plan on parking in one of the U.S. Forest parks and hike it in from there. Just want to be legal and not get my truck towed when I come back out of the woods. I've been looking at u.s. forest maps, CWP interactive site, and google maps for the terrain.

The Cwp website states that :
Camping Fee Changes

With over 4,000 campsites across 37 parks, from primitive sites to full hookups, CPW offers camping experiences for everyone. Funding from camping fees may allow parks to provide upgraded pads, recruit additional camp hosts, or increased connectivity.

Camping Permits 2018 2019
Full Hookup Campgrounds $28-$30 per night $32-$41 per night*
Electrical Campgrounds $24-$26 per night $28-$36 per night*
Basic Campgrounds $18-$20 per night $22-$28 per night*
Primitive Campgrounds $10-$12 per night $14-$18 per night*
Cabins and Yurts $80-$240 per night $90-$250 per night*
Campground Reservation Fee $10 per campsite, cabin or yurt None

If I want to just "bivy" in the woods; is this possible? I'm going to call the U.S. forest service on Monday and get some more info. I hope this isn't that complicated. I'm driving a long way; I just want this trip to go ok with regards to camping and staying in the legal. Thank you everyone for the help and advise.

Yes you can bivy or roadside camp on NF or BLM land unless it’s posted no camping. Most access roads will have roadside camps everywhere.

Yes you can bivy or roadside camp on NF or BLM land unless it’s posted no camping. Most access roads will have roadside camps everywhere.
Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated.

What units are you looking at? Im.confused as to how you're going to change seasons on mule deer. Are you looking to take something off the leftover list?

Unless the Forest Service or BLM land is otherwise posted as "No Overnight Camping" or "Motor Vehicles Prohibited" then you should be ok to camp. Probably the most concerning issue would be fire restrictions but by November they have typically been lifted if there were any during summer/fall. Fire related offenses will be the largest fines compared to camping/parking tickets. Hiking and hunting on those lands should be fair game as well, and yes you should be able to walk into the woods and start hunting as long as you are on FS/BLM property 100% of the time. Arap/Roosevelt FS land may have a few more restrictions in certain areas because of proximity to Denver and heavy usage. Don't let that deter you, there are still Elk and Deer. Have fun! I lived in and hunted those mountains most of my life so feel free to PM me if you want.

Unless the Forest Service or BLM land is otherwise posted as "No Overnight Camping" or "Motor Vehicles Prohibited" then you should be ok to camp. Probably the most concerning issue would be fire restrictions but by November they have typically been lifted if there were any during summer/fall. Fire related offenses will be the largest fines compared to camping/parking tickets. Hiking and hunting on those lands should be fair game as well, and yes you should be able to walk into the woods and start hunting as long as you are on FS/BLM property 100% of the time. Arap/Roosevelt FS land may have a few more restrictions in certain areas because of proximity to Denver and heavy usage. Don't let that deter you, there are still Elk and Deer. Have fun! I lived in and hunted those mountains most of my life so feel free to PM me if you want.
Thanks Nick! That’s my plan. Unit 28 in that area.

What units are you looking at? Im.confused as to how you're going to change seasons on mule deer. Are you looking to take something off the leftover list?
leftover list (if I'm not confused, license(s) include 3rd season Elk & Mule Deer November 2-10) for elk and mule deer; there are limited licenses but most likely a combination of over the counter tags according to the CWP handbook. I am not going to do the second season but intend to go 3rd season now. Just a scheduling issue for my own personal plans. yes, the leftover list is a possibility if as well as ovt for certain units I'm looking at.

You'll be able to get the OTC Elk tag for 3rd but the the only chance you'll have for Mule Deer in any unit will be via the leftover license list if you didn't apply for the draw. They go quick these days so you may want to be in line the morning they go on sale.

leftover list (if I'm not confused, license(s) include 3rd season Elk & Mule Deer November 2-10) for elk and mule deer; there are limited licenses but most likely a combination of over the counter tags according to the CWP handbook. I am not going to do the second season but intend to go 3rd season now. Just a scheduling issue for my own personal plans. yes, the leftover list is a possibility if as well as ovt for certain units I'm looking at.
Makes sense. Like Nick says, deer tags can go quickly, but honestly, I'd buy either a deer tag, or an elk tag and concentrate on one species. Or buy both, and put all effort into one species and if you find the other count it as a bonus. That being said, beginners luck can be amazing. I've seen I dont know how many hunters go out on their first hunt and have the hunt of a lifetime.

I’ve never had any issues parking and hiking, have left the truck sit at a trail head for nine days at a time and never had any issue, the only thing left on my truck was a thank you note from a packpacker I gave shelter to when I ran into him during a nasty storm. It was actually pretty cool, he left his email address and we’ve stayed in contact here and there.
Anyhow I’m honestly not trying to be negative or dog your idea in any way this is just an honest suggestion from my experience. I’ve traveled to Idaho and Colorado to hunt deer and elk nine years straight now (I’m from Ohio) and as far as going straight into a hunt in my home state after a western hunt, I would not recommend it.
After a drive west, week of hunting, and a drive back home the last thing I want to do is get up the next day and get my whitetail gear together and hit the woods. Not that I don’t love my whitetail hunting it’s just that a week of hiking, hunting and camping in Colorado mountains takes a tole and it’s going to effect your enthusiasm to get back in the whitetail woods directly after.
What I’ve found is that after my trips (usually 18 days) I feel great to get back to work and in my normal routine again....for about 2-3 weeks. It gives me a chance to get rested up and share stories with work buddies and think about the trip. Then in about 2-3 weeks the itch starts again and I’m wanting to get back in the woods. If I was going to take two weeks for separate trips I would space them out that way you can really enjoy them both and have time to thoroughly work out logistics and gear and not be rushed.
Again, 2 weeks of hunting going from one hunt to the next sounds awesome and either way I’m sure you’ll love it but it’s just something to keep in mind. Good luck and stay safe!!

Hello everyone, this is my first year getting leftover Colorado elk tag. It’s for 3rd season rifle (November 2-10). I honestly have no idea where to begin. I can hunt a lot of units but don’t even know what unit would be good. I am not looking for a 350 bull I m just looking for something legal and to have a good time. Can you guys help me? I attached the units I can hunt.D1876572-9EA3-4A16-8E6B-3DE70F79CACA.png

Back