PEAX Equipment

Thinking of moving to warmer climate

montanza

My wife has been talking about moving south from Montana. I have been pretty stubborn about it, but she is starting to win me over. It may not be for several years but she wants me start looking into it. We are looking at New Mexico or Arizona, and I know both states have excellent elk and deer hunting, but does one or the other offer better public lands or better draw odds for residents? It would be permanent move, so I would get residency. I am used to being able to hunt every year here in Montana and I don't want to give that up. Which state is the better option? Any help would be appreciated.

I've lived in both,reside in NM now and no regrets.
AZ is more robust in activity & economics wise hence more expensive to live.
Makes your $ go farther with this factor w/NM. Can be a two edged sword.
I do regret not getting a AZ lifetime Lic. to hunt,but the ability to get tags is less from what I hear.
Have had 2 guys that can't draw an elk tag to save their lives come to my place to hunt cows.
Another is a trophy mule deer hunter that comes here to hunt them besides AZ.
I do know many folks that seem to get AZ tags.
I have gone 5 for 8 in drawing a MB elk tag since moving to NM,always draw a deer tag. I had very good luck drawing NM as NR,terrible luck in AZ.

I have also lived in MT & the cold reminded me of why I left.Can't do much const. work below zero.lol
Northern NM can get very cold too. In SW central now & nice climate.

Also depends on work,if you do & what you do.

Last edited:
I was in AZ last week hunting coues deer. The local fellow I was hunting with is 22 yrs. old and has been hunting since he legally could. In that time he has drawn 1 AZ archery elk tag and 1 AZ archery antelope tag. Consequently he is a coues deer guru because deer are the only critters he can hunt every year. I couldn't believe the draw odds are that bad for residents. Great place to visit and hunt coues but even with the mild weather I could never live there. I now understand that many times when you see a photo of a guy from AZ with a bull or buck and there are 6 guys in the photo it's because 5 of them didn't draw but wanted to spend time hunting so they go along just be on a hunt.

LOL.
I remember talking to BF about The Move.He said he & the wife loved the country in NM & weather.He said, she said it is just so remote.
They live in Bozeman. And it's remote here. LOL

From what I hear, you might be a little disappointed leaving the Montana Resident hunting arena. If the ol' lady isn't happy up here, then I suppose a decent fellow would have to pack it up. I think it would be smart to just start mourning the loss of the hunting opportunity you had in MT and be thankful for a new adventure down in the warm country, even if that means your hunting will look a lot different. I'd definitely make the most of the next few hunting seasons up here!

I'd move to AZ for a year to get the lifetime hunting license, and then I'd hightail it to NM and take advantage of a draw system that is point-free. That is solely from a hunting perspective, though. New Mexico is pretty remote, which works for me since I'm not a fan of lots of people. It may not be great for someone who likes to be close to civilization.

Just wondering if you or your wife have ever lived in AZ or NM? You say the move would be permanent so what a shame it would be if you moved there and absolutely hated it, then what?
As someone else mentioned perhaps you could go there for a year and see if it really is the answer.
Unless you are retired, having a job will be a major factor which takes priority over hunting just like children. There are so many things to consider when making a move like this.
Good luck with you decision.

New Mexico is a different culture. Can be hard to adjust.

Hunting is great, but hunting opportunities do not compare to Montana.

Montana seems to be at the forefront of hunting advocates and protecting hunter's rights.

It is in the sixties right now. It is nice. Summers do hit 115.

Have a retirement home in Phoenix metro. I like that area a lot. Good international airport so can fly non-stop to most of the Western half of the U.S. and about anywhere with one plane change. Good medical and that is a consideration as age. Lots of entertainment option including spring training baseball which is relatively inexpensive. You can live an hour or so away to get less expensive housing or live in Flagstaff and avoid most of the days when is 100F or hotter in parts of AZ yet in Flagstaff are just a couple of hours from Phoenix airport and medical facilities.

I have friends in AZ and NM and they all seem happier than when they got snowed on every week for 20 weeks a year.

South east? Probably not but liberal bag limits on whitetails, no limit on hogs and tons of fishing.

No elk, moose, mule deer, pronghorn.........why the hell do I live here?

Thank you for the input. I'll admit it is going against my instincts to move, but I'm not leaving my wife haha. this is more of a compromise with her and It isn't necessarily permanent. I work at ups, so it would be a transfer. I could always transfer back. It's always luck of the draw on how long either transfer would take. Elk are my obsession so I would have to be able to hunt them every year to keep sane haha. But I have considered taking two weeks of vacation to hunt over the counter tags in Colorado or Montana.
Are there units in either state that one could hunt every year?
And are there land owner sponsor tags in either state? I do know of someone with a ranch in New Mexico.

UPS does have a big print in Albacrackie.
Take some of that vaca time, whenever you guys get some...lol
You could fly into Alb.rent a car & do a few road trips to check things out. Warning.Santa Fe is like glue to women.
Drive over to Flag & check it out.
I do not think you would like PHX.....really don't see how anyone would live there personally. LA@119deg to me.
I do know personally I have been very successful in the draw as a resident,minus drawing a true Gila tag. There are elk here.Lots.
LO tags are available if you don't as is an OTC or easy draw in MT & CO.
Maybe your ranch friend gets LO tags?
I know someone that does.....................as I dive for cover.
Good luck. UPS & FedEX folks are in demand here from what I've seen.And the delivery locations are a daily major challenge.

Albucrazy and Las Cruces have UPS facilities. I live south of Alb. but not far enough. Look up citydata.com and search the two communities. I gave up hunting a long time ago because of the draw system. I am 70 and lived here more than half of my life. The hunting and fishing are great it is just the harvesting and catching that ain't so good. It can get cold here and the wind mixed with sand is terrible. LO tags are available if you have $$$$$. If you really like Montana but don't like the cold, get a better heater. Good luck.

You can hunt Elk in CO every year. Much of the state is comprised of OTC units where elk can be hunted during archery season, during 2nd Rifle Season, and during 3rd Rifle season. You can also purchase LO vouchers there as well, but be warned that these can get pricy... I have hunted CO the last 4 seasons as both a Resident and a NR.

I live in the Panhandle of Florida; tell ya what, you guys come here and stay at our place to get your warm weather beach fix and we will come up there and shoot some good eatin vittles. Airbnbhunt style.

I live in the Panhandle of Florida; tell ya what, you guys come here and stay at our place to get your warm weather beach fix and we will come up there and shoot some good eatin vittles. Airbnbhunt style.

Just hang on to your plates every time a hurricane comes along!:rolleyes:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back