Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Things to do in NC

Cornell2012

Administrator
Staff member
This week I was notified of admission to UNC-Chapel Hill's graduate business school program with a big fellowship offer. I am still waiting to hear from a couple other schools before I decide for sure where I will be attending this fall.

In the meantime I was hoping to hear from you guys about what there is to do around Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham.

The program is pretty demanding, so I won't have a ton of time, but I'm mostly looking for fun things relatively close by. (Hiking, parks, entertainment, good places to take pictures, etc.)

Thanks!

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you're that close you might as well drive down to Ocean Isle and eat at the Sugar Shack. Best ribs I've ever had

Congrats, sounds like a great opportunity! Don't know much about that immediate area, but I'm about 3 hours north of there in the mountains. You're welcome to come up and fish or hunt sometime if you make the move. The mountains along the VA/NC border and toward the TN border are great places to get out and about, plenty of public land out that way too.

The RTP area is a wonderful place to live and a great place to be a student. Wish I were back there now.

There are tons of state land surrounding the area. Umstead Park is more, or less, in between Raleigh, Durham, and Cary. Nice trails, well kept. The bigger areas, Sharon-Harris, Falls-of-the-Neuse, Butner, and Holly Shelter are open game lands that have all the outdoor activities you can stand. Big lakes, camping, hiking, hunting, beaches.....

The ocean is anywhere between 2 1/2-5 hrs, depending on where you want to go. Any coastal town is full of crap to do and take your money.

Night life has just about every genre you can dream of and if you can't find something to keep you entertained you're not looking.

Have Fun. I sure as hell did!

That's a tall order. They don't call NC "Variety Vacationland" for no reason. The state is over 500 miles East to West encompassing 5 distinct geologic zones if you're into nature and geography. Culturally the most trendy and concentrated attractions are located around the Chapel Hill/ Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Charlotte and Asheville areas. Not to slight any other areas or cities by my omission; there's just too much to list without knowing more about your interests. This site will give you an idea of some attractions, keeping in mind what some people find interesting or valuable in other ways would be of little interest to others, so again, that's a tall order.
Maybe this site will help, and when you arrive there will be ample locals or academics who can point you in many directions.

Having trouble capturing the site so bear with me.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OUegJyepspyDSRrO0_3PNOA&bvm=bv.85076809,d.eXY

Another- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ir0KN-GugR8pZuTa9TsRRjQ&bvm=bv.85076809,d.eXY

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE.../events//RK=0/RS=LlvO.hLuBRcOcd6MNOI7N6n5x0A-

If you want to put together a shopping list of interests and how much time you want to devote to it just PM me your list and I'll try to put together a list to meet your goals. There are some great dining opportunities in Raleigh, not too far West in the Yadkin River Valley is found quite a winery region with some offerings which are hard to equal, as well as singular wineries scattered all over the state. My daughter lived in Raleigh for a number of years when she worked at UNC and knows all the hot spots so far as food and nightlife are concerned. If you ever watched Andy Griffin you have to drive over to Mt. Airy and eat at the Snappy Lunch.

Last edited:
Too be honest, I'm not a fan of the piedmont or coastal plains. Kinda in no man's land. A few hours from the mountains and a few hours from the beach. However, most of my family refuses to leave the area, so apparently some people like it. Buggs Island (aka - Kerr Reservoir), which is just to the north Raleigh, has some great fishing for stripers, catfish, etc. Some smaller lakes around there with some big bass. Looks like you do some duck hunting. Become best friends with someone who has some land around Lake Mattamuskeet. Tons of birds down there. Good fishing along the Outer Banks; I prefer Hatteras and Ocracoke. Lots of good fishing, especially for brookies, in SW Virginia and the mountains of NC. Definitely not the trout you're probably used to, but fun nonetheless.

I live in the Charlotte area and know a little about the Chapel Hill area, but not enough to put a lot on here about. I do know that the place isn't known for it's outdoor activities. Good luck with finding good places to hunt. The public (gameland) land is overcrowded with little opportunity to kill a decent deer. Private land is next to impossible to obtain.
I will say that with that entire area having so many major university's, you'll find plenty to do. And I'll agree with some above, if you drive a little to the east (coast), or west to the mountains, you'll find all kinds of things to do that you're asking about.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Good luck in school and I hope it leads you to the life you dream of.

I live in Raleigh which is about 30 minutes from UNC. If you come this way give me a shout and I can help you find your way around. Genesis is a great guy to talk with as well.
Jeremia

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back