things to do around FT. Collins and CO Springs?

Weed is legal too :cool:

Since you brought that up, a friend is going hunting in Antonito, and he asked where he could stay in a hotel. I found one for him online, and in the room description, it says "cigarette smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but smoking marijuana is permitted. Our rooms are 420-friendly". I found that amusing, and kinda weird.

Last edited:
I've got the perfect plan for you. You can hike around unit 19 or 191 (near fort collins) and pick out a nice buck for me for this fall!

Thanks again for all the responses.

I know the Springs....what do you usually like to do?

A part of our time we want to check out the tourist type stuff, zoo, parks, must sees and places to get out of the vehicle for a while.. The other part I want to accomplish would be to check out some neighbor hoods in the area. I know housing out there seems to be higher then here in central MN. Do you know of neighborhoods with starter family homes? Younger neighborhood with new family's perhaps.

I would do the Garden of the Gods, The Zoo, and drive up Pikes Peak.
As far as neighborhoods you have established ones and large swaths of newly built tract housing. I can't speak on the new housing, but I would look in older neighborhoods like Patty Jewitt, Boulder Park, Rockrimmon, or Happy Valley. Problem is the market down here is becoming like Denver and most places are going for $300K plus, often cash, and are gone with in a week of posting or before being posted. They've also been doing this thing where they will sell the house to you for the asking price, but if it is appraised lower, ask you to cover that cost. For example, they are asking g $300K, you jump in it, and it is then appraised at $250K they expect you to cover the $50K or put it back up on the market.
Personally, as a native, I am saddened by the amount of people out here now. It is blowing up like Denver and that is not a good thing. In fact, I got the hell out of town and bought my family's ranch 55 miles northeast. I don't know what you do for a living, but I would take a serious look at Laramie, Grand Junction, Trinidad, or Bulah, or elsewhere if you don't want to be Colofornia-ized

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the responses.

A part of our time we want to check out the tourist type stuff, zoo, parks, must sees and places to get out of the vehicle for a while.. The other part I want to accomplish would be to check out some neighbor hoods in the area. I know housing out there seems to be higher then here in central MN. Do you know of neighborhoods with starter family homes? Younger neighborhood with new family's perhaps.

Depending on if you want to live in tract home, check out Falcon. If you want a little space, 2-5 acres, look out in Peyton and you can get a place with a mfg house for under 300k.

Now as far as it being Colorfornia, and I'm an ex CA resident, most of the folks I meet aren't from CA. There are more midwest folks than anything. They ruined CA too....

When researching the CO Springs I noticed the growth of the city now from 50 years ago it's crazy. The foot print of that town is massive. I'm not a city boy but yet live in a city due to what I can afford. I'm a electrician and my wife is a grade school teacher so it's not like we're swimming in the money. And I figured with the cost of living and hoising in those areas it would be a strearch to make happen but never the less I want to have a see for myself and a good reason to take a road trip. Our school district here I'm my current home town has been going down so we will be moving before our one year old attends school. I will defiantly check out those other towns as mentioned.

I live in South East Colorado. It's not the pretty part of the state in the mountains. Our school districts are small and that leads to smaller classes and more one on one time with teachers. To give you an idea of property and housing....I bought a 5br 2ba house on 9 acres with a 4 car garage for $110K and my yearly taxes are $356 a year. I'm an hour from Pueblo, which is smaller than Springs but has all of the creature features. I'm an hour and a half from Trinidad, which is smaller than Pueblo but has the same things. Pueblo and Pueblo West are growing, so the possibilities of electrician jobs are there. You'll get a lot more for your money moving away from the mountains. I live 20 minutes from where I hunt antelope and I can be hunting elk and deer within an hour and a half drive. Springs is an hour and a half if you want 'big city' stuff to do. Pueblo still has small town feeling with city type offerings.

Anywhere from CS to Ft. Collins is going to be expensive. I liked Pueblo when I taught down there. You can find great deals east of Pueblo, if you don't mind living in close vicinity to the MJ grows.

I was referring to the mass influx of people from other places, like what happened to California in the '50 and such.
Peyton is a good call, people like Fountain too.

Typically, In my experience, when folks refer to Colofornia, they are saying that Ex-CA residents are moving here. If you meant what happened to CA, then I'm all with you. You only mind the folks moving here that are making the state worse.

Me, I'm out by Elbert. Won't get any closer.

I'm playing tour guide for my brother in law right now visiting from Pennsylvania. He is pretty amazed at how much the Springs has changed since his last visit in 2011.

Today we are taking him and his wife to visit all their friends that have moved out here from Pennsylvania :rolleyes:

Typically, In my experience, when folks refer to Colofornia, they are saying that Ex-CA residents are moving here. If you meant what happened to CA, then I'm all with you. You only mind the folks moving here that are making the state worse.

Me, I'm out by Elbert. Won't get any closer.

I just talked to an guy yesterday that is jumping ship for Waco, Texas. He said he is tired of the MJ and the rising crime....and the "rat race". I can't say I didn't understand. It is becoming a shame. I understand people wanting to come out and look for a better life, but people bring problems, and as a true native I am saddened by all the prairie being overwhelmed with houses and the mountains being climbed by suburbs.
Okay, off my box.
I live about a mile from the Elbert/El Paso County line on the east end. Goodthing about all that development is it is pushing the Pronghorn onto my place!

I'd suggest a short conversation with a local realtor. When I went up to MT this winter on an advance scouting mission for a family move in the next 1-3 years, I searched out a realtor and met him for coffee and a 90 minute discussion with maps and such and I learned more in that 90 minutes than I had in months of internet research.

Full disclosure - I generally dislike the residential real estate 'industry' because I think that a buy/sell transaction should be simple and they are decidedly not - but one thing that a good realtor has is very in-depth neighborhood-level knowledge that is not something you will find on a drive-through.

And - Trinity Brewing is a must-stop in COS.

While reading and researching about Colorado cities and economy I came across a stat that stated in 2016 57 present of residents where transplants and not born in CO. Surprisingly high in my eyes. Having never been there I'm excited to go. That's great advice cedahm, a realator should paint a clearer picture.
You have all helped a bunch, thanks again to all you OYOA friends I really appreciate the feedback.

While reading and researching about Colorado cities and economy I came across a stat that stated in 2016 57 present of residents where transplants and not born in CO. Surprisingly high in my eyes.

That is probably every western state. I read an article that said California only now recently has as many native born as those from outside the state and only 33% of California's voting age population was native born. That explains a lot! Example being Rep Nancy Pelosi carperbagger from Maryland

My brother-in-law knows 7 couples that moved to Colorado, 1 couple in New Mexico and 1 in Arizona. He's from Mansfield, PA (population 3,519) . And the frightening part is he says just about all his circle of friends (REI & Subaru types) wants to move West! :eek:

Back