They are coming out

Elkhunter

Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Suzanne Lewis asks spring visitors to be alert for signs of bear activity in the park. The Bear Management Office has started receiving reports of bear activity in several areas within Yellowstone, indicating that bears are beginning to emerge from their winter dens. Soon after bears emerge from their dens they search for winter-killed wildlife and winter-weakened elk and bison, the primary sources of much needed food during spring for both grizzlies and black bears. Visitors are asked to be especially cautious of wildlife carcasses that may attract bears,
and to take the necessary precautions to avoid an encounter. Do not approach a bear under any circumstances. Bears will aggressively defend a food source, especially when surprised. If precautionary measures fail and a bear charges, behavioral reactions can be used to defuse the situation in most cases. Bear pepper spray is a good last line of defense that has been effective in most of the reported cases where it has been used. Visitors are asked to report any sightings or signs of bears to the nearest visitor center or ranger station as soon as possible.

Good post and warning elkhunter!
I suppose this should also extend to the rest of us that will be covering the hills shortly for fish and antlers...

Elkhunter,I was shocked at how many people were trying to get close and touch some of the animals in the park.
Even with signs tell them not to approch or feed them you have those that just dont get it.
Then its the animal that gets blamed for protecting its space.
We saw a group that had a black bear surrounded
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: The ranger had to tell them to leave it alone.

Yeah, when we were up there, I kept waiting for one of the cows to opena can of whoop a$$ on some of the folks that were getting too close. There was a family with a kid whose mother kept telling him to get a little closer.... DUMBA$$es!!!!

Anyways, don't go and become some guys spring meal!!!!!!!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back