Yeti GOBOX Collection

There Are Still Good Bucks Out There

shrapnel

Doing some deer hunting on block management and my son got a nice buck. I had a doe permit and got a doe with an original 1886 deluxe Winchester in 45-70. We even got pheasants earlier in the afternoon. You gotta love Montana...

118477B3-D233-4DCE-B43E-855CAFB5047B.jpeg864D6092-87DF-4709-BA4A-FA2E188FA3D0.jpeg

Is there a factory hunting round specific for the Garand? I always thought it would be fun to hunt with mine, but it had been my understanding not to use regular 30-06 ammo for it.

Is there a factory hunting round specific for the Garand? I always thought it would be fun to hunt with mine, but it had been my understanding not to use regular 30-06 ammo for it.

Exactly! The operating rod on the Garand is the weak link. You need low port pressure on the operating rod and that is gotten with faster powder to burn more powder sooner. 30-06 is usually best done with IMR 4350 and heavier bullets, while the Garand is designed for a 150 grain bullet at near 2750 FPS.

IMR 4895 is probably the best bet with any 150 grain bullet you choose. I use Remington Core-Lokt bullets and have killed everything from gophers to elk with it.

Exactly! The operating rod on the Garand is the weak link. You need low port pressure on the operating rod and that is gotten with faster powder to burn more powder sooner. 30-06 is usually best done with IMR 4350 and heavier bullets, while the Garand is designed for a 150 grain bullet at near 2750 FPS.

IMR 4895 is probably the best bet with any 150 grain bullet you choose. I use Remington Core-Lokt bullets and have killed everything from gophers to elk with it.
I guess I'll have to get into reloading 😂

He shot his deer with a M1 Garand, the Creedmoor of WWII...

View attachment 201486
I think maybe you are confusing his rifle with M1 carbine? M1 Garand shot 30-06 which has been around since before WWI. The M1 carbine shot the 30 carbine which is truly a girly cartridge. 30-06 was a man killer ... 30 carbine was a man maimer.

Has anyone checked the velocity and pressure of military issue ammo? My brother gave me several boxes in stripper clips. I'll use them to get a rough zero after changing scopes, rebedding, changing barrel, etc. They seem to have a fairly stout kick comparable to my 4350 IMR loads with 165 gr bullets. And the bullets look rather long for 150 gr. Just an observation.

Fine buck and a great rifle. I've shot a few whitetails with the M1 but never a muley that is a trophy right there, Congrats.

Very cool thread! Beautiful deer, beautiful rifles, outstanding shot placement, and some history lessons thrown in for free. Thanks and Congrats!!!

I think maybe you are confusing his rifle with M1 carbine? M1 Garand shot 30-06 which has been around since before WWI. The M1 carbine shot the 30 carbine which is truly a girly cartridge. 30-06 was a man killer ... 30 carbine was a man maimer.

You need to stick to things you are more familiar with, this is a long way from your wheelhouse. The Garand is a WWII era rifle developed just before the war, with military issue ammunition used in the 1903 Springfield. The military issued 30-06 cartridge was 2700 FPS with 150 grain fmj bullets. IMR 4350 is too slow a powder and 165 grain bullets a bit too big at that velocity.

Here is a good article by John Barsness that may help to better understand M1 Garand ballistics.

It is a great rifle and way more accurate than many people give it credit for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back