The Trenches

update: for the first time in 4 weeks and now two nights in a row i've gotten 4 full unbroken hours of sleep. i feel like a new man, i actually feel.... somewhat.... normal? but it's all relative.

my biggest takeaway from the last 4 weeks: having a newborn is really hard no matter how you slice it, but it would really be not that bad if you could just be rested. like really not that bad, still really hard, but not that bad.

i've been that tired before in my life, but not for 4 weeks straight. it's actually, literally, physically painful.

can't wait for number 2.

and then there are guys like @neffa3 calling me a cat because I like a good 10 hour snooze on those Nov hunts.

Be sure to report back if "too much time to sleep" is a complaint you have on your upcoming hunts.

i constantly think about how so many mammals in the world come flying out of the uterus basically ready to start running.

we really got the shaft there, us humans.
In a similar vein, I used to think of that old adage, "Cleanliness is next to godliness", and then wonder how small children would fit into that.

Just found this so first and foremost congrats! This thread is pure gold. Miss the newborn stage, sleep, shit, eat, burp, repeat. They can't lie to you, beat the shit out of each other over a toy dump truck, pull a light fixture out of the ceiling, let the dog into the room to chew your euro mount to nothing, smash a power wheels into your truck, steal a Jon boat with there friend and take off across the lake. Just off the top of my head. "The trenches" 🤣🤣, you got it made right now. Plus it's only one. Not to scare you but food for thought my two and four year old have slept through the night around a dozen times in there life. ...good luck!!

Just found this so first and foremost congrats! This thread is pure gold. Miss the newborn stage, sleep, shit, eat, burp, repeat. They can't lie to you, beat the shit out of each other over a toy dump truck, pull a light fixture out of the ceiling, let the dog into the room to chew your euro mount to nothing, smash a power wheels into your truck, steal a Jon boat with there friend and take off across the lake. Just off the top of my head. "The trenches" 🤣🤣, you got it made right now. Plus it's only one. Not to scare you but food for thought my two and four year old have slept through the night around a dozen times in there life. ...good luck!!

thank you!

but keep in mind, this is my first, when you're "in the trenches" you're 100% absolutely in them. of course later you find out it was just small trench in a bigger trench, but a real trench nonetheless ;)

Regardless how rough it may seem at the time, soak it up vest as you can because it gives stupidly fast. Everyone warned me about that and I thought yah ok but it's so true.

people have told me several times that before you know it you won't be able to just walk around holding him and it's going to kill you.

despite what this thread may imply, i am overjoyed at all this. but candidly, unlike what most people say (and IMO lie about), these first weeks also just honestly suck, period.

people have told me several times that before you know it you won't be able to just walk around holding him and it's going to kill you.

despite what this thread may imply, i am overjoyed at all this. but candidly, unlike what most people say (and IMO lie about), these first weeks also just honestly suck, period.

update: for the first time in 4 weeks and now two nights in a row i've gotten 4 full unbroken hours of sleep. i feel like a new man, i actually feel.... somewhat.... normal? but it's all relative.

my biggest takeaway from the last 4 weeks: having a newborn is really hard no matter how you slice it, but it would really be not that bad if you could just be rested. like really not that bad, still really hard, but not that bad.

i've been that tired before in my life, but not for 4 weeks straight. it's actually, literally, physically painful.

can't wait for number 2.

Good to hear that it sounds like everyone is doing well.

Last night, my 8 year old woke me up at 1:30 because he had a stink bug in his bed. My 5 year old, who is basically a muscular meatball, still crawls into bed with us from time to time and kicked me in the face from midnight till I arose at 4:30.

You will sleep in a few years. Caffeine and quiet fits of rage help.

can't wait for number 2.
I tell all new parents that I know, "You're just barely going to get through until they start sleeping through the night. Once you get a decent sleep again you can see how your life gets back to "normal" eventually. Until then, it is really, really hard."

The first time you get 8 hours of sleep you'll realize that you can make it lol. All of my kiddos starting sleeping through the night at 8 or 9 weeks. Focusing on making that happen was probably one of the highlights of my parenting career. The other was getting them potty trained, including no diapers or pull ups through the night, by 2.5 years old. Never had 2 in diapers at the same time.

Sleeping through the night and no more changing diapers, big steps in the parenthood journey lol.

When my four year randomly appears in our bed in the middle of the night, he usually likes to lay there and poke my face for a few minutes before falling asleep. Then the kicking starts...
Do yours use your body like some sort of jungle gym anytime you sit down? They think my groin is some sort of spring board.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back