Caribou Gear Tarp

The Social Dilemma on Netflix

I think it's a shallow look at the problem and it's highly sensationalized to the point of being dishonest. It's no different to all the other moral panics we've seen when new technologies emerge, like the idea that violent video games are at the heart of society's collapse. Instead of blaming school shootings on violent video games, we're seeing riots blamed on social media.
https://onplanners.com/notebooks/best-graph-notebooks

Last edited:
I think it's a shallow look at the problem and it's highly sensationalized to the point of being dishonest. It's no different to all the other moral panics we've seen when new technologies emerge, like the idea that violent video games are at the heart of society's collapse. Instead of blaming school shootings on violent video games, we're seeing riots blamed on social media.
I disagree. I still personally think violent video games are bad in that they desensitize people and lower the value of human life. I'm sure it's easier to hear about than in the past, but it sure seems like there are a lot more people getting beat within an inch of their lives or getting bullied to the point of suicide.

Regarding social media, I think it's hard to deny that it a huge echo chamber. But the problem is that the chamber is so big that some have a problem realizing it's a chamber at all. The programs are literally designed to show you more of what you like. Echo chambers are bad because you need to be challenged to seek out more of the truth. Without seeing the other side it's easier to get entrenched in your viewpoint and vilify others. It's demonstrated in the few, small, places where stuff like racism is still accepted.

I disagree. I still personally think violent video games are bad in that they desensitize people and lower the value of human life. I'm sure it's easier to hear about than in the past, but it sure seems like there are a lot more people getting beat within an inch of their lives or getting bullied to the point of suicide.

Regarding social media, I think it's hard to deny that it a huge echo chamber. But the problem is that the chamber is so big that some have a problem realizing it's a chamber at all. The programs are literally designed to show you more of what you like. Echo chambers are bad because you need to be challenged to seek out more of the truth.
I think your second paragraph is spot on, to the crime point, by just about any measure violent crime peaked during the late 80s early 90s and has gotten much much better.

My 2 cents media gets overplayed, I think violent video games desensitize you to violent video games.
E96B9BD6-E3DA-4DB8-8F4A-B33A82900882.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back