Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Season of Stupid (& elk)

Curved Victorinix boning knives are fantastic for all butchering work, and do 95% of what is needed perfectly well. Most butchers I’ve known prefer them in 6” for all work in the shop, until saws and 12” knives are needed.

Is that 5” or 6”, and do you know if it’s semi-flex or semi-stiff?
Don’t know the length, but it is the flexible one

Well in a fun twist of events, I have been given permission to piss off for a few days between christmas and new years to get back up to WY and see if I can punch one of these two cow tags. Apparently, if you take your wife to Italy for a week and ask for some time to hunt after the trip, it's met with less resistance.

So now I need to start gathering info on what the weather has been, what roads are a no go in December and have a chat with the super friendly warden @Dsnow9 and I ran into in early October... the one who practically begged us to come back. Maybe he'll have some sage advice to help with population control

Just glad to not be done hunting... yet

Curved Victorinix boning knives are fantastic for all butchering work, and do 95% of what is needed perfectly well. Most butchers I’ve known prefer them in 6” for all work in the shop, until saws and 12” knives are needed.

Is that 5” or 6”, and do you know if it’s semi-flex or semi-stiff?
5649E4C3-842D-4935-98E6-578DC5FD5AB1.jpeg

Well in a fun twist of events, I have been given permission to piss off for a few days between christmas and new years to get back up to WY and see if I can punch one of these two cow tags. Apparently, if you take your wife to Italy for a week and ask for some time to hunt after the trip, it's met with less resistance.

So now I need to start gathering info on what the weather has been, what roads are a no go in December and have a chat with the super friendly warden @Dsnow9 and I ran into in early October... the one who practically begged us to come back. Maybe he'll have some sage advice to help with population control

From the looks of it, mild for December. Snow north of Casper when I drove through last week could make the roads a bit muddy.

Good luck.

From the looks of it, mild for December. Snow north of Casper when I drove through last week could make the roads a bit muddy.

Good luck.
yeah, thats what my early research showed too. Was hoping for an epic storm before Christmas so that it pushed them closer to the truck... might be wishful thinking

appreciate the intel!

Ahh, its not done!! Plenty of opportunity for a last ditch effort to plaster another layer of crazy onto a pretty epic season of crazy. I'd bet the hardest part is being properly motivated to engage the crazy button hard enough this late in the season :D.

Bring the sled!

yeah, thats what my early research showed too. Was hoping for an epic storm before Christmas so that it pushed them closer to the truck... might be wishful thinking

appreciate the intel!
Freezing temps will be your friend. If stuff is melting it’s gonna be nasty. Like walking in 12” deep cow 💩

Pretty toasty near Casper today. I was sweating in 2 layers, and didn't care to strip all the way to get the thermals off. Had decent cold temps end of last week, snow dusting Sunday, and some regular Wyoming wind throughout.

Great, I just renewed my subscription to this thread! There should be a poll on what is likely to happen on this trip...

Thanks for spending my money, just ordered the same tarp:) What is your method of cleaning?

One thing that I have never carried is shelter, but less than 6 oz., kind of stupid not too.

Here's another tarp setup, you can get a discount with Randy's magic code.

Last edited:
I’ll give five-to-one odds MtnElk’s truck loses a door, a bumper, and for some reason, the cab light on this trip. Just hoping it’s still running and ready to pull some junipers from the ground this March…

Good luck, and Godspeed, @MtnElk !
man... I really wish I had a retort for this, but given the trajectory of my fall, it's entirely plausible.

but so far, if I hurt the truck, I get an elk. So I am willing to sacrifice a cab light for another cow haha

Also as Deacon can attest after hiking out my elk, I am really good at pulling things out of the ground by just grabbing on and falling backward. So I bring that skill set too to the 2024 Hunt Talk Tree Pull Extravaganza lol

Last edited:
Back