Caribou Gear Tarp

The rifle for deer season 2021

Which should I use this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would certainly use them both. This year, the first week of firearm season I carried either my Featherweight .308 or Mark V .300 Wby. mag. The second week I will carry either my Lazerguard .257 Wby. mag, or my Super Grade .264 Win. mag. I will let the 700 LSS in 7mm Rem. mag. sit this season out. Love 'em all!

I go back and forth between a 338 wm built by Gentry custom in Belgrade MT and a 270 browning. The 338 is built on a sako action with a Gentry barrel.

My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and that thing is a dang good gun for the price!

I always struggle to choose what I hunt with. I like the idea of playing the weather. Sako for the nice days, and the Tikka for the poor weather days!

I go back and forth between a 338 wm built by Gentry custom in Belgrade MT and a 270 browning. The 338 is built on a sako action with a Gentry barrel.

My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and that thing is a dang good gun for the price!

I always struggle to choose what I hunt with. I like the idea of playing the weather. Sako for the nice days, and the Tikka for the poor weather days!
I like the idea if I knew for sure I wouldn’t tag out the first day. The place I hunt has so much traffic that I’d be willing to bet I get a couple on day one, which is the reason choosing one matters more. It may be the only one I get to use

I like the idea if I knew for sure I wouldn’t tag out the first day. The place I hunt has so much traffic that I’d be willing to bet I get a couple on day one, which is the reason choosing one matters more. It may be the only one I get to use
Makes sense! I didn't even shoot my rifle this season. I punched my buck tag with a bow. Good or bad, we're only allowed 1 buck in MN. I still carried my 338 around for rifle season in case I had an itch to take a doe!

No bad choice, the only animal able to tell between the 2 is the person carrying it. .284 has been lucky 7 for me, 7rm, and thats almost exclusively on elk. There was that one deer that stepped in front of the Interarms Mauser 98 Mark X big 7mm.bucky.JPG

It was one of those terrible CO RFW hunts that get dissed here regularly.

Both are fine looking rifles!
I chose the 25-06. But i can see your dilemma.
The 7mm & 25 caliber are my favorites.

For our opening day on Saturday, in PA, i'm taking my Stevens 200 that i rebarreled with a 24" in 250 Savage. I'll be using 100gr Ballistic Tips.
Where i'm going i expect ranges to be 25-70 yards.

For Sunday & Monday i'm hunting a different area. I'll take my Savage 111 that rebarreled to 257 Roberts AI. Shooting the 120gr Partition.

I've taken numerous deer with my 7mms. (7mm-08AI, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag)
When i get some kinks worked out with my Mauser in 284 Win, i'll take that.

I chose 25-06 because I literally just had to make almost this same decision myself. Except mine was between my 280 Rem and my 25-06. I went 25-06 because my groups are just slightly better with it, but it’s not by much. Both great choices that will put a deer down well! Good luck to you sir!

Both are fine looking rifles!
I chose the 25-06. But i can see your dilemma.
The 7mm & 25 caliber are my favorites.

For our opening day on Saturday, in PA, i'm taking my Stevens 200 that i rebarreled with a 24" in 250 Savage. I'll be using 100gr Ballistic Tips.
Where i'm going i expect ranges to be 25-70 yards.

For Sunday & Monday i'm hunting a different area. I'll take my Savage 111 that rebarreled to 257 Roberts AI. Shooting the 120gr Partition.

I've taken numerous deer with my 7mms. (7mm-08AI, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag)
When i get some kinks worked out with my Mauser in 284 Win, i'll take that.
Thanks! They’re my favorite calibers as well. It’s a hard decision for sure

I chose 25-06 because I literally just had to make almost this same decision myself. Except mine was between my 280 Rem and my 25-06. I went 25-06 because my groups are just slightly better with it, but it’s not by much. Both great choices that will put a deer down well! Good luck to you sir!
Good luck to you as well!

I went with 25-06, reason being I have a 25-06 and love shooting it. I don't have a 280AI but plan on converting a Savage Axis II in 7mm-08 to 280AI this next year so in a year my vote may have been different.

Both rifles are good looking rigs though as a few have said, blued steel and wood stocks just look good.

You can't go wrong with either.

I decided to go against the tide and use my 280 Ackley. I goofed around and found a load with 120gr TTSX and IMR 4350 that shoots 1/4” groups at 100 meters.

Thanks to everyone who participated. The poll will still be open until the 30th just for fun.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back