Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

the "Rib Roll"

Yes. Did it this year when using the gutless method. I had helping hands from a bud reaching inside the ribs keeping things out of the way. It’s possible, but wouldn’t be easy solo.

Did it this year on a caribou. In Alaska and I have also done it on elk. Time consuming but worth it

Interesting. do you just wash off all the dirt and gravel that was on the inside if the animal is gutted? Especially on the backside in the video.

Interesting. do you just wash off all the dirt and gravel that was on the inside if the animal is gutted? Especially on the backside in the video.
I'm not sure why they didn't take the roll on the first side before flipping the animal over for quarters, backstrap, and roll on the second side. There's no need to have it rolling around in the dirt if done correctly.

Not a rib roll, but if you want to take the ribs while rafting/boating....
The quickest method I know is to use brush loppers to clip out the ribs.
Snip, snip:
Ribs are great barbecued after cooking in a pressure cooker to tenderize.

For those of you that have done this... do you put it in the grind pile when it's all said or done?

Or do you have any other creative ways to use it?

For those of you that have done this... do you put it in the grind pile when it's all said or done?

Or do you have any other creative ways to use it?
I throw the rib roll in the crock pot with whatever seasonings and make taco meat out of it. For how much time I spend cutting one out, I feel better eating it as a meal then adding it to the grind pile.

I attempted "solo gutless rib roll" today and here is what I learned:

First remove the front quarter. Be careful not to cut off the rib meat along with the quarter
IMG_0903.JPGIMG_0904.JPG

Next, remove the hindquarter. If the abdomen is bloated, make a small opening on the bottom of the abdominal cavity to let the intestines spill out a little, so you have plenty of working room along the ribs later.
IMG_0894.JPG

Next, remove the backstrap.
IMG_0905.JPG

Next, separate the neck cut from the rib roll by cutting a straight line from the end of the backstrap to top edge of the sternum. You can feel the sternum easily (where my finger is).
IMG_0906.JPGIMG_0907.JPG

The next part I did "fair". This was an approx. 180 lb buck and he had very little meat on the short ribs. I tried to maintain it as a contiguous piece with the rest of the rib roll but it was a bit sloppy because the tenderloin got in the way and the short rib strips were so thin. I'd recommend just removing the tenderloin at this point, and starting the rib roll at the first long rib on animals this size. Bigger critters you'd probably be fine including the short ribs as part of the roll and cutting out the tenderloin at the same time as you work your way up the spine.
IMG_0908.JPG

After the short ribs, detach the diaphragm from the inside rib wall on the side you are working on. When you come to this step on the other side of the carcass, you can remove the diaphragm in a single piece to either keep or discard.
IMG_0909.JPG

If you want to remove the liver, make sure to remove it after every muscle is already removed. I made the mistake of cutting it out, only to have bile pool on opposite rib wall that I hadn't removed yet.

IMG_0910.JPGIMG_0911.JPG

Rib roll!

Yes it definitely would be easier, but if you wanted to do a gutless rib roll by yourself it's not too hard...really not much harder than removing the tenderloins gutless, it just takes longer.

I need to shoot one in the morning so i can practice this method. I have started a couple times and couldnt get it and quit. im sure after a couple practice its easy, just need the time and not fighting the inevitable darkness coming.

I feel like the crock pot or a type of carne asada recipe could be the way to go. I need to try one of those, I’ve always just been lazy and thrown it in the grind pile.

i don't know why you would leave the rib meat behind. I like making rib steaks but you can also just use the rib meat for burger. why leave it unless you're just being too lazy or too rushed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back