Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The Price of Conviction, or, gun dogs deserve better!

dgibson

Looks like Iam's has had quite a bit more than a one-time fling with HSUS, and a publisher of gun dog magazines has had enough. From The Outdoor Wire (click here):
For anyone in the business of communications, especially in "affinity" communications (like ours), there is a fine line between editorial purity and the impression that anyone supporting our "affinity" group - whatever their actions - will get a pass from us.

Unfortunately, that's too-often a correct; for the cost of conviction can be costly. For some of us, our convictions have meant the loss of industry "friends" (although those are friends you can live without) or being ostracized by colleagues. In other instances, it can lead to putting your particular publication through potentially rough times -because you choose to represent your readers- and your convictions.

Yesterday, The Outdoor Wire learned The Pointing Dog Journal, The Retriever Journal, Traveling Wingshooter, and Just Labs magazines were "firing" their second-largest advertiser. When I got in touch with Laurie Morrow, the Director of Communications & Advertising, what I learned was quite a story. These small magazines are, indeed, severing a long and successful advertising relationship with IAMS/Eukanuba dog food.

Why?

Concerns over that Procter & Gamble subsidiary's continued support of the Human Society of the United States (HSUS), an avowed animal rights group that, despite the benign title, is vehemently opposed to hunting. This group purchases wild land for the express purpose of allowing it to lie dormant -and off- limits to hunting.

Recently, the magazines received readers' complaints about IAMS support of "Pet Fests" - again, a benign sounding six city tour featuring the IAMS Superdogs and other exhibits. "It turned into a groundswell of protest," Morrow told me, "subscribers called us and told us they were boycotting all IAMS products. Then they told us they were canceling their subscriptions with us as well."

At that point, Morrow contacted the External Affairs Department of IAMS and explained the situation simply: "our readers have concern over the perceived link between IAMS and HSUS. This is causing a hue-and-cry in the sporting dog community. They are going to boycott IAMS products - and cancel subscriptions in our publications as well."

Many of the sporting dog owners also called the US Sportsman's Alliance, a group already making noises about the IAMS/HSUS connection. And, Morrow told The Outdoor Wire, that had already generated a number of calls and letters to IAMS.

The last "Pet Fest" is scheduled for April 17, and as of now, there's still no official word on the program continuing - or IAMS continued sponsorship. So, pet food company officials apparently hoped the whole affair would simply "go away." In an attempt to offer IAMS the opportunity to address the concerns of the sporting dog community, Morrow and the editorial team asked to be allowed to "help craft a position paper to put in Gun Dog and Pointing Dog Journal to satisfy all parties." It was their expressed intent, according to Morrow, to allow IAMS the opportunity to apologize for the apparent HSUS support. It didn't turn out that way. A position paper was written, but "watered down," according to Morrow. At that point, she said, "gut feelings told her to do some more checking on the IAMS/HSUS relationship."

At that point, a gut feeling turned into a sinking sensation.

The connection between the dog food manufacturer and the anti-hunting HSUS was considerably deeper than a one-time event. In fact, the HSUS's Chief of Staff holds a seat on the six-member IAMS Nutritional Advisory Board. The other members also appeared to Morrow to represent neutral or anti-hunting groups. The HSUS website proudly described Pet Fests as another way to "recruit new support" for their positions - including the efforts to stop hunting. To that end, HSUS representatives were actively "working" the events, passing out literature and recruiting new members to "draw them into the animal rights movement."

At that point, IAMS was asked to consider the addition of a seventh member - a pro-hunting member - to their nutritional advisory board. The suggestion included the name of a well-known and respected canine orthopedist. One IAMS had used for advice in the past. Addition of this pro-hunting enthusiast, Morrow suggested, might soothe the rumpled feathers among the sporting dog community.

The suggestion was met with resounding silence. Consequently, Morrow and editor Steve Smith realized they faced a hard decision. "Since 1998, IAMS/Eukanuba has spent nearly $17 5, 000 with our magazines, " Morrow related, "in niche publications like ours, that's a lot of revenue."

"But," she said, "we realized that we just can't sit on both sides of the fence. Our advertisers aren't why we're here - our readers are." So, it was a simple editorial decision, to fire their second largest advertiser. The reasoning was simple: "if we don't stand up for what we believe, what would make anyone want to read us," Morrow explains, "I wouldn't."

Just yesterday, IAMS received initial word of the decision. The notification said very simply: " we're not angry; you just can't advertise here anymore."

The sporting dog community isn't a huge market segment. In corporations, it's always about market share. Consequently, a lack of response most likely reflects a general corporate feeling that, if you ignore something long enough, it will eventually go away on its own.

IAMS has been a tremendous supporter of field trials across the country. It may also be a corporate assumption that financial support is important enough to keep the protests to a minimum - inside the range of "acceptable losses." Many financially strapped groups may, indeed, choose to turn a blind eye to the whole matter and take the money.

The Outdoor Wire has learned from highly-reliable sources that the groundswell of indignation may continue to gain momentum. According to sources, one highly respected national event has already voted not to welcome IAMS back. Further, several groups not traditionally associated with the field dog publications are looking at throwing their advertising support behind Pointing Dog Journal, Retriever Journal, Just Labs, and Traveling Wingshooter.

"We're doing this happily, " Morrow told me. "advertising isn't why - or even how - we exist. We didn't face a quandary in making a decision - we exist for our readers. We might take a financial hit, but it's one we couldn't afford not to take."

As of our deadline, calls to IAMS had not been returned. Should they respond, we'll certainly afford them the opportunity to explain their decisions - and respond to the decisions of these magazines.

In the meantime, I've decided I can afford a couple of new magazine subscriptions. Maybe I'll teach my Cairn Terrier to point - or my neighbor's Jack Russell to retrieve. Even if I don't, I'll believe what I read.

Get outside and enjoy your weekend.

The underlying enemy will never stop until it is pushed into their faces that enough is enough.... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back