The Passing of a Montana Conservation & Public Access Warrior

katqanna

The Passing of a Montana Conservation & Public Access Warrior

I didn't see anything posted here, so I thought I would share my recent newsletter with y'all. So much of the stream access and public lands access that so many enjoy here in Montana, especially state public lands, was fought for and paid for with his own money, by Tony Schoonen Sr. from Butte. Tony passed away last night.

Schoonen small.png

During the past several decades if there was a meeting, hearing, rally, or other gathering to support public access to public lands for outdoor recreation, Tony Schoonen loomed large and spoke strongly and rationally. He was a charter member and active principle proponent of Public Land Access Association, transitioning then to Public Land and Water Access Association (PLAA, then PLWA). Tony and a few others donated their own money, time, talent, expertise, and hard work to open Montana State Lands for public recreation on behalf of the public. His efforts have been critical to establishing, preserving, and defending the Montana Stream Access Law. Tony Schoonen's passing leaves a huge void in the important advocacy for public access to public lands in Montana.

And Mr. Schoonen was a Butte guy.
A Butte sportsman.
Called BS on BS. Always with pro sportsmen/women's interests in mind. Always.
Something becoming more and more rare.
I have often shared the salmonfly hatch camp at Divide MT with dose butte guyz. Tony's Sr.'s legacy is evident while in their presence.
Look forward to hear when a memorial will take place - hopefully, quite a celebration of a life well lived.......................................................

Thanks, Kat.

You're welcome. I loved Tony's passion. He was one of the few that wasn't shocked, or tried to correct my (being female) cussing about conservation/privatization bullshit. He laughed the first time and said he guessed he didn't have to watch his tongue then. And he didn't. 😂

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. He was a badass dude. When I spoke to him last summer he laughed when told him that I was a "wet behind the ears" youngster sitting in the seats when he was calling out legislators, by name, and telling them where the bull shits in the buckwheat, during a 1994 legislative hearing. I left there with a clear understanding; this is how conservation happens.

We are forever grateful that he was here, doing what he felt was important, without a single care of who might get hurt feelings in the process. Odds are, if you were on the same side as Tony, you were on the right side of wild things and wild places.

Thanks, Tony. We're gonna miss you.

Another great read here. Read carefully and see the pertinence to so many topics on this website. Views of someone who saw everything through the eyes of a sportsman.
My old girl and I got this rooster this morning on, fittingly, Montana State Land. Again, thanks Tony Sr., et al.......
oldb.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Kat. His legacy will certainly live on. I fear that Montana's unique stream access laws are often taken for granted and I can only hope that Tony would take that as a compliment, though I suppose he might not.

You're welcome. You are right about our Stream access too often taken for granted.

After a conversation with him, I worked up a detailed history, including Tony (the pic of him on the Big Hole with Roy), so that younger people would know how it was fought for and some of who did the fighting. Tony contributed not only some of the history, but also financially to help make it possible. He had a bunch of copies printed and distributed them in Butte. He cared greatly about access.

The Public Trust Doctrine & Montana's Stream Access
It is a hi resolution pdf, so it takes a few moments to load. Tony is mentioned on pdf pages 14, 15, 25 & 26, as well as thanks and acknowledgement in the beginning.

Thanks for putting that together, Kat. I've not seen this before. Look forward to placing time to read it.
RE: Tony Schoonen - May he rest in peace and keep his line wet and powder dry.

History will remember Tony as one the forward thinking public land warriors that paved the way for us all.

Thank you and Rest In Peace Mr. Schoonen.

History will remember Tony as one the forward thinking public land warriors that paved the way for us all.

Thank you and Rest In Peace Mr. Schoonen.

He was a Butte guy who probably seldom "rested". If there's a Big Hole River in heaven, he's on it. If there's hell in heaven, he's raisin' it.
From the above article.....

".........Later, he would also guide for both Charles and David Koch.

“I should have drowned them,” he says with a wink and a grin"...........

nuff said:)

A small and inadequate tribute to Mr. Schoonen's influence on my Montana experience(s).
My wife holding a salmonfly hatch Madison River Brown, her standing within the river high watermark adjacent to the private ground held by a large ranch.
A "raghorn express" bull, from Montana School Trust ground.
Hope some others post up pics, in tribute, of Montana outdoor opportunity(s) made directly possible in no small part from this man's efforts.................tLL.JPGmadrag.jpg

I wish I had known him. We tend to idolize historic figures in conservation, when there are giants walking among us now. I like that RMEF and other organizations recognize these influential leaders while they are active, as well as when they retire, or pass. They are my heroes. You and I can read their opinions right here on HT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back