The one that got away?

I missed this bull the year before it was killed. It was killed less than a half mile from where I missed it..... Ended up talking to the hunter on the phone by a freaky small world chance. Called to inquire about a deer hunting parcel for sale and after yapping with him found out he was the guy who killed it. Small world. I was relieved to hear there was no arrow wounds in it because I never found my arrow and was not sure if I had hit it or not.

Attachments

• Inkedrecordbull_LI.jpg
    Inkedrecordbull_LI.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 44
Also 2010. Watched this guy all summer. Found him right at daybreak of opening morning of archery in SD. Just as I came up with a plan to move closer, someone else is almost running at the deer and blows him out. Searched all morning trying to relocate the buck with no luck. Sat down to each lunch, pulled out a sandwich, took a bite, looked up and he was 40 yards away watching me. Needless to say, he got away and my sandwich got dirty.74.JPG

Did you have any run ins with him this year?
Not yet.

Also 2010. Watched this guy all summer. Found him right at daybreak of opening morning of archery in SD. Just as I came up with a plan to move closer, someone else is almost running at the deer and blows him out. Searched all morning trying to relocate the buck with no luck. Sat down to each lunch, pulled out a sandwich, took a bite, looked up and he was 40 yards away watching me. Needless to say, he got away and my sandwich got dirty.View attachment 122815
God made dirt...dirt don't hurt!
Unless it's a clod and hits your skull bone!Ha!,Ha! 🔥

I was hunting this buck for 3 seasons. Had sheds, trail cam pics, knew which doe gave birth to him. Knew everything about him but always ended up an eyelash away from a shot opportunity. I knew this year would be the year it all came together, but I stubbed my toe at work and couldn’t hunt opening day. Apparently some lady shot him. I guess his heart was pretty big or something.C442466A-0970-4535-82BF-D3280C8CF0E4.jpeg

A few years back in the CO high country, I was after this guy all week, the last day I watched him, 2 small rag horns and a group of cows leave from above timberline and drop down into the timber to bed for the day. Soon as thermals got right I moved in stalking and before I knew it I had closed the distance, unfortunately I snapped a twig and scattered elk everywhere. One however just stood at 40 yards broadside looking at me with completely exposed vitals but the timber was too think to see its head. Unfortunately there were a couple of bulls that weren’t legal I had been seeing so I was hesitant to shoot. After a stand off that was long enough for me to range him and make my shot he finally bolted. It was only after he ran that I could see it was this guy... An hour later I was able to somehow get in front of them due to some lucky breaks in topography and had them cross a meadow right in front of me, the close ones were cows at 20 yards and him Being out at 70. Being the last day I’m now kicking myself for not just wrapping my tag on One of those cows instead of going home empty handed. All in all it was a great week for a flatlander. The pic was taken through a spotter a few days earlier from about 1/2 mile away.747CAD26-FBFF-449E-B171-E0E001F1173E.jpeg

I picked an archery deer tag up off the leftover list in Co. Ran in to the elk the first week I was out on the prairie at 180 yards, snuck to about 40 yards and bumped him and a smaller bull that I didn’t see. Didn’t have a rifle with me and watched him for a couple days, just couldn’t get the wind right to make a move. The deer is one of the only deer I’ve seen, got to 60 yards and spooked a doe I didn’t see. Was able to walk up a bare hillside, take a couple pictures with him at 75 yards. Snuck around above him and blew him out from 50 yards. No idea where he went.C0C9B532-011E-4E1B-B540-566DCD078EBB.jpeg635A20BE-6A42-4F30-A3FA-6C978A71C62D.jpeg

I've seen some nice/exceptional animals, but wouldn't put them in the "got away" catagory since I had no real chance at them.

Two that think about include a 360 class bull that I cut hair off at 25 yards with my bow, and another as big that I missed with a rifle at about 60 yards in the trees.

One deer I chased for 3 years before my neighbor shot him. He was 24" inside. One of the biggest whitetail I'ever seen in SW Montana. Screenshot_20191216-191550_Photos.jpg

set 2.2.JPG

Copy of 2002 MT whitetail.jpg

I picked an archery deer tag up off the leftover list in Co. Ran in to the elk the first week I was out on the prairie at 180 yards, snuck to about 40 yards and bumped him and a smaller bull that I didn’t see. Didn’t have a rifle with me and watched him for a couple days, just couldn’t get the wind right to make a move. The deer is one of the only deer I’ve seen, got to 60 yards and spooked a doe I didn’t see. Was able to walk up a bare hillside, take a couple pictures with him at 75 yards. Snuck around above him and blew him out from 50 yards. No idea where he went.View attachment 122825View attachment 122826
ZBB respectable Buck,did you owe him money?He don't look happy!🔥

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back