The nicest hunters?

SoCalhunt88

Alright so who takes the cake; I came to hunting later in life and largely been on the side of big game and have recently got more into upland and waterfowl. This last week I’ve run into a couple guys in the middle of nowhere Nevada chasing Chukar and I’ve gotta say they’ve been some of the cooler folks to interact with in the field. I’m gonna give my vote to Chukar hunters as some of the “nicer” hunters out there. Quite a bit different from the waterfowl guys I’ve run into… what’s everyone’s thoughts

Interesting observation, I have had similar experiences. In my experience, grouse/woodcock hunters I run into are usually chill and happy to shoot the breeze. Duck hunting seems like it can bring out the worst in people occasionally.

I suspect it has to due with protecting their turf- being “on the spot” is important in duck hunting and people get frisky over it. With grouse/woodcock, their are usually a ton of places to choose from so I don’t notice people getting as territorial.

Interesting observation, I have had similar experiences. In my experience, grouse/woodcock hunters I run into are usually chill and happy to shoot the breeze. Duck hunting seems like it can bring out the worst in people occasionally.

I suspect it has to due with protecting their turf- being “on the spot” is important in duck hunting and people get frisky over it. With grouse/woodcock, their are usually a ton of places to choose from so I don’t notice people getting as territorial.
I thought something similar, plenty of space and plenty of ridges.

Would have to agree, most upland hunters I’ve ran into be in pheasant, chukar, or quail have been pretty damn good folks. Refuge waterfowlers can be the worst and I’ve also ran into some pretty arrogant antelope hunters as well (like they own the entire unit)

Not species specific, but most backpack hunters I’ve bumped into are very friendly. Guys on horses about 50/50, some great, some real tools.
Dude, I ran into some real pricks way deep here in WA this year. Then in a WSA in Idaho a little later I ran into some "nice" guys but I happened by their camp later and turns out they were surface sh!tters... which IMO is evening worse than being a prick in the Backcountry.

My vote is upland as well.

All depends, biggest douches overrun into are always whitetail hunters usually throwing out the word "bro" and referring to all the deer they've named and there qdm techniques. Then again it could just be because all of those guys I've met are in Illinois and were all pricks here.

A**holes are where you find them...

The biggest jerks are the ones who try to protect "their spot" which turns out to be public land and is not really "their spot".

I've found a huge correlation between Type 1 fun and A-hole behavior, I dub it the FOMO effect.

It snows 3ft over night and people driving up to go skiing turn into absolute psychos, I've seen fist fights in the lift line. Mid-season no snow in a couple weeks, people are super chill.

300 elk on a piece of state land in MT next to a road... total chaos, backcountry 5 miles in super low density OTC people are typically pretty laid back.

Black Friday sales...

I think generally speaking duck hunting attracts folks seeking type I fun and chukar hunting attracts folks seeking type II and hence the difference.

Most congenial were a group of horsemen from Stephenville, TX. Biggest assholes have been locals, by far.

*My example is elk hunting.

Last edited:
I think upland hunters in general have been some of the most down-to-earth hunters I’ve met, both on my personal time and talking to hunters for work, with one notable exception. There’s a certain subset of pheasant hunters that rival some waterfowlers as the biggest a-holes I’ve personally encountered. If you treat your truck and your gun better than your dog and turn up your nose at sharpies, we can’t be friends.

Not species specific, but most backpack hunters I’ve bumped into are very friendly. Guys on horses about 50/50, some great, some real tools.
When backpacking, the best way to ensure great relations with horsemen is to get well up off the trail when you encounter them. Even livestock that are backcountry savvy will very often spook at the sight of someone with a gaudy coloured hump on his back. I always tried to explain it to backpackers I ran into on the trail. About 75% were more than happy to jump out of the way. Many were indignant assholes stubbornly clinging to their constitutional right to public property. If you get off the trail for a pack train withot being asked, I guarantee you will make a friend. Or you can argue your rights with flying horseshoes.

When backpacking, the best way to ensure great relations with horsemen is to get well up off the trail when you encounter them. Even livestock that are backcountry savvy will very often spook at the sight of someone with a gaudy coloured hump on his back. I always tried to explain it to backpackers I ran into on the trail. About 75% were more than happy to jump out of the way. Many were indignant assholes stubbornly clinging to their constitutional right to public property. If you get off the trail for a pack train withot being asked, I guarantee you will make a friend. Or you can argue your rights with flying horseshoes.
I hear you on the rude backpackers, anyone with backcountry savvy will steep BELOW the trail for you. If I'm on the trail and headed back to camp from hunting The first thing I will do is look for a spot to step below trail when I first see horses coming. I ran 29 pack trips this year and most folks were great to work with ,have to school some of them but I make sure I thank them as well . The worst are the Subaru bunch with the FLY poles and the ones you would see in line at the ski lift.

Small game hunters are the best, I've never actually bumped in to one in the field...

I've found a huge correlation between Type 1 fun and A-hole behavior, I dub it the FOMO effect.

It snows 3ft over night and people driving up to go skiing turn into absolute psychos, I've seen fist fights in the lift line. Mid-season no snow in a couple weeks, people are super chill.

Agreed! The weekend ski traffic to and from Denver contains the biggest gathering of a-holes anywhere in the northern hemisphere on any given Saturday or Sunday (and now Fridays too).

...prove me wrong

Last edited:
I'm sure after this year there's a few folks in the area I hunt who think pheasant hunters are arseholes. I admit I can come very unglued when hunters abuse the block management rancher's property. Drive around off road and tear the place up after getting stuck, and yeah you're going to hear some choice words from me. Also called the game warden ... and she returned the call the next day. Caught a couple of young punks hunting without signing in. Now that REALLY pisses me off. Those ranchers get paid by the state per hunter who signs in. Show some gratitude and help them out! Yep, I gave those two a piece of my mind and headed straight to the ranchouse (where unbeknown to them designated parking is located anyway). Also, so many guys grab the map from the sign in box and don't look at the rancher's conditions on the back. "Do you know if the rancher allows smoking on this property?" "Why wouldn't he?" "For the same reason he doesn't want you driving all over the place: fire prevention. Look at this place. It's dryer than a popcorn fart." My brother was a fire investigator for insurance and over the years his team investigated countless prairie fires caused by cigarettes and vehicle catalytic converters. Instructions on reverse of map says stay off the roads if they're muddy (DUH!) Sure enough, down the road comes a big pickup throwing clods fifty yards in the air. I wave them over. "You're not supposed to be driving out here when it's muddy." "We're okay. This is a 4x4." When that rutted gumbo dries up into concrete, it will be impassible for anything less than a Sherman tank! Stupid jerks. And yes, seems the offenders are always locals (in Montana the first digits on license plate indicate the county). The only gate I have ever encountered left open by a hunter was a hobby ranchette neighbour. I watched him do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back