Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The newest Wolverine is.......

Songdog3060

Hello everyone, my name is Mike, I live in Michigan at the southern tip of Lake Huron.

Michigan is the laughing stock of deer management in the country.

I'm looking forward to spending the last half of my hunting career in western states, chasing something besides a 1.5 yo whitetails. I've been to some of the western parks and am in love with the country can't wait to see more of it.
I'm building points in Wyoming, South Dakota. I'am a 3 season hunter (Archery, rifle and muzzleloader). I look forward to learning from the seasoned western hunters and I promise not to ask to many noob questions.

Can't wait to see the Mule Deer pic coming in this season. Good luck everyone.

Welcome, I'm due west of you on Lake MI.

Looking at my CBM book the other day there are quite a few bruisers taken on your side of the state. A state with several counties that consistently produce 170" whitetails with pretty liberal season dates, I wouldn't classify as the laughing stock. There are some local policies that are pretty dumb but most of that is isolated down state around cities and I am sure you will find that the same nation wide. I would agree that they need to review the UP deer plan, if that is what you meant. But as a whole, it could be far worse.

Addicting- Things are getting a little better mostly around private individuals adhering to QDMA practices.

Michigan has great potential I mean great, good habitat mostly mild winters in the lower peninsula with plenty of food.

THe problem we have is the state is divided into very small tracts of land. I mean every 5 acre homestead has a hunter on it and very few people pass on the first buck they see. The state of Michigan puts about 300,000 people in the field with archery equipment and easily twice that many with a gun. As mentioned our firearm season is LIBERAL! I read a state report once, with a grain of salt as Mi is not a mandatory check state. We kill about 40% of our deer herd very year between hunter take and car accidents. Hard to find a 3yo unless you have 100acres of QDMA management but hings are getting better. It could be great if the culture changes..... the state just does not seem intrested in legislating an older age structure into the herd.

We debate best practices here until peoples ears begin the bleed or they come to blows! We just have so much potential here.

QDMA is an age/score based trophy hunting plan. Trying to force that on a population that mainly just enjoys hunting for hunting sake will never work and should never work. It's not mismanaged, it's what the majority of the people want and what brings the most revenue into the state. I can't speak for your corner of the state where it is highly populated. However, I have spent a lot of time on both public and private throughout the rest of the state and seen some great deer taken by those willing to put the work in. Weather that work was knocking on farmers doors or putting in the hours learning public tracts.

But you are right, people argue QDMA all the time and it generally goes nowhere. This is a welcoming part of the forum and I guess I need to remember that. I wish you the best on here.

Addicting.

That is one of the most well thought out and welcoming post ever. I like people who make you think.

QDMA is an age/score based trophy hunting plan. Trying to force that on a population that mainly just enjoys hunting for hunting sake will never work and should never work. It's not mismanaged, it's what the majority of the people want and what brings the most revenue into the state. I can't speak for your corner of the state where it is highly populated. However, I have spent a lot of time on both public and private throughout the rest of the state and seen some great deer taken by those willing to put the work in. Weather that work was knocking on farmers doors or putting in the hours learning public tracts.

But you are right, people argue QDMA all the time and it generally goes nowhere. This is a welcoming part of the forum and I guess I need to remember that. I wish you the best on here.

I agree and I agree. hunting is supposed to be fun, hopefully for everyone. I have managed to quite well here in the 34 years I've been roaming fields and woodlots in " The Thumb" but the one thing we don't have here ..... Mule Deer high and wide!!!!! or antelpoe or javelina or super meaningful elk! these are the things that will light my fire in the next 30 years or so God willing.

Back