The Nature Conservancy

Oak

Expert
I visited a ranch that is run by The Nature Conservancy when I was elk hunting last week. The ranch was acquired by the conservancy in the mid-90's, and is still being operated as a cattle ranch. The reason I went there was to ask for permission to hunt, although I wasn't too optimistic. I figured that they would be supported by enough anti-hunting dollars to sway their management of the ranch that direction. I was quite suprised when the ranch manager was more than happy to let me hunt. This guy wasn't a rancher or a hunter, he was a suit hired by the Conservancy to operate the ranch. His exact quote to me was, "I sure would like to put a dent in the elk population." He took me on a tour of the ranch, showing me boundaries and off limit areas where cattle were grazing, as well as the most successful areas. The lone hunter that was hunting that afternoon killed a cow elk while I was there.

I filled my second tag in another area that afternoon, so did not hunt the ranch the next morning as planned. But it sure was refreshing to see such a pro-hunting view coming from a conservation organization that is not tied to hunters. Sounds like a group worth supporting.

Oak

Oak, Don't be too fast to judge the entire organization from the response of one guy. It appears that your experience was a good one, but what else lurks in those woods??

cool.gif

Good question. I looked around on their website for hints to how they felt about hunting in general. Couldn't find much. I thought maybe some of you may have dealt with them and could shed some light.

Oak

The TNC is, IMO, the best conservation organization going right now, with RMEF coming in second. Do they allow hunting, yes, but not on all their properties and they don't advertise that they allow it. They are not pro-hunting, but if it fits in with their mission statement to conserve biodiversity they will allow it. I liken them to being quite indifferent on the subject so as too not cause a polarity within the organization. The greatest thing TNC does is bring all sides of an issue to the table to get a GOOD management plan developed so that all are willing to participate, but they, to my knowledge, will not compromise their misson to do so. In addition, they are willing (and able) to try inovative management techniques on their land that can then be applied to other lands. The Red Canyon Ranch in WY is often used as an example of using cattle to improve the landscape for both the livestock and wildlife. The are a member of the research group that I'm working for in trying to use behaviorial principles to better manage grazing. My advisor has been at Utah St. for 38years working mostly on conservation and restoration issues and is an avid hunter and fishermen. TNC is the only organization he's leaving anything to in his will and he's one of the most cynical, suspicious people that I've spent much time around.

I can understand Dan's fears, but I don't think they are a wolf in sheeps clothing. (pun intended) I think sportsmen are missing the boat big time if we don't start getting affiliated with these organizations. There is money and other resources there that could be used to the benefit of hunters if they'd just get involved.

Oak, if you do a quick search you'll find I've started a couple of posts regarding TNC in the past. Glad you had a good experience. I bet many don't even ask to hunt because of the perception that a 'conservation' organization has.

1-ponter, I agree completely with ya. TNC has been a great outfit and tho being a conservation outfit, they are not antihunting. TNC is much better than RMEF.

In my part of the country, TNC purchased a large ranch and they allow grazing and hunting. The only restricted hunting is sage grouse. I don't believe hunting sage grouse is good science to why numbers are in trouble, but I think it is more than a fair trade to hunt the other game on the ranch.

Mtmiller- The ranch I'm doing my research on has been doing a bunch of sagegrouse research as well. They found that behind Golden Eagles (and other raptors) the next biggest cause of mortality was fence collisions!! That was a big suprise for me as I'd never thought of that being a problem.
With habitat loss and especially degration of what is there, the sagegrouse needs all the help they can get. Though it's not good science as to the decline, I imagine hunting for the is restricted because of it being a 'hot topic' with some of their members. TNC bases more of their management and conducts better research than the fed. agencies that I'm aware of.

Back