Caribou Gear Tarp

The Monkey

That was a cool story! Nicely written and great photos.

Excellent job on planning the trip and executing it to perfection.

A true "On Your Own Adventure".

A tip of the hat to you.

Thanks for the read and pics. Looks like you guys had fun.

I've never been around llamas, looks like they would be pretty handy when it comes time to pack meat. Did you have to bring anything special for them to keep them in camp, or are they pretty much like horses. Ya know, tie, picket, hobble, shoot in the head, the general maintenance stuff?

Awesome job.Great story and pictures. You guys did it right, you should be proud of your selves. That's a true DIY job right there.

I've been reading student papers for nearly eight hours, your essay and pics were a great break for me. thanks. Nothing wrong with a cow elk hunt. I have a cow tag for Wyoming and have already missed a calf, so you are giving me inspiration!

Congrats and yes you should be proud of how you prepared and executed the plan, and adjusted as needed. Horns do not figure in that.

First I want to say I appreciate all the kind comments. This very well could be the trip of a lifetime for me. There have been several questions regarding the llamas. The overall experience was great. They allowed us to access remote, steep country quietly with enough equipment to make a comfortable camp. Llamas only need water about every three days which was another advantage as the only water available was at the bottom of the basin. Llamas eat WHATEVER is around and although we carried llama chow because we had never been into that country, if you have grass around you can stake them at night for grazing and forget about the food. Each llama is good for about 80lbs or a little better when fresh. We had about 90lbs on the big black one going in. Now, you can work them down, and ours did get tired after we moved camp, packed out an overload of meat again 90lbs range each, and then going right back in the next day to get camp. With that said we packed way to heavy planning to be stranded in the wilderness for weeks I guess. We could have done a lot better on our planning end and conserved the animals a little better. On whole I do recommend the llamas highly for one seeking to stay light, mobile, and quiet, all very valuable characteristics of an elk hunter. They are about as carefree of a pack animal there is.

HD

Nice write up and great elk. I haven't been to Salida in 10 years. Did you stay at the motel that had a hot tub in the parking lot? Can't remember the name but that's where we stayed. Loved sitting in that hot tub with my hair frozen. Going to Wyoming to try for a cow next week. Hope we do as good as you guys did.

Great write up and congratulations on your cow. That is a well earned trophy done the hard way. Not having a set of horns should do nothing to diminish your sense of accomplishment.

big congrats! I can only imagine the feeling, all but one of my elk hunts have ended like yours from last year.

That was a great hunt even without the bull. The hunt was the same with or without antlers. You guys did your homework and had a safe, successful hunt. It gets no better than that. The pics of the llamas are great. How much weight did you put on them?

Great story great pics, sounds like you guys had a blast and were able to bring home some of the best eating meat one can get. congrats to you both.

Nothing finer than a DIY hunt, except one that ends with a tag on an animal. Congratulations on a job well down.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back