The Mirage Buck

heelerdog

Opening morning of Antelope season here in California dawned clear and full of promise. My wife and I had successfully set up in the middle of a sage flat that is 1 mile by 1 1/2 miles. We knew the herd was there as we had put them to bed there. The herd is one good buck with 26 does. Shooting light is 0544, at 0535 a truck comes slowly down the road. I covertly shine my flashlight on him four times which was acknowledged by the driver. It is now time to hunt at 0555 we located the herd south of us about 800 yards away. The entire herd is feeding and has not a clue of our presence. We begin our stalk. At 550 yards the jackass in the truck on the opposite side of the herd begins shooting, my theory that he moved on had been proven wrong and he was shooting in our direction. :MAD |oo |oo |oo The rest of the day went pretty much the same, ran into alot of less than ethical hunters.
Over the course of the next few days I saw the buck but never got a good shot opportunity. He either had brush covering his vitals or does were in the way. He disappeared Wednesday and Thursday and yesterday morning was the cut off for trophy/fill the tag hunting.
Last night I hunted a new area. I quickly spotted a promising buck while a friend drove. The buck was about 1200 yards away. After an 800 yard open country stalk, that included the divine pleasure of crawling over lava rock without knee pads because I forgot them in the truck, I took the shot. The buck was south of me, the wind was blowing from the west at 10-15 miles. One shot the buck dropped in it's tracks with grass in it's mouth. A perfect shot right in the boiler room from 424 yards away. hump
One pic will show the entry wound at the tip of the bullet, one will show what happened to the ear on exit, one will show the rise I shot from just past the truck.

Attachments

• goat shot.JPG
    goat shot.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 135
  • goats ear.JPG
    goats ear.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 138
  • me & goat.JPG
    me & goat.JPG
    815.6 KB · Views: 134
  • shot from.JPG
    shot from.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 125
Forgot to tell you why I call him the Mirage Buck. When I glassed him he looked like he had real good bases and I couldnt make out the rest of the horns. I thought he'd be 13 maybe 14 inches. Obviously he isn't, the mirage got me and made his horns appear bigger. Oh well you can't eat the horns.

Got 'er done, Heelerdog!! Good job!! Dang right 'ya can't eat the horns, but you sure can sizzle up a couple of seasoned 'lope steaks anytime you want. Yumm ...nothing finer!!!
My cousin constantly ran into hordes of shooting roadhunters on his antelope hunt in the Tables, and as soon as he learned how to avoid them all he got his buck. That sure looks like the edge of Jess Valley in the upper right hand corner. Gobble up a steak for me, Dave.

Thats Devils Garden back there. Jess Valley is about 12 miles behind me. He was good eating last night and should get better when I pick him up from the butcher. Damn roadhunters really pissed me off, I know I'm on public ground and you got every right to be there but if a guy's already hunting there the proper thing to do is go find your own damn spot. Hell you got almost the whole county to hunt in and a vast majority is public ground. Why bother me?|oo |oo |oo |oo

Funny part was when I walked up on him he has the bullet hole in his ear. I didnt see the entry right away and briefly thought I missed and hit the ear and the summabish had a heart attack or fainted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back