The Luck of Brand New Spots!

fredbear

Hello Everyone. This is my first post in a couple of years, probably due to a little bit of laziness and maybe some feelings of inadequacies compared to some of the great stories, animals, and photos that get posted to this forum. I have had a couple great seasons and was starting to feel a little bit selfish for enjoying all the great threads without posting any of my own, so here is quick summary of my 2015 season followed by my 2016 archery bull, all public land hunts.

Opening weekend 2015 started with a half assed attempt to hunt the Tendoy Sheep herd with my buddy who had the tag but we were quickly distracted by the thoughts of bugle bulls. We switched mountain ranges and packed camp into an unknown basin. The next day we were able to call in a small bull and watch a lone wolf chase a whole herd out of the head of the basin.
P1050897.jpgP1050900.jpgP1050903.jpgP1050954.jpg

The next weekend I was on my own so I decided to hunt a new spot that I had only scouted on Google Earth. Had a great morning calling to multiple bulls and getting a 5 point within 60 yards. After lunch and a quick nap I started cow calling my way through some great timber. I quickly got a response and headed straight for him, after getting hung up on a couple spikes I reached a clearing that I cow called at the edge of and got a very close response, so I worked my way to the other side towards the bugle by the time I got the other side I could see the bull through a narrow patch of timber headed for where I last called. He had no idea I was where I was, I drew as he went behind a tree and let her fly as he cleared the tree about 30 yards away. Solid hit with a complete pass through but a little far back, probably due to not stopping the bull before the shot. Tracking took about an hour but he didn’t make it very far and I had my biggest bull on the ground. I broke him down and packed out one heavy load that night and got my dad to come in the next day to help with the rest.
P1050920.jpgP1050924.jpgP1050925.jpgP1050927.jpgP1050935.jpgP1050938.jpgP1050942.jpg
Bull.jpg

Fast forward to late November, again by myself, again brand new spot only seen on Google Earth, this time looking for mule deer. Drove in on the one road into the area as far as I could before the road got drifted closed, I wasn’t where I wanted to be but I was willing to give it a shot. Hiked to the top of the ridge and immediately started seeing deer. I hunted my way down a finger ridge on the other side and located a large herd of deer with a couple decent bucks. With as many deer as there was I had trouble working in on them so I got to around 600 yards of the biggest buck and waited. Getting close to dark they started feeding away from me so I thought it was now or never and headed straight for them, dropped into a draw and when I topped out they were what I thought was 450 yards, first shot was a clean miss second shot hit high and dropped him on the spot. After the fact I believe I had an operation issue with my range finder and actual range was probably only 350 yards. I got to him and was able to debone him before dark and get him out in one load.

buck.jpgP1060079.jpgP1060082.jpgP1060091.jpgP1060099-1.jpgP1060101.jpgP1060102.jpg

So for the summer of 2016 I decided to scout the area that I killed my bull in. Had a couple of good trips in and got some neat trail cam pictures.

P1060178.jpgP1060182.jpgP1060200.jpgP1060204.jpg

19SUNP0002 6pt.jpg20SUNP0003 6pt.jpg24SUNP0007.jpg28SUNP0011.jpg29SUNP0012.jpg32SUNP0005 6pt.jpg33SUNP0006 6pt.jpg34SUNP0007 6pt.jpg36SUNP0009 6pt.jpg37SUNP0010 6pt.jpg38SUNP0011 6pt.jpg

This all helped me decide to concentrate on this are for this archery season.

I better do this in a couple posts so I don't loose anything.

The day before the opener my buddy and I packed in and camped. We had a great, wet, cold few days full of great encounters. I was even able to get a 50 yard shot on a five point through the timber but I failed to notice branches over top of my shot window and the shot deflected. P1060209.jpgP1060211.jpgP1060212.jpgP1060214.JPG

So the next week I took a couple vacation days and planned to hit that spot again, this time solo, but due to a transmission going out in my truck and the wife needing her rig I was left with my car only. The spot I had been scouting all summer required a four wheel drive to get in so I had to go to plan B. That’s how we get to new spot number 3, again by myself. I packed in about 6 miles and set up camp for the night. The next day I hunted a ridge that looked like it should hold elk, it had a little bit of bull sign but no cow sign and if there were any elk in the area I couldn’t get a response to save my life, this probably was a good thing due to this ridge being on the wrong side of the camp that was 6 miles in. Midafternoon I decided to pull camp and relocate to another area of interest that was a little closer to the trailhead. On the way there I started noticing more cow sign, which excited me and I found a wallow that had been freshly stirred up. Set up camp and did a short evening hunt before dark, no elk spotted or heard. The next morning I was finally able to get a bull to bugle but he was down at the bottom of this huge clearing and in order to get the wind right for an approach I had to drop down to the timber on one side of the ridge then head in. I think I took too long and he lost interest. I relaxed for a while in the sun, had a snack and some cold coffee before hunting my way through the timber in the direction I thought he headed. After about an hour I had just got done doing a calling sequence and was headed down a draw when I heard a single chuckle. I went back to the last location and called again and sure enough the bull erupted. After changing position a couple times and closing the distance slightly I felt I had a good wind, he was close and he was headed my way so I went quiet. He bugled a couple times looking for me and I finally started seeing his antlers working through the timber. I never got a look at his entire rack only pieces and parts but it was enough to know that I wanted to shoot him. He slowly worked his way my direction and I thought he was going come straight at me but instead he started to move across in front of me until he was broadside in an opening that I estimated at 45 yards. I drew, picked my pin and shot. I could see the arrow fly and new it hit right where it was supposed to. I cow called immediately after the shot and a minute later heard what I believe was his moans of death. The shot was a complete pass through so I recovered my arrow and gave him his half an hour before looking for him. My feelings were correct and I found him about 75 yards from the shot. Took some pictures, broke him down and packed the first load out that night and came in the next day with a good crew and we were able to retrieve camp and finish getting the elk out in one trip. Interesting deal, when I was processing the bull I found two different broad heads in his upper back area, looked to be a couple seasons ago.

P1060216.jpgP1060226.jpgP1060229.jpgP1060231.jpgP1060236.jpgP1060238-c.jpgP1060244.jpgP1060250-c.jpgP1060253.jpgP1060254.jpgP1060256.jpgP1060257.jpgP1060272.jpgP1060276.jpgP1060277.jpgP1060293.jpg

I apologize for the crappy pictures, when you are by yourself you get what you get. Also just to clarify, the two expandables are the ones I dug out, I shoot G5 Montecs.

You've got those elk figured out. Nice work. I love exploring new country and trying new spots. Never know when you're going to find a new go to area.

Great write-up! Some awesome animals.

Don't hold out on us for so long in the future!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back