The Gun Cabinet of Regrets,,,Wish I didn't sell it, or Wish I bought it.

Mustangs Rule

The Gun Cabinet Of Regrets,,,,Wish I didn't sell it or Wish I bought it

Walked into a gun shop one day and they just got this one in.

Model 54 Winchester in 270, original owner, with vintage peep sights. I picked it up,,,,drooled a bit. Had it put back on the rack. Walked around decided to buy it,,,went back to the counter, it was already in another customers hands. He bought it. I do have a 54 in 30-06 but the .270 was first introduced in the 54,,,would have prefered te 270.

Had a 44-40, original Winchester model 92 with saddle ring. I was selling another gun. The fellow asked if I had anything else to sell. I brought out the 44-40,,,gave it a high price, he bought it that second. I knew I was making a mistake but I stated my price and he accepted it.

I paid $75 for a Remington Rand WW2 .45. with original holster. I was in college was dead broke, sold it for $100.

I think I paid $35 for a mint Parkerized Smith and Wesson WW2 Victory model in 38 S and W. I thought it was a 38 Special,,,was just a kid,,,felt disappointed and sold it for the same money.

Was at a gun show. One dealer had an FN Belgium commercial Mauser in 8 x 57, great stock work, narrow shnabel forend, vintage aperture sights. Fit me like a glove. Was a genuine work of art.

It was the end of the day, I made a low ball offer, he upped it just a bit. I balked and did not buy it.

I think the 8x57 is one of the hunting worlds most ignored great calibers.

MR

I sold a S&W model 66 w/the 4" barrel for $300 one Christmas to make sure there was enough cash for presents. Should have asked twice as much for it. I miss that little K frame everyday.

Traded a Glock 23 w/night sights for a H&K USP 40 and regretted it every second I had that H&K. I couldn't miss with that Glock.

Sold a Winchester Model 12 w/ a corn cob on it to buy reloading gear. Another regret.

Only once did I get rid of a gun. Probably 40 years ago I traded in a 303 British on a Remington 700 in 270 cal. No regret

Only one. On my 18th birthday I bought a Marlin .30-30. Later sold it to my brother who kept it a few years and sold it to our youngest brother. I probably should have kept it but little brother shot his first buck with it and I’m happy about that. I’ll replace it one day with a .45-70 which I prefer over .30-30s for a lever gun.

I do regret not purchasing a lovely little British 16 gauge that was cast on and was the proper LOP and the transition Simson O/U 12 gauge that was way undervalued & had the split forearm.

Or the 1970's vintage Marlin 45-70 guide gun, the stack of left-handed ruger M77 MkII's that were $400 each, the S&W M 41 that was only $250.

So many regrets in not buying. Alas, the safe is still full.

I am 73,,,been buying/selling guns since my later teens. At last count I bought about 55, or 56 centerfire rifles. i have 7 now,,,so do the math on number sold.

Same pretty much goes for pistols,,,bought so many had fun with them and then sold them.

Have only kept 3 guns forever,,,that means close to 50 years,,,Model 39 Marlin 22. Model 15 Smith, 38 spl K frame Combat masterpiece and Beligium Browning Safari grade 30-06.

My pre-64 model 70 in .270 and my model 54 Winchester I have only had for about 30 years.

I sold a S&W model 66 w/the 4" barrel for $300 one Christmas to make sure there was enough cash for presents. Should have asked twice as much for it. I miss that little K frame everyday.

Traded a Glock 23 w/night sights for a H&K USP 40 and regretted it every second I had that H&K. I couldn't miss with that Glock.

Sold a Winchester Model 12 w/ a corn cob on it to buy reloading gear. Another regret.

I actually would have gladly paid you twice as much for it. I've been looking for a 4" 66 and they're not behind every tree.

In my younger days I had a custom Mauser in .220 Swift that I sold because I needed the cash. I sold it for a good bit more than I paid for it...but man that gun hit everything I put in the crosshairs! I will have another .220 Swift again mark my words!

Wish I hadn't...A very accurate #1B 25-06...traded for a 300 Wby Mag Fibremark at a gun store in Amarillo. Hated that mule kicking accuracy finicky sunzabish. Traded that 300 for a 257 Wby Mag Accumark...happy again, til I wasn't. Traded it back for the same 300 Wby (coz I was a dumbazz that thought only a 300 would kill an elk)...traded it off for good to Cabelas for a Sako 75 300 WSM that my son now owns.

The only transaction I didn't take it in the shorts was the 257 Accumark..should've kept that one....and still miss that particular Ruger #1.

Firearms are a ride...

we sold an old Lee Enfield that I wish we had kept and restored

we get offers occasionally for the Ross and 250/3000 Savage, but we haven't let them go yet

It is funny how many folks are intrigued with the 275 H & H, but I use that one and it was gifted to me, so it will stay

I should have bought a Savage model 99 in 250-3000 when I was 18 years old. He wanted $200 for it, big regret….
I sold a 250-3000 Savage without regret. It was in great shape but had that fat beavertail forend not the sweet slim shnabbel so many 99's are adored for. It was so fat in my saddle scabbard, just bugged my knee no end. Also, if again, I would get the later 250 Savage. It had the twist for heavier bullets and really upgraded it's ability to kill larger game.

I had a featherweight 99 in 308 cal,,,what a kicker! I sold that with slight regret. The stock was low comb for peep sights and my eyes were getting old then.

All that said it was a fine saddle gun.

I traded a Reminton 541-T sporter barrel for a heavy barrel model. Should have kept the sporter and bought the HB. I had a Remington Model 30 express in my hands at a gun show mulling over the $300 asking price. I demurred as I had no use for it, but it was cool. I changed my mind and went back to get it and it was gone......

Someone once said they could turn a matched set of Purdeys into a Mossberg pump in 6 trades.

I bought a set of Colt factory elephant ivory grips for a SAA, obviously a long time ago. My wife wanted me to get a second set for our other one, but I thought they were too pricey at $125.

Most regretted buy was a first gen Weatherby Vangard in 243 Win. Bought it as Xmas present for my daughter that wanted to go deer hunting with dad. Never could get it to shoot worth a dang!
Was happy to see it go when my daughter traded it in on a bow.

I regret selling my Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Sweet shooting, light weight rifle that not everybody has.
Intended use was a western hunt. But that was looking less & less to happen.
Then wife pipes up one day and says " if you want to hunt out west, do it!"
Why she couldn't say that BEFORE i sold the rifle!!!

Regret not buying was a Noreen in 408 Cheytac.
Expensive to shoot, and don't really have anyplace around here to really stretch it's legs.
But at $1,200 it was a deal!

Most regretted buy was a first gen Weatherby Vangard in 243 Win. Bought it as Xmas present for my daughter that wanted to go deer hunting with dad. Never could get it to shoot worth a dang!
Was happy to see it go when my daughter traded it in on a bow.

I regret selling my Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Sweet shooting, light weight rifle that not everybody has.
Intended use was a western hunt. But that was looking less & less to happen.
Then wife pipes up one day and says " if you want to hunt out west, do it!"
Why she couldn't say that BEFORE i sold the rifle!!!

Regret not buying was a Noreen in 408 Cheytac.
Expensive to shoot, and don't really have anyplace around here to really stretch it's legs.
But at $1,200 it was a deal!
A freind had a Vanguard,,,using all my reloading skills, getting it to shoot under 1 3/4 inches at a 100 yards was really a chore.

I have a rule about keeping good guns and it never hurts my feelings to see a bad one go (not always the case for my wallet tho)
I’ve posted about it here before but still have a Remington 7400 in 270 that’s an expensive single shot. It’s at a local gunsmith right now, I’m getting it back with a clean bill of health and it’s on the trading block while old remingtons are still bringing too much 😂
I also lost my butt on two brownings but wasn’t sad to see either one go. A Hells Canyon speed that would not group with numerous loads and two scopes and one of the new A5’s that patterned high right no matter the choke. I know plenty of people have good experiences with both but I’m probably done with their new stuff

Unfortunately, I've let a number of really good deals slip by.
Ruger Redhawk, 5.5" 44mag on a gun show table years ago for $350. Picked it up, walked away and came to my senses a few minutes later but was too late.
Rem 700 LSS, mint condition in 338RUM. $400 at a local Gander mountain. Couldn't think of a reason to buy it. On the way home I decided I should buy it anyway and went back. Already gone.
Winchester 94 in 375win $325 at wheeling Cabela's. Fondled that for a while and ended up going back the next day and of course it was sold.
Old Savage 110 (I think) in 264mag, left hand at a local gun shop. Sat there for 3 months and I probably looked at it a dozen times. Finally decided to buy it and it was gone.
An acquaintance who doesn't hunt had a like new Weatherby Mk5 left hand in 300 wby with VX3 Leupold scope from a relatives estate that he wanted $600 for. I still don't know why I didn't buy it.
I hang my head in shame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back