The good old ammo days....

For some reason my memory of the Gold Federal box of shells seems like what I was shooting in approximately 1975 at ducks. Well before the steel shot law came into affect.

I remember getting the dove & quail loads for like $2.00 a box back then...duck & pheasant for about a quarter more...long before the designer shot shells for turkey and waterfowl were even a thought.

Ah yes the good old days when ammo was cheap and plentiful firearms regardless of action even the high end stuff was affordable and you still had places to shoot.

I have several brand new boxes of 20ga from 1979. I bought a very nice Winchester that my buddies dad bought in 79. He shot one round of skeet through it back then and it sat in his safe until about 4-5 yrs ago when I bought it. I will look for price tags later today.

About ten years ago I mentioned to a co-work that I had a .300 sav. He had a box of .300 sav. shells but no gun so he gave them to me. The box had a price tag on it that was from a local store that hasn't been around since I was a kid. The price was $4.99. Now the cheapest I have seen are $32.99 What happened?

The good old ammo days for me were when you could buy it period. No luck on my brand of 7mm rem mag ammo ALL YEAR, country wide.
Only shot three times this year, sure glad my gun is still dead on. 30 cartridges left, I wonder how many years they will last?
Funny the tin hat conspiracy guys are not all over this, oh that's right Obama's not the pres anymore.

I remember buying shotgun shells and rifle shells from the family owned sporting goods store in my California Hometown before I was old enough to even drive (80's). Now granted the owners knew me, my parents, and my grandparents.

Then I go off to college in Idaho in the 90's and go to my first big box sporting goods store and get carded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back