Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The frontal shot

If it is a decent shot then why does hunter ed. class teach that it is acceptable only for rifle? Arrow that passes between lungs and throat ain't gonna do much for a while. Chance of blowing through guts which doesn't help the meat. Yes you can get lucky and hit an artery or shoot low and hit the heart but it is not a very good percentage shot. I have never had an elk go too far with a lung pass through and that is my favorite shot. That said no one is with you when you pull so it is a personal choice.

I have never taken a frontal shot, but I have tracked alot of them and recovered a few.
One thing I noticed is, people tend to shoot too high on these shots, so the arrow is going above the lungs into what I call the "void" area. It is void of all major organs until the arrow can get to the liver. Even if it reaches the liver, you have alot of trailing ahead of you.
IMO, you have to shoot low, about the level of the shoulders, to make this shot work. On elk, I never would try it. I stay as far away from the shoulders as possible.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back