MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The French Definition of 'Help'

Ithaca 37

Even more reason to boycott France!

FRENCH HALL OF SHAME
The French Definition of 'Help'

It's official: France is suddenly trying to help the United States in Iraq.

President Jacques Chirac said to NATO leaders in late February that "France wants to contribute to stability" in Iraq. The contribution? Some $660,000 to a NATO fund for military and police training in Iraq and one French mid-level officer who's being assigned to the training mission at NATO headquarters in Brussels. Not 1,000 officers. Not 100. Just one.

It was perfectly legitimate for France to oppose the war (which this editorial page did as well). But it is now time for both sides of this debate to recommit to the transatlantic alliance. Moreover, though European nations disagreed among themselves about the wisdom of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, they all share an interest — arguably a greater interest than even the United States — in promoting peace and stability across the Middle East. It's churlish Gallic pique to begrudge the U.S. anything more than symbolic assistance in rebuilding Iraq into something more than a battleground for terrorists.

Then again, maybe it shouldn't be that surprising that France is sulking. Paris has never been that enthusiastic about the transatlantic alliance, and it has long been an axiom of French policy to undermine NATO at every turn.

Ever since Charles de Gaulle pulled France's military out of NATO in 1966, Paris has cherished the illusion that it is something more than a minor power. But the only thing that De Gaulle accomplished by bolting from NATO was having the alliance's headquarters moved from Paris to Brussels. France's attempt to carve out a distinct foreign policy has been distinguished by little more than rank opportunism. During the Cold War it tried to play the U.S. off against the Soviet Union, and in 1989, French President François Mitterrand even thought he could stop the steamroller of German reunification by traveling to East Germany and exhorting it to remain an independent state. By 1993, France had bowed to the inevitable and returned to NATO's military command.

France, because of its rich culture and storied history, still likes to see itself as the driver of the European Union, alongside a Germany that is still too ashamed (the French keep hoping) to throw its weight around. It aggravates France to see nations like the Netherlands and Poland placing their allegiance with the Americans above any French-defined European solidarity. Who can forget Chirac's haughty outburst in early 2003 when he said pro-American leaders of Eastern Europe had "missed an opportunity to keep quiet."

The Iraqi debate was a gift to Chirac, an opportunity to drive a wedge between Germany and Britain and between Europe and the United States. So it's easy to understand why he and the rest of French officialdom is finding it so hard to move on.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...to12mar12,1,745326.story?coll=la-news-comment

I read an article that enumerated the moneys that France lost when Saddam fell. Moneys owed for weapons, technology, military supplies other than weapons. I believe the figure that was mentioned was somewhere around $670M. Keep in mind that this was all third party exchanges and illicite supplies. Shame on them.

Isn't anyone going to be sympathetic? (Excuse me while I wipe the sarcasm off of my chin!)

:cool:

ELKCHSR said:
The French have turned into pigs.

How so? :rolleyes:

(Any bets on Elkcheese being able to explain his lightweight comment??? :rolleyes: I am guessing he can't.... )

HAHAHA!!! Paul...

(Any bets on Elkcheese being able to explain his lightweight comment??? I am guessing he can't.... )
How about putting more on the bets that he won't because it isn't important enough to warrant an answer, the ensuing fight from you isn’t worth the cyberspace.
You’ll have to find a pissing match some where else. :)
I see you’re putting a lot of thought, intelligence and ideologies into this topic also.... ;)

France is a joke and I don't think anyone can argue. However, whenever I hear someone talking about underhanded dealings I don't think the US has any room to talk. We definitely should not throw rocks in our glass house. Ever wonder where all Marlboro cigarettes came from in Iraq. The embargo evidently didn't apply to them (either that or they were really old cigarettes or maybe Phillip Morris is French?!)

One of my neighbors wanted me to research cheap cigs on the net for him.
What I found was a great black market in a bunch of the third world countries that are putting a huge amount of knock offs on the open market....
It is easy to find with a little wading.
Cheap Cigarettes or Discount Cigarettes is a good place to start to find this information out for yourself... :)

Elkchsr- Are trying to say the US hasn't been involved in underhanded dealings?

Elkcheese,

You are cracking us up with your inability to read a topic and post an intelligent reply.

You made some lightweight comment about pigs, and when asked to provide education to the rest of us, you failed miserably. And then you start rambling on about looking for Cigarettes for your neighbor.

Is there any topic you can actually understand and contribute to, or do you just not have a clue about topics with multi-syllable words? :rolleyes:

Economic Sanctions do not work period. If there is a demand for a product then there will be a way to get around the sanction. The cigerettes most likely were smuggled into Iraq from it's neighbors who then smuggled out oil to pay for the items.

The French did not support our invasion of Iraq for several reasons, A. They do not want the U.S. to act Unitlaterally ever. It shows how little teeth the U.N actually has.

B. Iraq was a huge trading partner with France. Saddam's Oil for Palaces program benefit France and enriched numerous French Poltitians.

C. France has major fantasy that they are still a major world power and that what they say matters.

Nemont

Nemont- I don't disagree but the US was and is involved in a lot of "dealings". I can think of one right off (Iran Contra) that we got our hands literally caught in the cookie jar. We also have had dealings with Al quaida in the past...etc, etc.,etc. To be honest, I would rather not know all the stuff we are involved in, it would probably scare the hell out me. My point is: We can't really complain about any other nation until we no longer do the sh** we are complaining about.

Matt.
I don't think there is a country large or small in the history of man that hasn't at one time or another tried to change the course of their future by interfering in another countries affairs.

I would ask this, would you rather sit and watch the world go by hiding behind large walls surrounding our country and shutting out the rest of the world?
This country almost since its inception has been playing in others affairs, not unlike any other country that is out there.

Actually it isn't much different than a few in this area, interfering with others affairs just to get their own simple minded giggle with no end goal in mind.

Elkcheese said, "This country almost since its inception has been playing in others affairs, not unlike any other country that is out there."

Since when has "well, everyone else is doing the same thing" become THE excuse for immoral, unethical, and illegal activities???

So, Elkcheese, let me get this right...you think Iran Contra was just the U.S. doing what every other country does???? Thats how you excuse that mess?

You cant be serious, nobody could possibly be that stupid.

So when was it that I have helped with any of this?
Come on Buzz, you need to come up with more than that....
Won't call Rush on his bad deeds, won't become president....
What is this world coming to... Oh yea... It is going to hell in a hand basket so lets just kick any thing that is close. I would hate to be your dog when you were having a bad day...
Which it seems is most of them... :)
I really feel sorry for you to go thru life in such despair and gloom, I am thankful to the Creator for not requiring me to live in such a state. Must be rough…. Poor Buzz… :(
Life’s just way to short. :)

ELKCHSR said:
This country almost since its inception has been playing in others affairs, not unlike any other country that is out there.

Hey Cheese,

Let's jus see if you can back up that one single statement. I'm guessing you can't, but I am willing to be proven wrong. Please inform us of the foreign affairs this country was involved in from 1776 to 1876 (roughly the first 100 years).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back