Caribou Gear

The first time I met my father in law

I work with a kid that was just telling me yesterday that he is getting married the 2nd week of November. Yeah that's during the rut. I tried to explain to him the error of his ways. He just laughed and explained to me that was a battle that he would never win.
I'm best man In my cousins wedding this year 2nd weekend in November and it's out of town. I'd like to strangle him and he knows it, I think she planned it that way.

Helluva first meeting @Gellar. That’s pretty cool. Wish I had a father in law story to tell. I’ve never met the man. Neither has my wife, for that matter.

I did have a good friend in high school though who’s dad NEVER wore anything but tighty whities around the house. He was at least 350 lbs too. First time seeing it I was wide-eyed and and mouthing expletives to the other guys that were there, then we all got used to it—his house, his rules.

Helluva first meeting @Gellar. That’s pretty cool. Wish I had a father in law story to tell. I’ve never met the man. Neither has my wife, for that matter.

I did have a good friend in high school though who’s dad NEVER wore anything but tighty whities around the house. He was at least 350 lbs too. First time seeing it I was wide-eyed and and mouthing expletives to the other guys that were there, then we all got used to it—his house, his rules.
I just about spit my water out! My fil doesn’t care, he drops his pants, bibs, whatever at the door when he enters the house. At his oldest daughters first wedding him and I may have gotten a little drunk and we were getting ready to go back to the motel rooms. He said he had to go to the bathroom and comes back out in his tshirt, whitey tighties and dress socks. The next morning my wife was gathering up our tuxes and wondered why their was an extra one in our room. So I had to tell her about her dad walking back to his room and I had gathered up his tux.

It's a game of chess to be able to time weddings and the birth of a child for the right times of the year.....

It's almost a miracle if it works out properly.

I'll never understand why people think it's a good idea to get married in the fall from September to December...

Great thread BTW thanks @Gellar !
We were lucky for the most part. Married July 27, daughter was born August 3 and son was born January 28. It was over 100 the day my daughter was born and -32 the day my son was born.

I met my wife in college, she had a massive crush on me, borderline creepy, but to me she was just that hot chick from Geography and English class. We finally met outside of school at a bar and that's where it all began (Low by Flo Rida echoes in the background). The hot chick from school turned out to be a pretty cool chick too!

I can't remember exactly when I met her parents or how far into the relationship, but it went pretty well. Her dad is one of the best eastern whitetail hunter that I know and has the same hunting obsession that I have. We bonded over hunting stories and I think the fact that I had a job and was in school helped also. We still share hunting stories, that was 14 years ago and I've become a much better hunter than I was back then. I'm still amazed at the nice eastern whitetails this man pulls out of the bush. He still talks to me like I'm that 18yo hunting newbie but that's alright, he quietly admires my trophies when he comes by the house...

My wife and I were apart of the same student organization while in college at Texas A&M, and I met my future in-laws before we were dating but were good friends. A group of us were headed to work an out of town fundraiser for our org, and were passing close by her parents' house. They wanted to have us over for dinner while passing through. The back story is that I was going on the fundraiser trip right after a 2 day country music festival called Chilifest which involved quite a bit of drinking. The festival ended around noon, and I got a ride home, showered, packed and jumped in the car and promptly passed out. I wake up as we're pulling in to her parents drive, and I realize that I'm still pretty drunk. I admitted this few years ago to my in-laws, and they had no idea. Fortunately they are great folks, and easy to get along with. However, my father in-law is not into the outdoors at all, but I've gotten my mother in-law to tag along on a few easy bird hunts. She's a real gem, and is easily the most adventurous out of the family. We started dating a few months after I met her parents, and still going strong 10 years and two kids later.

I've had one good one and one bad one..the longtime gone ex took the good one in the settlement.

Had to drive 3 hours to meet them for the first time. Not comfortable having to stay there at their tiny home the first time I met them but it turned out good. FIL said he will take me for an ATV ride. Grabbed a couple quads and beers and it turned into a 3 hour ride looking at little lakes way back in the woods as he told me about how he and his bros used to camp out there and fish for days. I ended up buying my own quad and spent a lot of time up there riding and fishing for a few years until I got my own place in the different part of the state. Good guy

I met my wife in college, she had a massive crush on me, borderline creepy, but to me she was just that hot chick from Geography and English class. We finally met outside of school at a bar and that's where it all began (Low by Flo Rida echoes in the background). The hot chick from school turned out to be a pretty cool chick too!

I can't remember exactly when I met her parents or how far into the relationship, but it went pretty well. Her dad is one of the best eastern whitetail hunter that I know and has the same hunting obsession that I have. We bonded over hunting stories and I think the fact that I had a job and was in school helped also. We still share hunting stories, that was 14 years ago and I've become a much better hunter than I was back then. I'm still amazed at the nice eastern whitetails this man pulls out of the bush. He still talks to me like I'm that 18yo hunting newbie but that's alright, he quietly admires my trophies when he comes by the house...
That song was popular my first semester of college. Sometimes I will start singing it really loud around the house but I have to catch myself now because of young ears.

Had to drive 3 hours to meet them for the first time. Not comfortable having to stay there at their tiny home the first time I met them but it turned out good. FIL said he will take me for an ATV ride. Grabbed a couple quads and beers and it turned into a 3 hour ride looking at little lakes way back in the woods as he told me about how he and his bros used to camp out there and fish for days. I ended up buying my own quad and spent a lot of time up there riding and fishing for a few years until I got my own place in the different part of the state. Good guy
Looking back on the first time I went atving with my father in law I realized he was putting me to the test. I’ve never asked him about it but both of his sons are “directionally challenged” and now I think he was testing me to see about my wits. It was early spring probably about this time of year. We had had a few drinks, my wife and her mom had already went to bed. We were talking about places he used to deer hunt as a kid and their group they hunted with. This led to getting on the atvs and going for a ride. We rode for what seemed like an hour through the timber. We crossed a highway and went down a really big, steep hill. All of a sudden we popped out in a corn stubble field and there was a river that was high from the spring melt around the perimeter of the field. He led us to a crossing and we crossed, having to stand on the seat to not get the feet wet. On the other side of the river was a trail wide enough for a tractor or combine but was dirt. It went about 75 yards and opened into another field. When we got to the edge he stopped and never said a word, but pulled a beer out of his coat pocket and handed me one too. We drank our beers and never said a word. When we finished the beers before he started his atv back up he says “I’m not sure if I remember how we got down here, do you?” I say I think so and fire my atv up and cross the swollen river and climb the hill back to the top and through the woods,across the highway and through the woods again back to his house. When we got inside He went straight to bed (it had to have been 2am or later) and never mentioned that atv ride again.
now 20 years later I know exactly where we rode to and know that my father in law knows exactly where he was too.

Looking back on the first time I went atving with my father in law I realized he was putting me to the test. I’ve never asked him about it but both of his sons are “directionally challenged” and now I think he was testing me to see about my wits. It was early spring probably about this time of year. We had had a few drinks, my wife and her mom had already went to bed. We were talking about places he used to deer hunt as a kid and their group they hunted with. This led to getting on the atvs and going for a ride. We rode for what seemed like an hour through the timber. We crossed a highway and went down a really big, steep hill. All of a sudden we popped out in a corn stubble field and there was a river that was high from the spring melt around the perimeter of the field. He led us to a crossing and we crossed, having to stand on the seat to not get the feet wet. On the other side of the river was a trail wide enough for a tractor or combine but was dirt. It went about 75 yards and opened into another field. When we got to the edge he stopped and never said a word, but pulled a beer out of his coat pocket and handed me one too. We drank our beers and never said a word. When we finished the beers before he started his atv back up he says “I’m not sure if I remember how we got down here, do you?” I say I think so and fire my atv up and cross the swollen river and climb the hill back to the top and through the woods,across the highway and through the woods again back to his house. When we got inside He went straight to bed (it had to have been 2am or later) and never mentioned that atv ride again.
now 20 years later I know exactly where we rode to and know that my father in law knows exactly where he was too.
Funny how that works. My FIL to be was kind of doing the same, since his son was a train wreck sitting in prison. After my third visit my wife to be and her mom left someplace for the weekend and I was alone with the FIL. We were grilling some dinner and he handed me a beer that I normally wouldn't drink and said "If you're gonna marry my daughter you better get better taste in beer" I guess I knew then I passed the test. Damn, that was more than 30 years ago

It's a game of chess to be able to time weddings and the birth of a child for the right times of the year.....

It's almost a miracle if it works out properly.

I'll never understand why people think it's a good idea to get married in the fall from September to December...

Great thread BTW thanks @Gellar !
My anniversary is June 2. My oldest born June 11. My youngest born June 28. NONE of it by accident...

Now if I could just get my wife to switch me birthdays. Mine's in July and hers in October...

Well...you must of survived?
Yep, that just one of the ways I tell folks. He is a good guy, he was actually my squad leader in the military. He told me that I need to take his daughter out. I drug my feet as I was dating someone at the time. He kept pestering me and after about 6 months I finally did. He was so happy when I showed up to get her that he stole me away to tell me about this gun raffle he had entered. He was trying just a little too hard that night as he didn’t know anything about what guns were actually in it. My now MIL asked me if I was gonna give her grand babies. Mind you this is before I’ve even left the house for our first date. That was 14 years and two grand babies ago. He was right, he had one heck of a daughter. I definitely married above my bracket.

Back