the fire breathing dragon has spoketh

belshawelk

Well finally I got my true lightweight mountain gun. I wasn't planning on it quite yet but it proves there are still smoking good deals out there if you look and wait. This one from GB. Then of course the scope from @schmalts.

My problem has always been I do not like generic or common items. I try to always have a little something less popular. It makes me pay more but its just me.

Then add my lust for fast cartridges that carry a crap load of energy.

Weatherby Mark V Backcountry 2.0 Ti. 6.5-300 with VX5HD 3-15 x44. She weights nothing. Off to the range tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
What bullet will you be shooting? Interested in your thoughts on the peak 44 stock also.
Nice rifle!

What bullet will you be shooting? Interested in your thoughts on the peak 44 stock also.
Nice rifle!
I am going to shoot the 127gr LRX by Pendelton Ammo as of now. I was really planning on buying a .257 Weatherby laserbeamer but this came along. I am sure the 140 Accubond and others are great too but I have had really good luck with the LRX. Shoots less than 1/2 groups in my Nosler 30 with 200grain and it absolutely smashes elk. They put a new kinda dead on the 3 I have shot with it.

Maybe I should go heavier bullet but listening and reading about Adam Weatherby and his wife using it on elk convinced me. Its not going to be my elk gun but more of a deer, goat, Pronghorn but I will use it on any combo hunts I have with cow elk. I will use it this year on my cow hunt this year to give her go.

I’ve been lusting after one of those rifles in various calibers for a while now. Someday.

Love my 6.5-300. It's not a play at the range all day gun, but shoots great. Mine gets 1/2 MOA or slightly more with 140 Accubonds and 127 LRX's. Turned the heart and lungs of my muley last year to jelly shooting LRX's.
It's the first smokeless cartridge I've ever shot that isn't smokeless and it's a barrel burner for sure, but boy is it fun to shoot. Give it plenty of time to cool down between groups. I actually bring a box fan along to the range to cool the barrel, she will get HOT after 3 shots.

range report.

Having trouble typing with my shoulder hurting after 2 boxes. Kidding.....

I ran two boxes though her to break her in. First box firing 1 round then cleaning and waiting 15 minutes for barrel to completely cool. 2nd box I shot 2 rounds at a time with cleaning in between and cooling. After all that I shot a few 3 round shots, not fast, but consecutive

- recoil is fair, probably stiff for some ( 6lb gun and scope combo will do that). Probably equal to my .28 Nosler.
-stock is very comfortable and recoil pad is awesome. I can for sure tell it soaked up some recoil
- action smooth with Weatherbys massive bolt
- trigger was awesome. Best factory trigger I have ever shot
- also the Leupold VX5HD scope was incredible. First one I have had. Worth the few extra $$ over the VX3, which I have a few of and like.

results:

- I only had 127 GR LRX so I did not test with other rounds.
-3/4-1" groups consistently with a couple under 3/4. These are 2 round groups
- the 2 three round groups, first 2 shots 3/4: with third about 1/2 off that. I am sure this it due to barrel getting warm and it gets hot!
- she like to shoot clean. First shot at 200 yards was dead on ( at 3" high for a 300 yard zero) second shot ( also warmer barrel) was 3/4" in same spot every time. My buddy bought one and his better dirty

Maybe with 140 accubonds or something else I could get tighter groups but 3/4 is plenty good for me at 200 yards, or a more skilled marksman could do better. I shot 3 rounds at 300 yards at a 3" steel plate and hit it every time, for me that's a dead whatever every time.

Love the gun and feel and especially the weight. Perfect for what i wanted it for. A ultralight backpack mountain gun.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back