Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The dumbest study ever

“I think that they have evolved to be wary all of the time,” he said. “And it’s not too far fetched to think that they can associate, ‘oh look, there’s a thousand trucks coming onto the mountain today, there’s maybe a hunting season open tomorrow,’ after they’ve lived through it for a few years.”

So, animals have "evolved" at self-preservation? Hmfpt... who-da-thunk-it! I bet if they'd read that real slow, 3 or 4 times, maybe this doesn't even make print! :LOL:

Yeah why would anyone want exact locations and evidence of how elk use the landscape - we should just guess. Saves a lot of money. Plus there's no scary bayesian analysis that way

There was a great study in 2008 from Ken Hamlin & Craig Jourdonnais who found something similar. I'll try and find it tomorrow. IIRC, there was a cow elk that was never really available for hunters, as she skirted open seasons, etc. It was pretty fascinating.
I remember the Craig days. Better than the Vore days. Craig still at MPG? mtmuley

Last edited:
Vast majority of readers won't know anything about it, not everyone knows as much about elk as hunters do. What seems elementary to us is news to the nonhunting public

Guys assume this is sarcasm.

This is ground breaking stuff. I know as a public land hunter, I always assumed elk left private to come to public, as rifles were banging away😳

In fairness, it was a BYU study, so its not like a real college👍

There was a great study in 2008 from Ken Hamlin & Craig Jourdonnais who found something similar. I'll try and find it tomorrow. IIRC, there was a cow elk that was never really available for hunters, as she skirted open seasons, etc. It was pretty fascinating.
Yep. The upper Madison Valley.

As a NR from Virginia, the research out there really helps me make a plan for a week out in the West. It helps me cut through the old wives' tales of how/when elk migrate and select resources. We're used to sitting in a tree after weeks/months of researching an area while all you guys are great at knowing elk behavior and how it changes day-to-day throughout migration. Data-driven results help give us a touch of confidence on where the elk might be given certain conditions while most forum posts are contradictory haha.

Edited to you guys know I'm not grouping western states with the Dakotas :)

Last edited:
As a NR from Virginia, the research out there really helps me make a plan for a week out in the Midwest. It helps me cut through the old wives' tales of how/when elk migrate and select resources. We're used to sitting in a tree after weeks/months of researching an area while all you guys are great at knowing elk behavior and how it changes day-to-day throughout migration. Data-driven results help give us a touch of confidence on where the elk might be given certain conditions while most forum posts are contradictory haha

you keep saying midwest in your posts...

princess-bride-i-do-not-think.gif

Lol fair enough! Guess I never considered a state as "Western" unless it touched the ocean. Guess I'll have to check my vocabulary haha

i've always thought it was odd too.

but when you put it in perspective that the "west" was always talked about from the perspective of settlers on the east coast it makes sense.

i've always thought it was odd too.

but when you put it in perspective that the "west" was always talked about from the perspective of settlers on the east coast it makes sense.
That's how we wound up with a school in Illinois called Northwestern University

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back