The chase was on…

Phaseolus

I just chased the nasty cat food eating, boxtrap destroying raccoon across the backyard, in my socks, in a snowstorm, and in the dark. I emptied my ruger standard at him, think I hit him a couple of times. Big bastard has been stealing cat food for a long time, he tore the door off my boxtrap when I managed to trap him. This time I surprised him by coming out of the bedroom door which forced him to run towards the field. The other times he ran alongside the house when I came out of the living room door where I couldn’t shoot at him.C17B8C93-71A7-4DC6-AE01-03A63BF6AD1B.png

Last edited:
I just chased the nasty cat food eating, boxtrap destroying raccoon across the backyard, in my socks, in a snowstorm, and in the dark. I emptied my ruger standard at him, think I hit him a couple of times. Big bastard has been stealing cat food for a long time, he tore the door off my boxtrap when I managed to trap him. This time I surprised him by coming out of the bedroom door which forced him to run towards the field. The other times he ran alongside the house when I came out of the living room door where I couldn’t shoot at him.View attachment 213213
Please tell me you have security cameras that caught this

Man that brings back memories….

I remember my dad trying that trick with a raccoon that was getting into the trash cans when I was a kid. I was little, but I remember him in slippers, short robe and tightly whiteys, backpedaling towards the deck and rapid firing that Ruger for all he was worth as that SOB came after him at a dead run, snarling like some crazed beast. Dad made it to the deck, the raccoon veered off for the brush and we found it dead in there the next morning. It was full of holes. After investigating the bullet-riddled carcass, Dad proclaimed solemnly that this was a valuable lesson for us kids, and to always remember a .22 was not ideal for raccoons. 🤣

I did a similar thing...but I was just going to shoot him with my .22 through the screen door. Lesson #1 make sure you open the sliding glass first! Lesson #2 make sure everyone in the house knows what you are planning to do!
That's awesome, did you hit him though?

Oh man! Hope it learned! And at least confronting it was your choice.

When I was in duluth, mn, my apartment door was one of those that was always locked when going to the exterior of the building. Right when I stepped through and looked down the 3 concrete steps, there was a skunk sitting about 5 yards away. Between the time of understanding it was a skunk and the time I tried to go inside, the door slammed shut, pinning me looking at the skunk square in the eyes. I didn't want to turn my back on the skunk. Slowly the skunk turned around..... and just walked away. Most frightening moment of my life.

Man that brings back memories….

I remember my dad trying that trick with a raccoon that was getting into the trash cans when I was a kid. I was little, but I remember him in slippers, short robe and tightly whiteys, backpedaling towards the deck and rapid firing that Ruger for all he was worth as that SOB came after him at a dead run, snarling like some crazed beast. Dad made it to the deck, the raccoon veered off for the brush and we found it dead in there the next morning. It was full of holes. After investigating the bullet-riddled carcass, Dad proclaimed solemnly that this was a valuable lesson for us kids, and to always remember a .22 was not ideal for raccoons. 🤣
Now you're bringing back my memories, but rather than raccoons, it was porcupines for us. They would get under our cabin and chew on the sub-floor. My dad was not a gun owner and so I would wake from a deep sleep, peer out the window and in the moonlight, see my dad (tighty whiteys if we were lucky) yelling obscenities, chasing some poor porcupine up a tree with an axe in hand, or hacking it to death if they were unlucky enough to scoot out from under the cabin on his side. Eventually, he would get my brother and I to go after them with our bows and I will never forget the time I had to crawl under there after one big fella who my brother had wounded...

Pro tip: dad eventually discovered that it was much easier to just put a salt lick out near the cabin. Problem solved.

I did a similar thing...but I was just going to shoot him with my .22 through the screen door. Lesson #1 make sure you open the sliding glass first! Lesson #2 make sure everyone in the house knows what you are planning to do!
Buck fever. Nothing to be ashamed of. Happens to the best of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back