The Big Hole Lake Superior

huronmtns

A friend, his son, and I went out for a mornings fishing adventure on Lake Superior. We had a very fun morning. We landed 9 of these. Also missed the hits or lost the fish on the way to the boat for another dozen. All this happened in three hours. A busy morning running the rods! One good morning on such a big body of public water. They were very good eating as well. IMG_20190615_121236280_HDR.jpgIMG_20190615_130937060_HDR.jpg

Are those redfins? The lakers we catch in Canada are among my favorite fish to eat. I’ll take them over walleye every day of the week. I got a trout on Lake Michigan last year and I couldn’t even eat it. It ended up in the trash. I’ve never eaten one out of Superior but always wondered how they were.

I got a trout on Lake Michigan last year and I couldn’t even eat it. It ended up in the trash.

Next time you venture out on Lake Michigan and have this issue just PM me and I will take them all. No need to put good fish in the trash.

Yes. these were red fins. You have to watch out for the "fats" what we call them. The fins on the fats have very little color and the snouts on the fish are more broad or flat looking like the swam head on into a wall and caved in their snout. These "fats" are disgusting to try and eat. I have seen the fats with white color meat and yellowish color meat. The redfins have an orange color meat.

Last edited:
Next time you venture out on Lake Michigan and have this issue just PM me and I will take them all. No need to put good fish in the trash.

No need to. I won’t be keeping anymore lakers on Michigan. That one was enough. I’ll muscle my way through pretty much any meal put in front of me. I couldn’t do that trout, though, as hard as I tried.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back