Thanksgiving

duckhunt

I did this thread last year and got some great responses so im doing it again. Is anybody eating anything wild for thanksgiving dinner? Im going to do a smoked backstrap (my favorite) and a squirrel stew.

Thanks for reminding me.. I'm making an elk pot-roast for Thanksgiving dinner at my wife's family... which is tomorrow! Time to make a run to the store..

Maybe a pronghorn roast. That's all that's in the freezer so far from this year.

We went from feeding 8 to feeding 3 due to other obligations in the family, so it's a light Thanksgiving this year, though we have much to be thankful for.

Brother in law providing Axis link sausages to add to the spread. Probably do some Elk sirloin/jalapeno/bacon poppers on the grill.

No wild game at my place. My folks are coming and mom refuses to eat game so I'm deep frying a turkey with standard Thanksgiving sides (green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes & gravy)

No game for me, but no turkey either. May seem like sacrilege but our family is roasting a Ham (Most my family, myself included, are seriously sick of the Thanksgiving Turkey).

I cojld care less about the turkey, ham, the sweets...the gravy and dressing is all I really need.

...and the recliner.

We are having like 13 people over for dinner on Friday from my wife's family. I'm doing a turkey in the oven and one in the smoker. Most of them want to try wild game, so I'm going to grill some antelope backstrap to add to the table.

Cooking for anywhere from 15-18 so I will do a traditional turkey (fresh and local) with all the fixings. Thinking of also throwing something from the freezer on the smoker (duck or maybe salmon).

I'll fire off a few grilled venison apps wrapped in bacon which are always a hot item.
Those jalapeno poppers someone mentioned could end up on the menu which may also allow me to create a safe zone so i can watch the football game in peace

I am smoking a couple turkey breasts. It was very difficult but I saved two breasts from this spring just for Thanksgiving! Pretty simple recipe, I am going to brine them, and smoke them with Apple chips and brush honey on them every 45 minutes. The apple wood and turkey are all from 1/4 mile of our house. The honey is about a mile!

One box Mrs. Culberson’s stuffing mix
¾ cup soy sauce
2 tblspn dry mustard
¼ oz. shreaded ginger
1 large red onion
4 oz. Sesame Seeds
1 ½ tspn minced garlic
1 can chicken broth
½ to 1 tbspn Wasabi Horseradish (to taste)
One head of chopped broccoli
¼ pound bacon chopped and cooked crisp

For each additional box of stuffing mix, increase the recipe by 1/2 except the sesame seeds. those will double.

Mix the stuffing mix as usual.
Add mustard, ginger, soy sauce, garlic and onion
Simmer until the onion is tender
Add bacon and broccoli
Simmer for 10 minutes
Add Wasabi and sesame seeds and mix thoroughly
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stuff the bird as usual and cook.
I prefer to use this on smaller birds that don’t cook so long. I’ve used this recipe for quail, game hens, chicken, turkey and they all come out tasting great.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back