Thanks for the sheep, eh.

wyoming556

Banned
I'm in Harrison, Ne this morning waiting for 40 bighorns from Alberta to show up. They spent the night in lusk Wy and will be released this morning. I'm pretty excited to see this for the first time. I'll post pics later.

One interesting note is they said the sheep were given for free. 5 rams and 35 ewes. Thanks Alberta!

Hard to believe NE has suitable habitat but cool nonetheless.

You would actually be surprised by the western 1/3 of the state. It's got 5 herds of sheep with 300+ animals as well as huntable populations of antelope and elk along with pretty high deer #'s.

One weird thing about this transplant was the fact that it was done on private land that is not close to any public hunting. Mixed emotions on that one.

Seems like Nebraska is really working to get a huntable population of sheep. 2 tags last year but none this year due to disease loss. The auction tag sold for over 100k so I'd guess some of that money paid for the costs of this transplant.

Ill get the pics up eventually. In the middle of moving and am limited with my phone instead of computer.

The 35 ewes and five rams were trapped on a reclaimed portion of a coal mine at the foot of the Canadian Rockies west of Edmonton, Alberta on Feb. 7.

Cadomin? Wow, we know what those are cabable of growing.

Where do they get off transplanting this Canadian, non native, sheep. Aren't they bigger than our traditionally native sheep. Scoring hundreds of inches over the Boone min. I hear they have tape worms too. It's going to take someone getting ramed to death by one before anything gets done.

Bummer the lottery drawing is still only open to residents...maybe they'll have a "Come home to hunt" program for former residents. We saw quite a few over at Fort Robinson back when I was in school @ CSC.

Where do they get off transplanting this Canadian, non native, sheep. Aren't they bigger than our traditionally native sheep. Scoring hundreds of inches over the Boone min. I hear they have tape worms too. It's going to take someone getting ramed to death by one before anything gets done.

:D:D:D:D

First Breaks sheep and now Cadomin sheep. Potential is there.

Here are a couple of pics from the release that Wyo 556 went to.

Attachments

• 091[1].jpg
    091[1].jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 733
  • 094[1].jpg
    094[1].jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 767
A few more.

Attachments

• 2012-02-09_015[1].jpg
    2012-02-09_015[1].jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 723
  • 2012-02-09_023[1].jpg
    2012-02-09_023[1].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 666
  • 2012-02-09_035[1].jpg
    2012-02-09_035[1].jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 808
That's really cool. I like to see things like that. I wish my home state would get some antelope going in the flinthills. Really neat deal on the sheep. A guys kids might get to draw a tag for those one day. That would be awesome

Well congrats I guess:( I guess overall it helps you out there but being from Alberta where we have our own problems in certain areas of the province in the sheep herds I would have liked to see them stay here.
Hope it works out for you guys there. You have some of the best gene pool around. Surprised they went ahead with this as we lost a pile of sheep the last 2 winters due to hard winters. Tons of the big old rams died off.

awesome, they did some here in nevada a little bit back. I believe they were Deserts though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back