Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Texas Whitetails

BbarC

Everyone seems to think every thing in texas is high fenced. And all the hunting is behind these fences. Not so!
Last year my neighbor, less than two mile from me killed is 16 point buck that scored 182 3/8 B&C.There was a 14 pt with double drops that was with him and is still there today. Also last year 15 miles North of my place they took a 197 B& C. Couple weeks ago, a local guide had a hunter that took a 216 B&C buck on one of the huge ranches south of here and they claim there's a better one there. This week about 10 miles SSE of my place they took a 21 point buck that grossed 201+B&C. NO HIGH FENCES where any of these bucks were taken , just good genetics in the wild around here.If our bucks only had the body size to go with these racks.
Good hunting and happy holidays to all!!
Ol Bob

Hi there Bob, hope you are doing well, LTNS

Sounds like you guys are knocking them dead over there.

Delw

I lived in TX for awhile, didn't appreciate all the money it cost to lease a place for marginal deer hunting. glad I'm a yankee again!

100 gallons gas $200.00
box of shells $40.00
luckily, a taxidermy bill this year, $400
dried up mini-mart lunchs for a week, $50

no trophy fee
no access fee
no fence of course
no hot weather
no deer feeders

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If heaven has hunt'n like da south does,....I just as soon stay home".....Hank JR.

WestND,
I know where you are coming from, I lived in Texas for 33 years and the only reason I got to hunt deer was my in laws ranch. If not for that I could have never afforded a decent hunt. I live in Oregon now and I love being able to hunt almost anywhere I want. The only thing that bothers me is the amount of other hunters I run into. I have gotten that figured out by getting back into the wilderness area and away from the roads. Seems most everyone wants to just drive the roads or hunt within a 1/2 mile of a road.

BbarC,
We never had high fences on our place either, but some around us did. Our ranch is near Cisco and we had some pretty decent genes in the area. Best I ever shot there was 11 points and field dressed at around 180lbs., peanut fed venison!

Then there was the time that the yankee hunters on the next property were driving around on their atv's chasing the rancher's Emu. We asked what they were doing and were quickly asked "Haven't you rednecks ever seen a Wild Turkey before?" I then replied "Nope, but there they go!" and the yankee's were on the chase again!

ND, sorry you didnt appreciate what you had!! 180 --200B&C deer marginal???????????
$49 license = 5 deer, 4 turkeys, unlimited quail and dove, Auodad, etc
Make a friend-- no lease or hunting fees!!
No Blm bs to mess with
Great lakes and rivers to fish
Perfect weather !!
Good people!!!
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBARC., Its all in what your used to I guess. Have a good rest of the hunting season!

Lived in Texas for 19yrs and seen just plain out dirty monsters taken from public land and i myself have missed huge deer on public land...also hunted 1300 acreas of private land there was a fence but it was barbed wire no high fence all fair chase i have never shot a deer over corn or out of a deer stand all the deer i have shot is spot and stalk or just posting up under a tree...its alot more fun that way and some say even harder but i say its natural find where they are moving and sit there and wait. Texas deer are alot easier than these UDAHO deer.

BbarC-

I have never hunted Texas... I was invited to a trip next month but will not be able to make it , I have a Whitetail hunt thats going to be filmed next weekend here in Wisconsin, What is a Non-Res tag for a whitetail cost... I'm very interested in hunting Teaxs soon...
JoeRAC :cool:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back