MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Texas Question ......................

snite66

I have heard that expandable broadheads are outlawed in Texas, is this also true for the ranches?

I was wondering because that is what I have been shooting for the last two years. I will need to build a new setup if I have to shoot fixed blades.

They are legal all over the state for hunting anything. The only thing to stop it would be lack of landowner permission. We have landowner permission for any weapon we want. Some landowners don't like archery hunting on their land, maybe that's why you heard that. Here's what the 2001-2002 Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) Outdoor Annual Hunting and Fishing Regulations say on page 67 (its at the web page for TPWD)

"A mechanical broadhead must begin to open upon impact and when open must be a minimum of 7/8-inch in width." above that is says "... broadhead hunting point that is at least 7/8-inch width (upon impact) and has a minimum of 2 cutting edges."

They are legal for game animals and game birds if they meet those specifications, at least 2 blades and opens to at least 7/8 inches. Exotics and hogs are not even considered game animals, so the restrictions for them are less, i.e. landowner permission. We have landowner permission for any legal weapon we want to use on the ram hunt. Turkeys are considered a game bird if you hunt them at the Brushy Hill place on Monday and Tuesday then the broadheads have to meet those restrictions. We only have permission for archery equiptment at the Brushy Hill. I've never seen any broadhead that would not be legal here.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-15-2002 19:00: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

I shoot spitfires that open 1.75 inches so they are leagal. Thanks Tom for clearing that up. I guess that just goes to show you shouldn't believe all you hear huh.

Thanks again,

Steve, I don't think the Pete Denney allows mechanicals at Brushy Hill. That's what Garry told me. I'll call Pete and check with him on Monday to make sure.... :cool:

Dan you might be the one I heard that from(on chat), I couldn't remember where, but that is me :confused: always confused :D .
When I get my setup finished I will put on some muzzy's and see how they fly. I put on a whisker biscut rest, anew tritrium(sp) sight and a new donniker stabilizer today. I had to get new arrows since I did away with the overdraw, and they didn't have any shafts in the size I needed so I will have to wait until tomarrow to see how it shoots.

The way it looks I more than likely won't be able to hunt brushy hill anyway.( I don't think I can get that much time off from work, and my dad doesn't shoot archery anyway) Thanks for the info Dan. :D

Steve, Not a problem. Glad to help. I would be very interested in hearing about how the whisker bisquit works for you. I have been looking at them. As big a klutz as I am, I constantly knock arrows off. That would be perfect for me if it doesn't cause other problems. Let me know.

thanks

I think Danr55 is right, Brushy Hill doesn't want the mechanicals used. At the ram ranch they are fine though. They are legal in the state as long as we have landowner permission for the hunt, so we would need Pete D's permission.

I am looking at getting some new broadheads called grizzlies. They are built on the basis of the spitfire but they have three small fixed cutter blades in front of the opening blades. The expandable blades can also be locked in the open position therefore making it a fixed blade broadhead, ending the problem of not having a fixed blade if they are required.
I plan on taking these to Texas if my local shop can get them by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back