Caribou Gear Tarp

Tents tents and more tents.

Scott85

I currently have a SO DST and a Cimarron without a nest and I currently in the market for another tent. I want a regular floor tent for the early season and for summer trips with the dog and wife. Currently looking at a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 or Copper Spur UL3. Looking for recommendations for any other suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Are you going to be packing it or car camping with the wife?

If packing it, pretty much any tent under say 6 pounds would be ok. You can split it between the two of you. You won’t have a ton of other weight like a late fall hunt. The BA would be fine. I use a two man Eureka Mountain Pass for canoe camping and I’m happy with it at under 6#. My last one lasted over 20 years and my kids can still use it and stay dry; nothing wrong with it, just getting old.

I own an older design Marmot Limelight 3 person that has been very nice for my wife, dog and I. The price point is good and the tent is well made. Plenty of tents of this price point and size to choose from. Do your diligence via forums, youtube and other places then pull the trigger.

I've been researching the hell out of tents myself for the last month. Hours of reading reviews.

I spent 2 hours at REI setting up a bunch of tents in the show room on Wednesday (very kind of them to say yes when I asked). Including both models you mentioned in the 2 man versions.

I ended up ordering a Copper Spur HV UL1, however the 2 man and 3 man versions of this tent have a TON of room and good sized vestibules. I also set up the competing Nemo (Dagger & hornet series) and competing REI tents. The difference in quality was very evident with Big Agnes, over the others. MSR is even using velcro instead of zippers for some of their models, which has not had a welcome reception in the reviews.

I have a feeling you'd be super happy with that Copper Spur UL 3.

Last edited:
Would also recommend avoiding the Fly Creek for a 2 person + dog tent. Only 1 door and only 1 vestibule, plus not near as much interior volume as other options in the 3 man market.

My buddy and I have a msr mutha hubba have been more then happy so far.

Check out the sg 2p tent, I am also very impressed with my luxe tipi and inner tent combo. A 2p setup that's less that 3lbs. Very spacious.

I've used my Fly Creek UL Platinum 2 many times with wife and labrador. . .its doable but its never been comfortable. I love that tent when I'm solo though, its hard to beat a freestanding 2lb tent and I've put it through the ringer in the 4 years I've had it and it's still going strong.

I've used my Fly Creek UL Platinum 2 many times with wife and labrador. . .its doable but its never been comfortable. I love that tent when I'm solo though, its hard to beat a freestanding 2lb tent and I've put it through the ringer in the 4 years I've had it and it's still going strong.

Nice to hear a good durability review on the platinum. Almost pulled the trigger on one as the platinum series boasts some seriously good packed weights, but questioned the durability. Glad yours has been solid.

I currently have a SO DST and a Cimarron without a nest and I currently in the market for another tent. I want a regular floor tent for the early season and for summer trips with the dog and wife. Currently looking at a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 or Copper Spur UL3. Looking for recommendations for any other suggestions. Thanks for the help!
How tall are you? The Fly Creeks--and lots of others--are snug for a long length bag.

I guess a better question is do you use a long bag or standard :)
I can squeeze a 6'6" bag in 88"+ of floor length if the walls are fairly vertical. If not I get more bag/wall contact than I like personally.

I guess a better question is do you use a long bag or standard :)
I can squeeze a 6'6" bag in 88"+ of floor length if the walls are fairly vertical. If not I get more bag/wall contact than I like personally.
Long bag. Do you have a better suggestion on a tent that might fit better?

The Copper Spur will feel functionally longer than the Fly Creek because of the wall structure, in addition to being 2" longer in spec. Based on your needs I think the Copper Spur HV UL3 would be a great choice. No shade on the Fly Creek series, I just know when I put a long bag in one when checking them out it was a quick nope for me. If I used a std length bag I'd probably own a Fly Creek of some variety.

Back