Tent stove setups

338 win mag

So I'm looking at purchasing, or building a cylinder style tent stove to heat a wall tent. I've looked at camp chef and others as well as thought of building my own. What have you guys used and how do you like them?

I used the stove in this link as the starting point for the one I had made. Beefed up the size and made some modifications to it, such as better legs.
I'm good friends with the high school shop/ag teacher and he had his best students build it for me as a class project.
Gotta love exploiting cheap labor.

So I'm looking at purchasing, or building a cylinder style tent stove to heat a wall tent. I've looked at camp chef and others as well as thought of building my own. What have you guys used and how do you like them?

I used one of the "kits" to make a barrel into a stove. It's definitely not a backpacking setup but it works great. My friend uses diesel stove for his and loves it. I'm not sure I'd go that route. I like the wood burner. Nice even dry heat and you can heat water/ or a pot of food on the stove. I'll try to get a pic if I remember. It's nothing special, that's for sure.

I used one of the "kits" to make a barrel into a stove. It's definitely not a backpacking setup but it works great. My friend uses diesel stove for his and loves it. I'm not sure I'd go that route. I like the wood burner. Nice even dry heat and you can heat water/ or a pot of food on the stove. I'll try to get a pic if I remember. It's nothing special, that's for sure.
Yeah I had thought about using a metal barrel, I guess a 30 gallon or similar size. Thanks I'll look into that

I have a backpacking tent that is screen mesh, with a rainfly that covers the tent and also closes in two small vestibules at either door. These vestibules can open from the bottom as a door, but they also open from the top, so a guy could unzip a bit and put a stove pipe through it. My question is, would it be possible to run a stove on the ground in the vestibule and run the stove pipe through the unziped opening? I figured I would need a welding blanket to wrap around the pipe so it doesn't melt the zippers or tent material. Would this work?

If i am understanding your description correctly, I believe it would work. The exhaust/chimney pipe would need to be stabilized somehow so it didn't make contact with the tent (which I assume is synthetic). The main consideration, IMO, is keeping the chimney pipe as vertical as possible to promote draft and thus, heating ability.

I have been a fan of the army. In Alaska we used a Yukon stove. They burn wood or diesel/ jet fuel. They are light compact and designed to be portable. They are best to about zero or slightly above in a 10x15 wall tent. For the below zero stuff they produced a Wheeling pot belly stove. It had a coal grate but burned wood just fine. I got both at the Army Navy surplus. I think the price was under $50 and both were portable (horse or helicopter packing). I don't know about their availability as the vintage was Korean war. Check with the Surplus store in Shelly, Idaho. They have one of anything you might want and at least 10 of things you have never thought of.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back