Tent question

trott

I need some tent advice. I am interested in buying a tent for 2-4 people. I would like to have a canvas outfitter type but i am also wanting to do it as economically as possible. If you know where the best deals on canvas, outfitters type tent please post. I have noticed the new little Coleman Heaters that run off propane and could by 2 for around 100.00. I will do most of my hunting in Oklahoma. Is there any particular kind of tent that anyone would recommend that would keep heat in fair. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Trott.

Propane heaters make more condensation. Woodstoves are the preferred MO.

Don't overlook a Cabelas Alaknak II or whatever version is out now..

Discussion was in another thread somewhere...

Here it is

Wall tents 101

I used a coleman 6 man tent in nm in december at about 9000ft. Put a tarp frame over to keep snow off weak coleman tent. Used a mr heater big buddy indoor safe propane heater with carbon monoxide alarm next to the heater. Couldnt run heater on any setting but low it put out so much heat. It snowed, and was in low 20s and teens most of the time i was there.

You mention doing it as economically as possible, but what does that mean? To some people econimical means low out of pocket expense. To others (myself included) economical can mean spending top dollar to have a product that out lasts and outperforms everything else. In my time spent outdoors I started buying low end products only to learn that I was going to need the best stuff in the end anyways. Do yourself a favor and fore-go the upgrading: take your time to research the best and spend money on the best right away. Your going to end up buying it eventually anyway. Thats what I call economical. As far as tents go, Hilleburg is the best in my experience, then there are many that will get the job done well, and then a bunch that you'll use once or twice and say "forget this". Buy quality, it always pays off.

I had a traditional wall tent that was destroyed in a severe storm. Thankfully, we were not in it. I replaced it with a Cabela's Alaknak II 12X20. I've used this new set up for two seasons now and I can't say enough good about it. I can set it up by myself. Its well ventilated. It accommodates a wood stove. It cost about 1/3 as much as a traditional wall tent. If there is something better, I would like to see it.

Last edited:
I have been investigating the same thing. I don't really want to spend 1200 to 1500 on a wall tent. The most economical option I found as well as having good quality was a canvas tent manufactured by kodiak. Cabelas carries it. It comes highly rated on the reviews. $600 for a 10x14. Check it out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back