Tell me about your obscure cartridge

YoungGun

I stumbled across another unknown cartridge (to me) yesterday- the 7 SAW, and after stumbling in to the Sherman Wildcat cartridges last year and reading about these various cartridges and their (alleged) performance, I'm genuinely curious about some of these obscure loads, wildcats, and everything in between. I'm not talking about cartridges that went out of style decades, or even a century, ago, or SAAMI spec'd ones that have ammo on the difficult end of the spectrum to find.

I want knowledge gaps filled.

Be my Tommy Lee.

nothing to rare here I do have a
222 mag
7mm dakota
> wish list is a 256 win

Winchester model 1873 original black powder cartridge.

I also have a .280 Remington. It got me into reloading since availability of factory ammo was spotty. It's great for reloading because .284 is super common. It took me about a year to develop a load that works well but I have enough supplies to duplicate the load when needed.

Is there a parent case you're using for this load? What's your typical bullet weight and MV?

There is no parent case, the brass and bullets are custom made. The brass is 30-30 brass that a guy turns down and puts the rim into the base of what is the case head of the 30-30. The same guy made those bullets by swaging the copper jacket and lead wire core. They weigh 87 grains.

It took me over a year to get it shooting because he didn’t have the rifle to check his dimensions when he made the brass and bullets. Once the brass had been made, we had to neck turn the brass so we could seat a bullet and get it to chamber in the gun

The bullets weren’t pushed clear through the sizing die after he made them, leaving a small rim of about .005 inches around the base of the bullet. I took a piece of flat steel and welded a handle on it so I could then place the bullet on a solid sheet of steel and then roll the rim flat to be able to seat the bullets.

When it was all done, it shot very well, as evidence of the dead gopher.

There is no parent case, the brass and bullets are custom made. The brass is 30-30 brass that a guy turns down and puts the rim into the base of what is the case head of the 30-30. The same guy made those bullets by swaging the copper jacket and lead wire core. They weigh 87 grains.

It took me over a year to get it shooting because he didn’t have the rifle to check his dimensions when he made the brass and bullets. Once the brass had been made, we had to neck turn the brass so we could seat a bullet and get it to chamber in the gun

The bullets weren’t pushed clear through the sizing die after he made them, leaving a small rim of about .005 inches around the base of the bullet. I took a piece of flat steel and welded a handle on it so I could then place the bullet on a solid sheet of steel and then roll the rim flat to be able to seat the bullets.

When it was all done, it shot very well, as evidence of the dead gopher.
I just read something about being able to form 7x33 Sako from 350 Legend brass. I didn't check dimensions but it may be something to look into.

I just read something about being able to form 7x33 Sako from 350 Legend brass. I didn't check dimensions but it may be something to look into.

I had a couple cases that were made from 350 Legend cases, dimensionally it is about 4 thousandths too small. The 30-30 project did work. I found a guy that had a friend in England that owed him some money, so he traded for some Sako 7X33 brass and bullets.

The custom made stuff shoots as accurate as the factory stuff. I have enough ammo and components, I will never need more…

Not to obscure but I picked up a 17 fireball its a centerfire 17 cart. was looking for a good predator gun here in Pa for yrs we hunted mostly fox and a few yotes didnt want to mess up the fox now yotes are everywhere
I love it have taken yotes out to 300 yrds 20 grain ball around 4000 fps nice n flat and no fur damage

6.5 rem mag.. currently burning through shells that were handloaded in 1984 according to the boxes. Remington rifle that came from the Remington custom shop before I bought it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back