Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Teej's 2019 Fall Extravaganza

Sometimes you can find quail in the sagebrush, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to think you’ll do it regularly.

I'll send you a text. I have a place in mind you could go look for chukars, and may find a few Huns. The physical aspect may become an issue for your dog. The rocks are hell on their feet. Some dogs just genetically have poor feet and are susceptible to abrasions and torn pads. IME, Labs tend to have foot issues in rocks.

Sometimes you can find quail in the sagebrush, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to think you’ll do it regularly.

I'll send you a text. I have a place in mind you could go look for chukars, and may find a few Huns. The physical aspect may become an issue for your dog. The rocks are hell on their feet. Some dogs just genetically have poor feet and are susceptible to abrasions and torn pads. IME, Labs tend to have foot issues in rocks.

Thanks! I think you tried to hint me a spot before but I was so focused on quail with the assumption that chukar were way harder to find (with the exception of the physical aspect) and that quail were in more open country.

I'd be curious how his paws hold up, so far it hasn't been an issue.

@neffa3 @JLS

Can you guys relate to this? Not sure why but it makes me even more excited to hunt these birds ha!

That's funny stuff. I can relate to a lot of it. Up your boot budget for sure, and plan on having shotgun stocks repaired occasionally. My SxS suffered a fracture the first season out.

Think of shooting fighter jets taking off downhill......

OH yeah I can relate. I didn't bag my first bird until year 3. I'm in 6 years now and still don't have a limit to hand.

There's a couple other upland blogs I enjoy following.
This one appears to have died, but reading the older posts is still enjoyable https://red-legged-devils.com/

OH yeah I can relate. I didn't bag my first bird until year 3. I'm in 6 years now and still don't have a limit to hand.

This one appears to have died, but reading the older posts is still enjoyable https://red-legged-devils.com/
And on my 3rd pair of boots.

haha wait I thought you said they were easier to locate?? Or you talking about trying to hit a bottle rocket flying downhill is the challenge?

I'm out after them for the first time on Friday(or Saturday depending on house hunting) and stoked to give it my best go.

haha wait I thought you said they were easier to locate?? Or you talking about trying to hit a bottle rocket flying downhill is the challenge?

I'm out after them for the first time on Friday(or Saturday depending on house hunting) and stoked to give it my best go.
Oh I've never been on a chukar hunt where I didn't see a shit pile of them, like I said finding them is easy. The thing is, it's chukar hunting... it's kinda hard to describe. But they're flushing out of range... you're falling down right before they flush, the dog bumps them, they flush when you yell at the dog to stay closer, they flush right next to your dog so you can't shoot, they flush... you watch... you run over there... they're not there. I've spent most of my chukar career without a dog, mine just couldn't figure it out, she was always too far away and I spend all my time trying to manage her and never shooting. I finally decided to leave her at home and just hike, I got pretty good at that, like I said they're not overly hard to find, then it's a race to the top, if you get there before they flush you might get some shooting in.

My two cents on this. With a good dog and a little knowledge, you'll find birds. Whether you kill any or not is up in the air. Keep your dog close and lead them more than you think. They are fast, but not as fast as quail. What makes it tough is trying to shoot while you're about to fall on your ass, which tends to be more common than not.

It never fails, I'll be walking up on a point, stop to set, and no birds. Take on step, slip, and birds flush everywhere.

I find the straight away downhills the hardest to make because I think there is the tendency to aim instead of point and shoot. Ironically, I seem to do best on the hard crossing shots, probably because there is no time to think.

Hahaha see this is the stuff I want! Reading this is just fueling the fire(we’ll see how I feel after my first hunt haha)

My most memorable elk hunts are the ones where it’s like “what the hell are we doing” or we say “yeah go elk hunting, it’ll be fun” so I can’t wait to get after these things.

Ask my dad bout the time I shot a buck in January sub zero temps in a crevice at last light. Had to hang it over night(lots of coyotes) frozen rock solid the next morning. We hog tied it to a log and carried it on our shoulders up a creek in a narrow crevice then rigged “pulleys” to get it up to the trail to the truck, that was fun! Miserable but hilarious.

I really like the shots where they try to fly uphill (like 1-2% of all shots... maybe), then they're pretty easy to hit! ;) the rest... like @JLS said, broken guns are no joke. My first gun ended up at the bottom of a big scree slope after an icy fall. I've also used it as a club to try to chase down one I winged... the dog woulda been useful on that one.

I got a co-worker of mine into it a couple of years ago. he's a mt goat, and fell in love with the effort, got a Brittany, upgrade from a pump to an auto. Came in my office in late Sept and was like "I think we should have a goal of 100 chukars this year" I just staired at him. Know how many we killed? 13. Between two guys. He hunted 12 days, I hunted 6. All that and I know toward the end of that season I was seeing 100+ birds a trip.

Last edited:
That’s awesome haha! At least you saw 100 birds!

As far as ammunition, #6 lead? Only thinking because I have a flusher, however I dabbled with heavy dove loads as my first followed by the #6s.

How many shells do you pocket?

These sound like terribly rookie hunting questions but I guess I’m a terribly new rookie chukar.

As far as ammunition, #6 lead? Only thinking because I have a flusher, however I dabbled with heavy dove loads as my first followed by the #6s.

These sound like terribly rookie hunting questions but I guess I’m a terribly new rookie chukar.
Doesn't really matter, it's not like you're gonna be hitting anything ;)

I've used everything from 7 1/2 to 2s, sometimes on the same day. I prefer 4s, and as soon as I get through my lead I'm going to steel.

Quantity? I take a shitload, like an entire box, which I've gone through before. If it's a big day, two boxes... ya never know!

I shoot 1 1/8 oz loads in my 16 gauge. I've used both #5 and 6 shot. I think I prefer #5s. Seems like I have a few more cripples with the #6s.

With your flusher, I'd probably use a modified choke. I shoot I/C in one barrel and M in the other. You might even go IM.

I carry a box in my vest. Some days I've burned through them. There have been a few days when I thought my vest was getting awfully heavy, and found I had about 40 rounds in the pocket.

Carry lots of water for your dog. I usually carry 3-4 liters, unless its super cold and snow on the ground.

Awesome thanks guys! Thanks for the info and fueling the fire!🔥 can’t wait to get after em on these mountains and question myself😂🤣

@JLS @neffa3 you guys must be maniacs because I swear that hunt just made me question my existence and sanity🤣

oh and I’m coining the phrase “the chukar cha cha cha” it’s when you’re losing your footing and you’re not sure if traction is going to be your friend or if you’ll end up at the bottom of the mountain.

Ended up flushing 3 coveys, one I coulda had a shot at but I didn’t believe boomer found another covey 5min after he flushed one so I didn’t haul butt down to em. All in all it was hilarious, and frustrating and hilarious and painful. The dusting of snow made footholds impossible. I’ve never fallen with a gun in my hands so many times in my entire life. It’s a blast landing on rocks...

A484EE2D-3016-4EBF-AA55-13F5320CE431.jpeg98770AFD-73C3-4C33-B7E9-1610F6EDA1C1.jpeg4E92EEFA-E6BB-4416-8563-BB5517963F0E.jpeg69F2A97B-960F-47D8-BFCA-C289CA014A20.jpeg
Only chukar we got in hand, frozen and long since dead hahaFEC3CC40-FA60-4665-8F0E-BFDFC2ED2489.jpeg

Took a little stroll to our waterfowl spot and brought back a teal, a mallard and 2 snipe. Never seen a snipe in real life or attempted to hunt them but was seeing these little birds flying and one flew by real close and I thought I recognized it as a snipe. Looked it up online and now these birds became part of the quarry once I walked the entire ditch for ducks.

B3778950-4275-4B44-81D5-041D1A32E709.jpegE3F7A9D5-73F4-41D8-9264-573EF1A3D7CA.jpeg

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back