Teej's 2019 Fall Extravaganza

Day 16: went out for a short morning hunt for my dad. Nothing too exciting, saw a couple groups of elk, had 2 options in the valley we overlooked and for the first time this entire trip had our hunt busted by two hunters bathing down a finger into the valley and every elk scattered.

Found out at noon my bud who missed the giant on day 8 or so, he killed a 6pt the night prior after they went back in after packing out my bull.

Fortunately his bull was only 1.5mi from the truck so him and I deboned it and got it all out in one grueling hike haha my other bud is still out there hiking the hills trying to find him one, he has 1 day left.

5306F881-9700-41ED-828A-2313F7C884D2.jpeg

56343009-4440-4301-98F6-5103AE281F6F.jpeg

Also found this guy, the third of the trip.

9EEB8F97-9401-4208-AEA6-3ACF40282FFC.jpeg

What kinda spider is this? They’re everywhere and they’ll attack the damn trekking pole, I hate spiders but I won’t kill these dudes as I don’t want karma with them haha

7D82319F-086D-43E7-855E-6D37288A770B.png

Great hunt. Nothing like rolling around in some gumbo. I think my truck was still full of it when I sold it 3 years later.

I’m interested to know what kind of spiders they are too! We ran into probably 100 per day. And they are super aggressive.
Fantastic write up so far it’s definitely been fun following your success.

Looking at my Plants and Animals book it is possibly a Great Basin Wolf Spider...
Or a Carolina Wolf Spider.Found throughout the United States.
Females guard eggs in a burrow in open fields.Carolina Spider is the largest
Wolf spider in North America. 🔥
And they love eating Humans...Ha!,Ha!

Looking at my Plants and Animals book it is possibly a Great Basin Wolf Spider...
Or a Carolina Wolf Spider.Found throughout the United States.
Females guard eggs in a burrow in open fields.Carolina Spider is the largest
Wolf spider in North America. 🔥
And they love eating Humans...Ha!,Ha!

Yeah I don’t doubt the human eating part, I saw how they looked at me😂🤣

When we bivvy’d out my bud had a colorless teepee and after seeing 9,000,000 of these spiders in a day I was like yeah no thanks, I’ll bring my one man Hahahaha

Day 17 Part 1: The last day. We took our time and ate breakfast then hiked up into where we had our bivvy gear. We got up there and apparently our bud who stayed out the last night ended up packing over half of it out. Got the rest of it and headed back to camp. We get into camp and my bud who camped out last night is back in his tent, we’re like did you swim here? If not he woulda had to hike 10+ miles to get to our main camp.

He goes well I shot one this morning. Apparently he went back to the spike camp and took what I could And got to the lake to see if he could see us and then some guy on his boat saw him and picked him up giving him a ride back to our camp haha I called him Gilligan for the remainder of the trip🤣😂

Apparently he chased bugles all morning, got in on a 5x5, drew on em in the timber under 20yds. As he was aiming another bull came outta nowhere and ran off the 5x5 right into my buds sights and he let the arrow fly. Didn’t go after it just knew it was a good shot and backed out.

Not all Hail Mary's end with a touchdown. You gave it a huge effort, and were rewarded with a great season. Congratulations, and thanks for your story share.

Not all Hail Mary's end with a touchdown. You gave it a huge effort, and were rewarded with a great season. Congratulations, and thanks for your story share.

Thanks! He said when he went after the bull he said this is his last stalk of the week then he’s packing it up. Worked out well!

I’m interested to know what kind of spiders they are too! We ran into probably 100 per day. And they are super aggressive.
Fantastic write up so far it’s definitely been fun following your success.

Yeah those buggers are nasty! Hate em.

You going back in October? Don’t forget to get a hold of me before you do.

There is a massive 5x5 with a broken main beam back there still I bet, my bud chased for 2 days straight. Said he saw that bull trot across valleys to confront other bulls and win fights or run em off.

Yeah those buggers are nasty! Hate em.

You going back in October? Don’t forget to get a hold of me before you do.

There is a massive 5x5 with a broken main beam back there still I bet, my bud chased for 2 days straight. Said he saw that bull trot across valleys to confront other bulls and win fights or run em off.
I don’t have any more days off so if I’m able I’ll have to drive through the night Friday and leave the Sunday afternoon. It’s still a possibility that I haven’t given up on. I definitely appreciated all your advise leading up to it!
This guy here is one awesome dude! I’m just upset we didn’t get to share in our fine beverages together

I don’t have any more days off so if I’m able I’ll have to drive through the night Friday and leave the Sunday afternoon. It’s still a possibility that I haven’t given up on. I definitely appreciated all your advise leading up to it!
This guy here is one awesome dude! I’m just upset we didn’t get to share in our fine beverages together

It’d be worth it! I vote you should and suck it the sleep deprivation the following Monday.

Day 17 Part 2: This is where it gets “fun”. We head out at 4pm to go get the bull in my buds truck. Get about 75% there and we hit a rock and hear the gut wrenching hissing noise that no one likes.... flat tire, middle of the prairie, miles from base camp and miles from the downed bull.

No worries tho, we have a spare. Get that out and get the lug wrench. Well, the aftermarket wheels he has on his truck requires a standard socket as his lug wrench doesn’t fit.

We try filling it with a portable compressor but there’s no hope. Only way out is to ride the tire on the wheel the whole way out. We finally get back to the main dirt road, flagged down a truck and here’s a guy with a Miller light in his hand, 2 empties in the cup holders and more on the floor haha we ask em if he had a socket set and he goes “have any beer?” Hahahaha!

Somehow someway he has exactly what we need! He said he started out about a 100 miles down and just took the day to do some driving around and have some beers haha

He ribs me a bit for moving to WA and when we get the tire changed he goes no problem, it’ll be $15 per lug and looks like you have 8 lugs *long pause* and I go “that’s fine, $15 each at 8 lugs, whatcha got?” And he stares at me go and goes “ahhhhh you got me there!” We tried leaving him some cash and he refused.

We take off with 3 good tires and a spare, it’s now 5:30ish. By the time we get there and hike in it was starting to get dark. However with 5 of us working and cutting we got him broke down real fast and got em back to the truck, the last bull out for the trip. Fortunately I knew where he killed it and even tho it’s was a couple miles from our spike camp it was about .75mi from a nearby “road” I’ve been on before.

Get back to camp at 9:30, 5.5hrs later. Get into dry clothes, break out the beers, the butter, onions, seasoning and start cutting up that heart. That last night we drank and cooked heart all night, was a helluva ended and my bud got his first ever elk on the last day(after 5 years of hunting elk and his misses on this trip) and my other bud got his first ever archery bull.

016944ED-9B9B-4DB8-96C7-41A079ECCF12.jpegA217EFEC-EF6C-43C7-99F8-E76D8D28F77D.jpeg

What a trip man! Congrats on the memories, the stories, and the steaks.

The snake pic didn't bother me at all, but that spider... I hate those things. We have a bunch of them here and where I antelope hunt in Wyoming. Seems like in September and early October they are out in force. Pretty creepy when you see their eyes reflected in your headlamp on those morning and night time walks.

What a trip man! Congrats on the memories, the stories, and the steaks.

The snake pic didn't bother me at all, but that spider... I hate those things. We have a bunch of them here and where I antelope hunt in Wyoming. Seems like in September and early October they are out in force. Pretty creepy when you see their eyes reflected in your headlamp on those morning and night time walks.

Im the same way haha the snakes are cool as hell, when I hear a rattler my buds laugh cuz they back away and I go to find it🤣😂

Spiders tho, forget that nonsense. They gimme the chills🤣😂

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back