Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Team Bucket

Whiskers

I own The Chumbucket in West Creek, NJ. Thats why the name Team Bucket, I try to fish as many tournaments as I can, and am capable of participating in. Usually Fluke (summer flounder for you westerners) and Striped Bass.

Last weekend was the Sunshine Foundations 11th annual tournament. www.sunshinefoundation.com I am on the local board as public relations guy :D,(how messed up is that).

We had 227 boats entered this year, at $65 a boat, first place paid $800, 2nd $400 and 3rd $300. Everything else goes to the Sunshine Foundation. We have a big party with beer, food, music, and lots of door prizes (everything is donated from the beer to the music). Last year we came up with $38,000 we sent to the national chapter.

Team Bucket,Hugh Brown, John Henson, and myself left the dock on my boat the NanSea AnnII at 5am headed to our pre determined spots, scouted by me on Thursday and Friday. Lines could not go in before 6am,(honor system)so we had a little drift time before we could start to fish. At 6am on the dot we dropped lines. The first drift brought up nothing but skates, and dog sharks. We got out of there in a hurry, and headed to the 2nd favored spot. Hugh hooked up the first fish a keeper 22.5 inch Fluke on a spro 1/2 oz magic bus bucktail. We caught about 20-25 shorts in that spot before the bite died. We hauled ass across about 6 mile down the bay and damn if ol Hugh didn't snag the next keeper 21 inch fluke, same rig. We picked up probably another 20 shorts there, then the bite died. Another quick run about 4 mile down the bay, did one drift, no hits, we were outta there. Ran over to grassy channel about 6 miles east of where we were. By now its about 1pm, John was half laying in the bow, line out. Ol Hugh just dropped his line, and he yelled GET THE NET....GET THE $*)Q!#@$ NET....GET THE $*)Q!#@$ NET NOW.
He said it that quick, that many times before anyone could move. John grabbed the net, and up came a 26inch over 6lb Fluke. We had been talking via radio, and cell phones to other boats during the day, and knew no one in our Calcutta had a fish that large. Other than the tournament Calcutta, we often have side Calcuttas. It takes two fish to weigh in. We came in 5th out of 227 boats, and won the side Calcutta. Which netted us a quick $300 each.

Here is ol Hughs fish, I wish he would not have lay them on his $50 Columbia Fishing Shirt, but I guess the stains will come out.

sunshine_team_bucket_1_84113.jpg

Ole Hugh, holding his two biggest fish, Hugh is a pretty big ol boy 6'4 almost 300lbs, the fish don't look that big with him holdin them, now if I was holding them they would look like whales.

6lb_fluke_1.jpg

Back