Team Bad Decision: An Evolutionary Tale in Backcountry Hunting

Yooper906

Just got done reading this book and I am impressed! Easy, fun and exciting read. Highly recommend this book to anybody that likes adventure and reading. What other books out there do you recommend geared towards hunting? I've read "Man made of Elk" "American Buffalo" "Lewis and Clark Journals"

While really only slightly based on hunting, I’m close to finishing up Old Jules right now. Captures some good snap shots of hunting in western Nebraska when it was still the frontier in the 1880s through the early 1900s. The book was written in the 30s and there is some interesting history relating to hunting in it for sure. It might could be of interest to you.

I read A Quiet Place of Violence a little while back. Good read for hunting but not much of an adventure story.

While really only slightly based on hunting, I’m close to finishing up Old Jules right now. Captures some good snap shots of hunting in western Nebraska when it was still the frontier in the 1880s through the early 1900s. The book was written in the 30s and there is some interesting history relating to hunting in it for sure. It might could be of interest to you.

I read A Quiet Place of Violence a little while back. Good read for hunting but not much of an adventure story.
I'll check this out! I'm trying to read alittle more every year, but I don't have interest in fiction stories all that much

Just got done reading this book and I am impressed! Easy, fun and exciting read. Highly recommend this book to anybody that likes adventure and reading. What other books out there do you recommend geared towards hunting? I've read "Man made of Elk" "American Buffalo" "Lewis and Clark Journals"

Looks like something I would enjoy reading. Unless I overlooked it, Amazon only has the ebook version, but found the paperback version available on the website.

Looks like something I would enjoy reading. Unless I overlooked it, Amazon only has the ebook version, but found the paperback version available on the website.
Yeah, I ended up getting the ebook on my iPad.

A couple of my favorites:

"One Man's Wilderness" by Warren Page
"Hunting the Great Plains" by John Barsness
"Game in the Desert" by Jack O'Connor
"Mule Deer Quest" by Walt Prothero

There are previous threads on this site with lists of books that some searching might turn up.

Theodore Roosevelt, Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail. Many of Roosevelt’s books on hunting ND, MT and other places are public domain and can be read online for free.

These are a little off-topic of the adventure genre, but I get the impression you might enjoy them - I sure did:
“American Serengeti” and “Coming Home to the Pleistocene”.

Broaden your horizons, Africa and NZ have some great books. Of course anything by Jim Corbett is well worth the time.

I have a bad habit of grabbing a book to read and then leaving it near my bed and grabbing another. My pile is just about big enough to move back up stairs I think!

View attachment 127684

I have three of those in my stack currently... wife got irritated when my tower fell over on her in the middle of the night and I had to downsize ;)

This is next on my list:

Heard a few of his stories on a podcast and got me intrigued.
I read this one too. Definitely an entertaining read!

Undaunted Courage by Amrbose was really good. It's a Lewis and Clark journal. Do not read if planning on hunting in griz country 😬 .

A conservation book rather than full on hunting, but one of my favorites.
The Last Stand: The Life of George Byrd Grinnell and his Quest to Save the Buffalo

I was friends in college with Travis (author of TBD). We partied together a fair bit, but I think we only ever hunted together once. We chatted online when he got done with the book. Glad to hear it turned out well.

This is one of my favorite books about hunting...really makes you think about the old days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and how incredible the hunting was. Great stories start to finish, told in an entertaining, understated manner.

20200214_114120 2.jpg

This is one of my favorite books about hunting...really makes you think about the old days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and how incredible the hunting was. Great stories start to finish, told in an entertaining, understated manner.

View attachment 128181
Gonna give this book a try. Looks like it is similar to "Under The Biggest Sky of All" by Ron Mills

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back